CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shaft fitting

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar

Shaft fitting

I had an entire post written and then the board screwed up and it was deleted.

Anyway. I'll try to sum it up again. Hopefully it gets through this time.

My question is how does someone go about getting fitting for shafts in their driver, fairway woods, and hybrids.

I know GT has a Vector machine but I've been told it's only used for drivers. If that's the case, how does one go about getting the proper shaft for their fairway woods or hybrids?

How does this Vector machine work anyway? I mean obviously I'll get different numbers with different head/shaft combinations right? Which brings me to my next question...How do they fit for specific heads? Which specifications do they get from this machine? Is it simply to tell you the proper flex you should be playing, or can it get right down to spin and trajectory.

Any insight or help would be appreciated.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    For a Vector LM to work the ball has to have a line on it. When struck and the ball starts to move the machine takes a few snap shots of the ball. It then inputs the data from those pics (that's why the line is needed) to give you your ball speed, launch angle, side spin and ball rpm. From this the machine will give you your carry distance, total distance and yards off centre. So comparing many similar clubs you will get an optimal shaft/head set up (or that is the principle behind it anyways ).
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Call me old fashion but imo the connector is still the best option and the range is still the best place to see the results.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee
    Call me old fashion but imo the connector is still the best option and the range is still the best place to see the results.
    Amen!!! Played with a golfer on Saturday who had been fitted on a Vector at a local and well know teaching facility, and whose swing speed was obviously greater than mine. So why did I consistently outdrive him by 10 to 30 yards? His fitting resulted in a high launch angle, the latest fad, and gave him minimal roll. My powder puff poop hit the ground running.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer
    My question is how does someone go about getting fitting for shafts in their driver, fairway woods, and hybrids.
    What the Chief said. Ultimately it's all trial and error.

The more experienced your fitter is in terms of looking at your swing, the less tries it will take.

So basically in order to have trial and error, they would set you up with different heads and shaft combos to swing on the machine?

What if they don't have the shaft/head combo that might fit you best?

So basically in order to have trial and error, they would set you up with different heads and shaft combos to swing on the machine?

What if they don't have the shaft/head combo that might fit you best?
    Correct, and I'd have to say SOL. If you plan on hitting multiple shaft and head combos you'd have to find someone that would have a large variety of clubs in stock. Sometimes the best thing to do is keep you eyes peeled for demo days at local clubs. Usually the rep for that day will have lots of clubs to try in varying shaft and loft combos.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Some clubs have demo clubs with different lies and shaft flexes. For example Chateau Cartier has a Ping Demo rack. It may not be an end to it all but it is a heck of a lot better than just buying off the rack.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Known entity lms is on a distinguished road lms's Avatar
    To get the best result you have to provide most of the info yourself.

If you have had a few drivers in your past, which drivers have you had that worked well for you?

What drivers have you had that had shafts that felt good when you struck the ball well?

If you are a good golfer you likely want a neutral face (no slice to fix).

What driver lofts have you used that gave you a good high trajectory while still allowing a reasonable roll when the ball hits the ground?

Myself, I would not get fitted at any place where the fitting does not also include watching the ball flight outside, and having someone measure how far it went on a range, as well as seeing the spin numbers, etc. that the computer will give you.

To me many places like golftown are at least attepting to give the average guy a chance to buy a driver that is somewhat correct for their swing, not much more. That is not easy considering the average golfer cannot consistently repeat their swing, and wrongly thinks they need an xstiff shaft with an 8 degree head.

I have heard that Kevin Haime's has a good selection of clubs to try, and combine the launch monitor with an outside range so you can see the results. They will also give you a credit from your fitting cost against a new driver. If I ever go for a fitting, I will likely check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by lms
    To get the best result you have to provide most of the info yourself.

If you have had a few drivers in your past, which drivers have you had that worked well for you?

What drivers have you had that had shafts that felt good when you struck the ball well?

If you are a good golfer you likely want a neutral face (no slice to fix).

What driver lofts have you used that gave you a good high trajectory while still allowing a reasonable roll when the ball hits the ground?

Myself, I would not get fitted at any place where the fitting does not also include watching the ball flight outside, and having someone measure how far it went on a range, as well as seeing the spin numbers, etc. that the computer will give you.

To me many places like golftown are at least attepting to give the average guy a chance to buy a driver that is somewhat correct for their swing, not much more. That is not easy considering the average golfer cannot consistently repeat their swing, and wrongly thinks they need an xstiff shaft with an 8 degree head.

I have heard that Kevin Haime's has a good selection of clubs to try, and combine the launch monitor with an outside range so you can see the results. They will also give you a credit from your fitting cost against a new driver. If I ever go for a fitting, I will likely check them out.
    I'm a bit far from Kevnin Haime's.

What was that device that was posted earlier in the thread?

Its a sort of quick connect. It allows you to change heads and shafts very quickly to try different set ups and it really doesn't affect the playability. All you do is unscrew the components from each other and screw on another and you are ready to hit more shots to compare shafts/heads.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    Its a sort of quick connect. It allows you to change heads and shafts very quickly to try different set ups and it really doesn't affect the playability. All you do is unscrew the components from each other and screw on another and you are ready to hit more shots to compare shafts/heads.
    That's what I figured but wasn't sure what was involved. Do you need to put a special hosel in the clubhead or something? How would this work for clubs like the 905 series or the FT-3 with bore through technology?

I don't know too much about it but I don't think it can work for bore throughs. I could be wrong though. If I was interested in Callys or Titty's I'd be looking for a demo day. You'd even be more likely to get some aide from the rep as opposed to a general club fitter. I've heard some good things about fitting being performed by local reps.

The picture was of a ClubConnex. See the following link for more details.

http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_CC9011S

There's another system similar to the Club Connex that one of the big guys, I can't remember if it's Callaway or Ping, use that allows them to swap shafts into heads. It uses a screw from the bottom of the head.

I'm a bit far from Kevin Haime's.
    You won't be far from Kevin Haime's in September though, and it was the concept of combining the launch monitor statistics with the ability to see the ball's flight I was getting at. Maybe someone out in Alberta has the same setup.

Callaway uses similar quick connect devices to allow you to cycle through various shafts.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    I don't know too much about it but I don't think it can work for bore throughs. I could be wrong though. If I was interested in Callys or Titty's I'd be looking for a demo day. You'd even be more likely to get some aide from the rep as opposed to a general club fitter. I've heard some good things about fitting being performed by local reps.
    Don't see why not. All you have to do is trim the connector to fit the bore through angle.
    Mahatma Gandhi

It was Callaway. The OptiFit system.

http://www.callawaygolf.com/en.cg.Cu...fitSystem.html

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent
    The picture was of a ClubConnex. See the following link for more details.

http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_CC9011S

There's another system similar to the Club Connex that one of the big guys, I can't remember if it's Callaway or Ping, use that allows them to swap shafts into heads. It uses a screw from the bottom of the head.
    Thanks for the info. Looks pretty good for the non-bore-through drivers.

I guess the best thing for Titleist is to get an analysis done and then pick a shaft that has specs close to what would fit me properly.

I have a swing analysis booked for two weeks time with the CPGA Pro at GT here in Edmonton.

My main concern is the push I am getting with my driver and the fact I can't really rely on my 904F with Fuji Fit-On 11 shaft in it. Everytime I tee it up I know it's going to be a 50/50 chance I hoop the shot. The club feels solid but it doesn't always negate a straight shot.

You won't be far from Kevin Haime's in September though, and it was the concept of combining the launch monitor statistics with the ability to see the ball's flight I was getting at. Maybe someone out in Alberta has the same setup.

Callaway uses similar quick connect devices to allow you to cycle through various shafts.
    True enough. I'd like to get it sorted out either way. I think it's the difference between me shooting under par on a regular basis.

I guess the best thing for Titleist is to get an analysis done and then pick a shaft that has specs close to what would fit me properly.
    Just pop down to Toronto when you are out here:

http://www.scoregolf.com/articles/x-...t-To-A-Tee.cfm

"The Titliest Fitting Centre is actually a snappily designed, garage-like building located on the driving range at Eagle’s Nest Golf Club, north of Toronto. Titleist built and maintains this state-of-the-art facility, which it believes will be a vital tool in the future of golf equipment."

Just pop down to Toronto when you are out here:

http://www.scoregolf.com/articles/x-...t-To-A-Tee.cfm

"The Titliest Fitting Centre is actually a snappily designed, garage-like building located on the driving range at Eagle’s Nest Golf Club, north of Toronto. Titleist built and maintains this state-of-the-art facility, which it believes will be a vital tool in the future of golf equipment."
    Any idea what this would run me besides the $100 in gas?

I have no idea on cost, and after carefully reading I saw this - but maybe they would still let someone with your handicap in as a "serious amateur".

"The Titleist Fitting Centre is primarily a tool used to teach professionals how to fit their members and clients. For the most part, guys like me don’t get to go in there although all serious amateurs are welcome."

I have no idea on cost, and after carefully reading I saw this - but maybe they would still let someone with your handicap in as a "serious amateur".

"The Titleist Fitting Centre is primarily a tool used to teach professionals how to fit their members and clients. For the most part, guys like me don’t get to go in there although all serious amateurs are welcome."
    Hmmmm....I wonder if I could have a rep or dealer out here set something up?

Thread Information