100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Amateur BullDog is on a distinguished road BullDog's Avatar

Cornwall Golf & Country Club

I'm entered in the C class (couldn't get the 'cap down to B standards) at the Cornwall Open tomorrow. Has anyone played the course? I haven't.

I have no clue what kind of course it is, though the Slammer Tour organizer says that the greens there are lightning fast. Should be fun. It's a private course and their web site lacks detail... not even a score card. I'd like an idea as to what awaits me - anyone out there who can help?

Thanks!

Mike

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    I am playing the A on monday.. I do every year. Mostly for one reason.. Best greens I get to see all year. Usually the course in good shape. Greens will be lightning. My only advice would be to stay below the hole.. Especially on 9.. Good luck.
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Quote Originally Posted by scottycameron
    I am playing the A on monday.. I do every year. Mostly for one reason.. Best greens I get to see all year. Usually the course in good shape. Greens will be lightning. My only advice would be to stay below the hole.. Especially on 9.. Good luck.
    So is it a tree-lined course (sort of like Upper Canada) or wide open fairways (links style like Cloverdale) or a combination (like Oaks of Cobden)? Yardage from the whites and blues - do you need length or is this a leave the driver in the bag most holes with little tactical shots being in order?

Its not overlly long at all.. Some tight holes.. Not a ton of trees. You can spray it a bit. Its not overlly tough.. Just the greens are.

5 Wood amac is on a distinguished road
    Bulldog? It's the Natural. I played in the A class last year (although I can't this year because our club championship is this weekend).

It is an old style layout, lots of mature trees, gentle doglegs, and it has moderate length.

Two things adversely affected my score last year that you should be aware of:

1) staying below the hole...those greens are fast and you have to respect that.

2) chipping from near the green is often from rather course rough. You need to know how hard to hit your short chips to get the right distance control on your chips, while not skulling or chunking the shot.

It is a fine layout...good luck and enjoy the day!

Quote Originally Posted by amac
    Bulldog? It's the Natural. I played in the A class last year (although I can't this year because our club championship is this weekend).

It is an old style layout, lots of mature trees, gentle doglegs, and it has moderate length.
    Hey - yep, it's the BullDog. Thanks for the info - this is exactly what I was looking for. Good luck in your club championship!!

...and good luck to any other forum members playing the Open this week. I'm teeing off at 12:14 on Saturday, so drop by to say hi - I'll likely be wearing my white Slammer Tour golf shirt.

Bogie mikelaurin is on a distinguished road
    IM teeing off at 11.47 like Scotty Cameron said stay below the hole lots of room off tee par 5s are not that long these will be the fastest greens you play all year.Won 3 years ago with a 77 in b flight also 2nd twice with 78 and 80,if you shoot your handicap you will win a good prize 10 in each flight worst prize dozen pro vs best prize driver tv or stereo best of luck

Its not overlly long at all.. Some tight holes.. Not a ton of trees. You can spray it a bit. Its not overlly tough.. Just the greens are.
    Not long? It plays about 6600 from the tips. I drove well today so the distance didn't matter much. The importance of respecting the greens cannot be emphasized enough. They didn't hurt me but one of my fellow competitors chipped from one side to the other and back more two or three times. It was painful to watch.

Almost eagled 11! Got the birdie though.

Toed my approach on 9 OB and got in all kinds of trouble hitting my fifth shot left of the sand... got a 9 on #9.

Three other triples saw me shoot a 98 - I currently am playing to a 17.6 handicap that they adjusted up to a 20 because it's rated at 71.5 with a slope of 127. If it hadn't been for four hideous holes I'd have been in the prizes. I guess that's why I have a 17 handicap. C class "paid" up to gross scores of 92.

Awesome experience and I can't wait to go back next year now that I know the course a bit better and can play a few shots a bit differently.

Mike

Good report back.. glad you enjoyed it.. Its always one of my fav. tournies.. Heard the greens were running in the 11 range.. Hopefully the rain will soften them up before monday.. I will let you know how I make out.. Cheers!

Bogie mikelaurin is on a distinguished road
    Dont feel bad birdied 3 110 out on fourth hole short sided where green is narrow ping pong in bunkers quad 2 other triples shot 90

Well just back from the Cornwall Open A class.. struggled commin in but shot 77.. Finished bogey, double, par.. Won low net for the day though New Titleist bag..

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Well just back from the Cornwall Open A class.. struggled commin in but shot 77.. Finished bogey, double, par.. Won low net for the day though New Titleist bag..
    Congrats Scotty! How long will it take you to put it up FS or FT?
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Not long.. I need to decide what bag is going.. I now have two Titleist stand bags.. One has to go.. Not sure which though.

Thread Information