100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar

a Rainy Sunday Round

I just got back from a Rainy Sunday round with Wilster, Zoic and LMS. I'm happy to report that noone melted and, if I can speak for the others, a good time was had by all in spite of the rain

The highlight for me, aside from meeting the guys for the first time, was the back to back chip-in by Wilster - the second of which he called as he walked up to the ball

Well done Wil!!

Thanks gents for the round and I look forward to getting out again sometime.

Known entity lms is on a distinguished road lms's Avatar
    Melted no, but I sure had more than my fair share of shots today.

I'm still wondering why a pro-shop doesn't have rain gloves for sale - and if my 3 friends will all have rain gloves in their bags the next time we meet up .

Got My Card zoic is on a distinguished road zoic's Avatar
    Rain?? So, that explains it then, whew, I thought I was just sweating a lot more than usual.

Yeah Wilster was a great guy for letting me use his umbrella too. I bet I could spend a few hundred dollars easily by accessorizing at Golf Town.

Glad we got to meet, was a great time in spite of the weather.

The rain gloves are cool, but my leather rifle gloves have proven worthiest in the rain, snow, cold and whatever. Great for sticking your hand in a thistle to grab a golf ball you find too.
    Last edited by zoic; 08-27-2006 at 05:32 PM.
    [COLOR=DarkRed]"Friends don't let friends use Internet Explorer"

[/COLOR]Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by lms
    - and if my 3 friends will all have rain gloves in their bags the next time we meet up .
    THIS friend will for sure, I've already picked them out at GT - just have to go and get them.

"Richard"
    I refuse to play in the rain... its pointless, if you are going to pay $$$ to play a round might as well play in good weather. I'll only play in the rain if its free

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    I refuse to play in the rain... its pointless, if you are going to pay $$$ to play a round might as well play in good weather. I'll only play in the rain if its free
    Kitty-cat.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Come on now that's weak sauce. A true golfer would never say that. Played Sorcier today, seems like i'm destined to play that course in terrible weather.

"Richard"
    I guess I'm not a true golfer. I just dont' see the point playing in the rain when you can just play tomorrow or the next day.. I know some peoples schedules aren't as flexable a mine and can't just "forget it, we'll go tomorrow"

But still, I cant play in the rain, its cold, I get cranky and violent

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I can understand your reluctance to play in rain, but there is one thing that you might wish to consider. Playing in rain will, believe it or not, improve your overall play. It will help you with course management, patience and shot making. More than that, it will also provide you with the necessary experience that you will need if you begin to play tournament golf. Tournaments play in the rain save for when there is lightning or the course becomes unplayable. If you haven't learned to play in those conditions, you will be under a distinct disadvantage. Just a thought.

I guess I'm not a true golfer. I just dont' see the point playing in the rain when you can just play tomorrow or the next day.. I know some peoples schedules aren't as flexable a mine and can't just "forget it, we'll go tomorrow"

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    Spoken like a true single guy
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    What mpare said.

We played the first 5-6 holes of the Sun Scramble today in rain that ranged from light to full on downpour. On the fourth hole there was standing water on the green and had the rain not let up they were about to stop play.

We ended up scoring better in the rain today than in yesterday's absolutely perfect weather.

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    Rain. Wind. Cold. I think you can play in any one of these if prepared and dressed for it. Start adding the combinations together and then it gets unpleasant - e.g. a steady rain in 20mph wind on a 10deg day is a day to stay home.

Quote Originally Posted by mpare
    I can understand your reluctance to play in rain, but there is one thing that you might wish to consider. Playing in rain will, believe it or not, improve your overall play. It will help you with course management, patience and shot making. More than that, it will also provide you with the necessary experience that you will need if you begin to play tournament golf. Tournaments play in the rain save for when there is lightning or the course becomes unplayable. If you haven't learned to play in those conditions, you will be under a distinct disadvantage. Just a thought.
    I couldn't agree more mpare

The rain pretty much forced me to slooooooooow down the swing today because I didn't want to end up impaling a club in anyone's chest. Because of this I was able to salvage a little something from a game that was otherwise

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    And with Richard's inflexibility he's likely to remain single for quite some time!!! .... I"m kidding ..... well, sort of .....

Richard, anytime you want to hit the links on the weekend again on sunny day , of course, let me know. We might even invite Dan, another aquaphobic.

Quote Originally Posted by covanant
    Spoken like a true single guy

I agree, and usually play 3 rounds a year in the rain, for good measure. Good news too, this was #3, so that means clear skies for the rest of the year for me.

I am happy to find on checking my scorecard I made 9 pars today, quite good considering the conditions, and quite normal for me to play well 50% of the time.

[/COLOR]Kevin

3 Wood mcnorth is on a distinguished road mcnorth's Avatar
    So did you call each other by your real names or board names?

"Good chip, Hacker."

"Nice drive, LMS."

"I think maybe you rushed your transition, Zoic."
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/FONT]

No, actually we use our real names, but we say them in Klingon so no one else knows who we are.

[/COLOR]Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by mcnorth
    "Good chip, Hacker."
    You definately didn't hear that phrase uttered!!

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    We lucked out in Arnprior. Can't speak for the earlier morning groups, but anyone from 10:30 on didn't get wet.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

5 Wood AndrewMGA is on a distinguished road AndrewMGA's Avatar
    Got drenched and shot my worst round of the year....but hey I can't complain I was out golfing with my buddies and I'd never turn down a chance to do that, rain or shine.

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    Mpare; I don't think "Richard" will ever have to worry about tournament play lol. Nor will I for that mattter. I"d like to but I don't think there are divisions for my qualibre of play!

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    My garage is like a laundrette at the moment , EVERYTHING got wet on Sunday , but I had a really fun time anyhows. Our fourball was great fun , and no matter how hard the rain fell , everyone was happy playing . There was a little issue with grips but after a while you adjust to suit the conditions, but i will be picking up a pair of rain gloves this week.
    I come from Northern Ireland , if you waited for good days only to play golf , It would be a very short season !!!
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Caddy KickerOfElves is on a distinguished road KickerOfElves's Avatar
    I like rounds with a light rain...the course is devoid of all the fairweather golfers and sometimes it's like you are out there by yourself. Plus the ball tends to hold on the green a little better.

I've fished since I was a wee lad and it's definitely something that is often better in the rain, so I am used to it.

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    3 of use went down to Cloverdale just after 3:00. It was a lot drier south of the city. Ended up being a great round. Windy, but only rained on the 10th hole. Shot a 36 on the front (I know Cloverdale is easy but it was quite windy), first time I shot even par on a nine ! More realistic 42 on the back (seemed horrible compared to the front). Course was empty - we were the only ones on it by the back nine yet conditions were good. One of the more enjoyable rounds this year!
    I don't have an ulcer - I am just a carrier.

Thread Information