100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hey guys....

Sand Wedge braydond is on a distinguished road braydond's Avatar

Hey guys....

I'm new to the forum and game. Picked it up 1 month ago and i've been to the range so much that i'm recovering from a back injury now .

Are you guys all experienced players? How you handle playing with new players like myself? I work from home and can get out to play anytime and i'd love to get out a few times a week. I'm working incredibly hard at my game.

I bought a set of dunlops exd from crappy tire a month ago and they really were crappy. I knew nothing about golf at all. Turns out the grips were too small and they were too short; i'm 6.2', so i returned them. I had a set custom built for me but i haven't practiced with them yet due to my injury. They seem really nice though I've read about 5 books in the past month and I watch every game. I'd like to become a scratch player in 2 years so I can use all the practice and help I can get

Thanks for the response.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    When you become a scratch player in two years would you let us know how to do it. We have all been waiting with baited breath for the secret.....it will be like the Holy Grail of Golf and you will have riches beyond your wildest dreams. Welcome
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Welcome aboard braydond - I certainly understand your desire to be a scratch player, but I'd highly recommend setting some intermediate milestones as well like breaking 100, breaking 90, breaking 80, maintaining a single digit handicap etc.

You'd be amazed at how hitting one of those intermediate milestones can boast your confidence.

On a related note, do you know why then named this great game golf??

......because all of the really good 4 letter words were already taken

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    A scratch player in 2 years???? Ummmmmm, can I have some of what you are smoking please???

Welcome to the forum Braydon, you will meet many good golfers in here (I'm just not one of them) and I am sure you can pick their brains! (leave that one alone Hacker!)
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Got My Card zoic is on a distinguished road zoic's Avatar
    Indio, it is not that odd apparently. I had a friend who went to golf school and had lessons for 2 years without ever playing on a course. He went and played Dome Hill with me at the start of year 3, shot a 76, his first actual round of golf. This was many years ago, he was younger and very athletic. I am sure if someone took proper lessons extensively they could go out and par a lot of courses in this region.
    [COLOR=DarkRed]"Friends don't let friends use Internet Explorer"

[/COLOR]Kevin

8 Iron K D is on a distinguished road K D's Avatar
    Curious. Zoic, did he happen to play tennis, baseball or some other sport with a repetitive swing? They say that can really help with your golf swing.

Welcome braydond and hello fellow newbie! While I'm not quite as ambitious as you, I am looking forward to improving my game

K D, I think he played tennis too, and he was also very physically fit from years of intensive martial arts training. I think that helped him to be more focused probably, nothing rattled him when he was hitting the ball.

[/COLOR]Kevin

Did i mention i'm really good at martial arts too? I haven't played enough to have started smoking the strong stuff yet, lol.

Thanks for the great welcome guys. I just picked up a bunch of dvds today with one being on ben hogan and his swing. I sleep eat and dream gold 24/7. Can't wait for my back to heal so I can play. I probably know more about hitting trick shots and from bad lies than just hitting the ball straight lol.

I played the national with a 4some, best all and we shot a 76. I got best ball on the 18th which is an island so i was pretty proud.

Hacker thanks for the input. I definitely will set small goals to hit too. Did I mention I have free passes to a few courses all the time? haha. I have to confirm which ones and will let you know. I think they are in Almyer

By the way "braydond" have you met "richard" yet? He is going to luv you

Hey Mac, no I haven't who is he?

How important is it for me to have golf shoes right now? That's the only thing missing from my arsenal.

I am going to vote on the "not important" side of this question, since I played in sock feet in the rain this year when my sandals blew, and I still hit the ball well, just a little shorter but very straight, since I could not swing hard. Not swinging so hard has improved my game IMMENSELY.

So ... if you are slipping with your current shoes and the hard any tread at all, you are just swinging to hard.

[/COLOR]Kevin

Kevin---he's fishing!

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Try it at the range first , Kevin haimes will let you hit off the grass on occasions, if your not slipping too much leave it for a while and look out for golf sales. (SPorts expert at Bayshore mall has one on at the moment) , Oh welcome to the forum and good luck with your goals, and trust me all the luck you can get... take it !
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

I found a nice pair of Tommy Armor, black for 69 bucks on sale at sport mart in nepean. I've noticed a huge difference in balance. It's getting close to the end of the golf season for stores so it was hard to find a size 13 anywhere. lol.

Clubs, I had to return my accuform clubs. Hated them! There was a tiny sweet spot and all my shots were slicing badly. Something just felt wrong about them. There was nothing i could do to keep the club face close at seperation. I even lost 50yrds of with those accuforms. Wonder why they went out of business I heard their tour model clubs was the best back in the day.

I now have a ver nice set of Canadian Jazz clubs. Haven't used them much yet but I hit some great shots in the simulator. Atleast straight

Hey, have you guys ever used a chiropractor? How do you feel about it?

I used to do alot of jiujitsu and after i hurt my back swinging at the range i went to see one and it turns out i have a slight bend to my spine and 19lbs heavier on my left side. Damn. That's good for my swing though lol. He want's to put me on a 18 month plan to straighten me out, if he was a hot she, i won't be objecting at all. lol She can straighten me out any day and all day

So yeah...18 months. 3 times a week for 3 months and then 2/week for another x months etc. blah.

Good things is that i'm not paying for it if i did do it.

So chiro, good or bad?

Hard to give a straight answer since there are dangers involved when one has there neck snapped harshly, but it sure feels good after, getting released and uncaught so to speak. I had to use one for many months to be able to even work again, neck problems from cradding a telephone all day on my shoulder while working a volume of catalogues, keyboard and computer. It got me straightened out fine.

That was about 8 years ago. I did not follow the regiment of appts, had to pay myself so as I healed I made decisions about frequency myself.

Jumping to present time I still need to see him but I do not. I am having issues now related to computer usage, mousing and typing, part of my new career for the last 6 years. In this case I find that stretching and exercise can help immensely, and golf sometimes gets me "freed up" so the speak from swinging the club. At other times I am so caught that is sounds like a ratchet in my shoulders when I swing.

If you really need to see one to overcome constant pain, do it. In your case it might be necessary to do the full regiment for a proper alignment outcome, but try to avoid the next snaps as much as possible, those are the ones that can be dangerous if executed improperly, and you really need to let your neck muscles relax for it to work. The adjustment where they wrap your arms around you, then they wraps their arms around you and press down on you are the best, you feel you hole back (vertabrae) kinda roll into place. I refer to it as the Ventura body slam, hahaha.

[/COLOR]Kevin

IMHO, Chiro = good.

I go regularly, and in the past have used chiropractic therapy several times to cure my back pain after suffering an injury. The chiro I go to does something called active release therapy (ART) rather than the ol' snap and crack that Zoic seems to be referring to, which realigns the vetebrae in a more gentle way. No sudden neck snaps or Ventura body slams, but the effect is the same.
    [SIZE=1][I]If I wanted to hear the pitter patter of little feet I'd put shoes on my cat.[/I][/SIZE]

I've had this one "Ventura body slam" and it feels pretty good. Esp when it pops the vertebra thats pinching my nerve. The never is better today. I did to sessions of acupuncture and going for the last tomorrow. Once that heals i'll decide on the chiro. I don't mind doing the back alignment but the neck thing makes me really uncomfortable.

I just bout a complete weight training guide for golf This should help lesson my injuries.

It is different for everyone of course, acupuncture did not do boo for my wife, and an initial chiro session done with special care to be gentle left her with strange bruising on the back. She does massage therapy every week and special daily stretches that were shown to her from Physio Therapy, and I find sports injuries are usually dealt with by PT as well.

Your alignment situation is more for the chiro though, or ART as KD suggests which is more of a gentle manipulation. I use some stretches I have figured out to do my own gentle manipulation that keeps me fairly flexible and helps range of motion. Just golfing and staying away from the computer for the day is all I need sometimes to feel relaxed and loose, instead of tense and caught up.

[/COLOR]Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by braydond
    I don't mind doing the back alignment but the neck thing makes me really uncomfortable.
    A good chiro would respect this.
    [SIZE=1][I]If I wanted to hear the pitter patter of little feet I'd put shoes on my cat.[/I][/SIZE]

Okay, had my 2nd game in Aylmer at Les Vieux Moulins and I had people telling me that I should definitely be playing pro golf. This is after my second golf game ever. I bought clubs a month ago and have been injured for atleast 3 weeks so haven't been able to practice much. (All i've been doing is reading every golfing book I can get my hand on and some videos)

I feel so great! My wood shots are dog awful, i don't know if it's the shaft causing me to slice really badly. They are really flexible. Going to the range with them this week.

My iron shots and pitching and sometimes putting is pretty darn amazing to me.
    I don't have all my distances yet, but i play my sand wedget over 100 yards and my 7 iron 170. Will fill in the rest after the range.

I'm going to break 100 by the end of this season 100% and then i'll be playing par by end of next season. 2008 canadian tour.

Oh! I got invited to join the national capital golf tour because I played so well.

I've never been happier, well other than when I score with my gf and close a big deal, lol.

I look forward to playing with you guys next season.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by braydond
    I'm going to break 100 by the end of this season 100% and then i'll be playing par by end of next season. 2008 canadian tour.

Oh! I got invited to join the national capital golf tour because I played so well.
    A good golfer AND modest. Michelle is that you?
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    I met a couple the other day; guy avid golfer; girl used to play lots of field hockey. SHe shot a 93 first game ever and apparently "Couldn't Putt". Crazy eh!?

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    Hello Braydond and welcome, All I have to say is if you go from shooting a 100 to a scratch golfer in 2 years I see you writing a book in your future and I will be first in line to buy it, followed very closely by just about everyone on this forum.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    I'm glad your confidence is at a high, trust me its gonna take a beating before too long ( i'm a realist , not a pessimist) But remember if you take this "sport" as something you enjoy doing , its always gonna be enjoyable , no matter how good or bad you play !!!
    Where do you take your Martial arts BTW ?
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Maybe you got a ladies set of clubs; being that they are so flexible. Where did you get them?

Haha. I'm quite the realist too and this golf is real, haha.

I bought them at tin cup golf. that liquidator place out in bells corners. They are too long to be ladies, i think.

ironmaster15213 vbmenu_register("postmenu_128201", true); I had my palms read the other day and she said i should be a writer and she sees alot of outdoor activity. Vague but hey...it's a start lol.
    Yesterday, 11:40 AM #27 Wilster vbmenu_register("postmenu_128202", true);

Hey I already know what it's like to take a beating. I bought some new accuform clubs a few weeks ago and my game went to the ters at the range i tought it was me. GF had to stop my from breaking them lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilster
    I'm glad your confidence is at a high, trust me its gonna take a beating before too long ( i'm a realist , not a pessimist) But remember if you take this "sport" as something you enjoy doing , its always gonna be enjoyable , no matter how good or bad you play !!!
    Where do you take your Martial arts BTW ?

Therien Jiu-jitsu and Kickboxing in Vanier. I'm slowing down my training though since i've picked up golf a month ago.

Thread Information