100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I suck

"Richard"

I suck

My short game has completely fallen apart. I can't putt to save my life and I cant even chip within 15 yards of the flag anymore. I have 3 big matches coming up that I don't want to lose. I'm going to spend the next few days at the range, can you give me some drills to help with this? I'm not leaving the range until I have this down! thanks in advance.

Also, dan kilbank is not permited to trash talk in this thread

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    lol, I can't help because my wedge and putter abandonned me on the back todya, but that's the finnyest, most well timed (given my mood right now) thread topic I've seen yet.

Maybe I can throw something out there, make sure to accelerate through the short shots.

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    Work on keeping the hands/wrists out of it. For chipping and pitching, concentrate on keeping the lead wrist flat/back wrist bent all the way through. Swing with the arms and upper body. The drill where you hold a stick or another club with your club extending it well past your hands is great as it forces you not to flip (or it will smack you in the side).

For putting, again hands and wrists are usually a source of inconsistency. Video yourself putting and make sure everything is lined up square. Work on staying still and only putt with you shoulders.
    I don't have an ulcer - I am just a carrier.

"Richard"
    yeah I def have to do that, I'm always scared I will hit it to far if I do that but with such a short take away how far can you actually hit it. I suck

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    The pressure, the pressure.

If you're having trouble chipping, I'm guessing that you're probably stabbing at the ball, i.e. making a short, quick stroke.

What you should do when you go to the range, or better yet someplace with a chipping green, is to hit a lot of chips where you concentrate on a smooth, sweeping motion. Think of chips as long putts with a wedge. As mentioned above, make sure your wrists hands are not flipping or scooping.

Scoop = dead.

"Richard"
    but when I watch tour palyers chip they use all wrist and flip the wrist over fast... I rarely see them keep the wrist flat and putt through the ball.

Tour players are often hitting flop shots, which are very low percentage for amateurs.

You're much better off hitting a soft chip that runs a bit than trying to get it to stop dead.

Also, you may be confusing what their hands do AFTER impact. At impact you can bet that they are flat.

"Richard"
    interesting, so basically go to the range and get on the chipping area. Pace out the distance and use the same motion with all my clubs from 5i to sw and see how far each goes and just use that? so wrist flat, hands ahead of club, smooth putting motion accelerating through the ball.. correct?

Anyone have an idea for flight and roll for each club? I head SW was 60% air and 40% roll or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    interesting, so basically go to the range and get on the chipping area. Pace out the distance and use the same motion with all my clubs from 5i to sw and see how far each goes and just use that? so wrist flat, hands ahead of club, smooth putting motion accelerating through the ball.. correct?

Anyone have an idea for flight and roll for each club? I head SW was 60% air and 40% roll or something like that.
    You got it.

I'm pretty sure you'll be able to find a google reference to the respective carry vs roll. Don't forget that terrain (uphill/downhill, etc) will also affect the ratios.

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    While talking about chipping, I have a question:

When I watch the tour players chip; it almost seems like as soon as the ball hits the green it hesitates for a split second, and then it releases softly to the hole.

When I chip it seems like the ball hits and rolls immediately. No slight hesitation or soft release. Just hit the green and roll depending on how hard I hit it.

Does what I am saying makes sense to anyone? If so, what causes the slight hesitation and soft release and what drills can I do to get that?
    Proud member of the 2009 Ryder Cup winning team

What type of ball are you playing?

"Richard"
    Basic 9 iron short running chip distance = 4 metre carry plus 15 metre roll, add or subtract 2 metres roll for each club. Basic 9 iron long running chip distance = 8 metre carry plus 25 metre roll, add or subtract 5 metres roll for each club. Basic 9 iron short stopping chip distance = 4 metre carry plus 10 metre roll, add or subtract 2 metres roll for each club. Basic 9 iron long stopping chip distance = 8 metre carry plus 20 metre roll, add or subtract 2 metres roll for each club.

"Richard"
    me? hogan apex tour

Driver dreaded_snowman is on a distinguished road dreaded_snowman's Avatar

Know the distance

One thing I would suggest is that when you're actually playing, know the real distance. If you're close enough to chip, pace the distance to the pin (if you can) or at least to the edge of the green. Don't let your scoffing partners deter you. A couple of tap ins and they'll keep it to themselves.

Folks I play with scoff at me for wanting to know exactly, but if I can chip 20 yards exactly, and I do it, but the pin was really 23 yards away, it's a fairly hard putt to make for my good chip. Often when my friends guess, they're out by 3-5 yards and say "welll, I was close enough". 3 yards is a big difference in a putt.

The other advantage of pacing is you have a chance to have a look at the green your ball will be rolling on. Pay attention to the break, just like you would for a putt. Nothing worse than an excellent chip that proceeds to run 3 yards right (and come up shorter as a result) because you were chipping uphill to a green into a break you didn't see.... Chip like you putt - try and put the ball in the hole.

Good luck.

Postaholic mcgoo is on a distinguished road
    Dreaded Snowman; I had the pleasure of playing with you this week and you did not "practice what you preach". You rushed you chips.
    Last edited by mcgoo; 09-02-2006 at 08:55 PM.

"Richard"
    maybe you made him nervous!

Whatever

Regardless of anything I may do in a particular round, it's sound advice. Our slow group play was the reason I was rushing - I don't like holding other groups up, regardless of the effect on my game.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dreaded_snowman
    Regardless of anything I may do in a particular round, it's sound advice. Our slow group play was the reason I was rushing - I don't like holding other groups up, regardless of the effect on my game.

WTG Rob
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

"Richard"
    screw that, I don't care how long my group is taking.. I'm going to take my 100 strokes, I don't speed up for anyone.

Indio; take a rest

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgoo
    Indio; take a rest
    McGoo, the thumbs up was that he didn't want to slow up play.....whats your problem?
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgoo
    Dreaded Snowman; I had the pleasure of playing with you this week and you did not "practice what you preach". You rushed you chips.

Bet he won't be playing with you again after such comments.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

I hope not, but I may have highjacked this thread from it's original intention. For this I apologize.

7 Wood bugsy is on a distinguished road bugsy's Avatar
    screw that, I don't care how long my group is taking.. I'm going to take my 100 strokes, I don't speed up for anyone.
    DUH Except for the Cart Girl
    Bugsy Rules, Indio drools

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    but when I watch tour palyers chip they use all wrist and flip the wrist over fast... I rarely see them keep the wrist flat and putt through the ball.
    Completely disagree. Watch them again and for most typical chips and pitches they hold their wrist set all the way through. No matter what the shot your lead wrist has to be flat at impact with the club head behind the hands. This is especially true on flops - skulled flops are the result of flipping!
    I don't have an ulcer - I am just a carrier.

Use the stick

I wasn't suggesting you should rush, Richard. It's just something I'm prone to do when the hole in front is open and the group behind is waiting. Yet another reason I suck.

An earlier poster mentioned the stick drill - hold a stick or club in your hands on the grip with the other end pointing up under your left arm (assuming you're right handed). Then when you chip, you can't collapse your wrists or the stick hits you.

There's a time and place for a flop shot or high pitch, but any time you can go low and roll the ball is much better - the outcome is more predictable.

You MUST go to the chipping range and chip many balls with your chipping clubs of choice and find out how far they go. You don't even need to chip at a hole (it's just a distraction - you're after distance). Chip to someplace relatively flat, and then you can adjust for up/down hill as required on the course.

Then when you need 20 yards, you get twenty yards, and when you swing the club, you believe that you'll get 20 yards. This confidence what will stop the yips & fluffs.

I play mainly Titleist DTs, but have played others. The ball is no making a difference. I am convinced it is in my technique.

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent
    What type of ball are you playing?

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Hey Richard, this may , or may not work , but i'm getting some super results from this practice. Only use one club for all chipping . In my case is my sand wedge , anything from 80 yds or less , this is the only club is use,( except for extreme scenarios) and i am so used to how this club reacts , my short game has improved way beyond my expectations.
    I know how to swing it from a flop shot , to a pitch and run , and my confidence around the greens is at high.
    Kevin haimes is a good facility for short game , good luck , hope it works out !
    One other thing , find a lie similar to your golf balls lie , and take 5 or 6 practice swings before you think about hitting your shot , and keep your head down (obviously) !!!
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Quote Originally Posted by rezadue
    I play mainly Titleist DTs, but have played others. The ball is no making a difference. I am convinced it is in my technique.
    The ball will make a big difference. If you compare a DT to a ProV1 for example, there's a very big difference.

Technique wise, if you are scooping the ball you won't get any spin. Chips and pitches should be hit with a descending stroke, wrists staying firm the whole time. By hitting down on the ball you "pinch" it a little between the club and the ground which puts more spin on it.

Compare this to a flop where you sweep under the ball. Flop shots generally have very little or no spin on the ball because they aren't pinched against the ground.

I have played a few Pro V1s and have not noted a difference. I am pretty sure I keep the wrist from breaking. I think the problem might be that I don't hit down on the ball. I will have to give that a try and see if I can promote the same action.

Thread Information