CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: crossroads

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar

crossroads

Most of my game recently has been boiling down to my grup. I have always played a neutral to weak grip, probably inspired by my interpretation of the pencil drawings of Jack's grip in myu grandfather's copy of "Golf my way" as a youth. It's pretty deeply inset in my swing.

I'd say my biggest problem and greatest asset pursueing this game has been I've never grooved a swing, but I've never settled for one either. I've always been in perpetual motion, moving in the direction of what I thought a "classic" swing was.

To give just a bit of perspective, I was a low to mid 80s player in my mid twenties (playing once a week). I didin't golf much for a decade until a few years ago and I'm back to chasing my first 79.

To the point; I've recently observed that my grip is probably on the weak side. With a wedge in my hand it's probably only a touch weak of nuetral, with the driver it gives me cause to wonder. I've felt the urge to move towards a stronger grip.

I also have a right hand that I think is just a bit weaker than my left My "groove" is extending down to the ball as apposed to rolling though it. I understand why guys like Furyk take it back inside. When I start my backswing it angles straight up through the "V" in my right hand. With a strongish grip this is a pretty inside move.

It's funny how many posts I've read about strengthening your grip to fight a slice. This strikes me as PURE AND UTTER NONSENSE. One of those things that seems to make sense when you think about oit on the surface, but is out and out myth in the actual reality of the situation. I can't beleive I've heard this in quotes from top flight teachers in the business.

Any weak grip players and/or knowleable swig guru's out there willing to coment? I'm considering going back to the range to feel out a stronger grip. It's about all I can do to hit the ball when I setup strong. I guess it's what you're used to. I'm thinking that maybe my grip isn't as weak as I think, espcially with the longer clubs that setup more forward. My other thought is I'm about to become the biggest neutral to weak avangalist you've ever seen.

Got My Card zoic is on a distinguished road zoic's Avatar
    Interesting comments on the grip, and I have read so many here in this forum I just revert back to what I was taught, and observe to be true. I have a medium to light grip on the club at address, and I have observed as I was told it would be that as I swing my club down and through the ball, my hands will naturally tighten on the grip. It makes sense, and I believe it to be true from my observations.

Now I used to grip it tight as I could, white knuckle tight, and slice it really HUGE.
    [COLOR=DarkRed]"Friends don't let friends use Internet Explorer"

[/COLOR]Kevin

Andru
    The best training grip I've ever used is the Leadbetter Swing Setter Grip. You can buy just the grip itself. They're available at GT. It's very neutral 2 knuckles on the left hand. Anyway instead of guessing. spend the 10 bucks put it on a cheap 5 dollar club and work with it.

2 knuckles on the left hand is neutral?!? I'm lucky to see one depepnding on the club

I haven't been to the range much this year so I've decided to throw a bucket of balls at playing with the strength of my grip, that way if I feel compelled to swing with a stronger grip I'll at least have some sense of what I'm doing.

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by Wknd_Warrior
    2 knuckles on the left hand is neutral?!? I'm lucky to see one depepnding on the club

I haven't been to the range much this year so I've decided to throw a bucket of balls at playing with the strength of my grip, that way if I feel compelled to swing with a stronger grip I'll at least have some sense of what I'm doing.
    You can't just change your grip man and experiment. It's a different action when using a strong grip. Flatter more around your body. if you mix the two you're f'd You'll just end up dazed and confused ( classic flick ).

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andru
    The best training grip I've ever used is the Leadbetter Swing Setter Grip. You can buy just the grip itself. They're available at GT. It's very neutral 2 knuckles on the left hand. Anyway instead of guessing. spend the 10 bucks put it on a cheap 5 dollar club and work with it.
    When I went to lessons and worked on my swing, I went from a brutally strong grip (to deal with OTT) to a neutral grip. I now check my grip by the usual hold my club in the air in front of me and put my hands on the club naturally. I also watch for any tension in my grip which indicates something is off. It must work because I tried the Swing Setter (and other grip aids) and my hands go on them like a glove.

I'm not looking to changing my grip just yet, I want to get some sense of hitting the ball with a less weak grip for when I find myself so tempted.

1 Iron manitoulin is on a distinguished road manitoulin's Avatar
    Grip should be tweeked and not messed with to much.

Thread Information