CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    no no...we would never have found it in the first place because we wouldn't have had a gallery and spotters to keep track of it for us....right Donny?

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgoo
    Tiger's behaviour intimates rules officals. For Tiger, no shot is Out- of- Bounds, Clubhouse is a removable obstruction, and he deserves a clear path and good lie to the green. Cannot panalize Tiger for a poor shot. it would ruin the hype. Riduculous.
    Told you about the roof Terrence. Read the following story:

ROOF IT: Gary Hallberg made one of the wackiest pars on the PGA Tour, a story he relives a couple of times a year. It came up again last week when Woods hit a nine-iron that went onto and over the clubhouse roof at Firestone.

Hallberg once hit a shot that stayed on the roof -- and he played it from there in the 1982 Bob Hope Classic.

"I had an uphill lie on the 16th hole at Indian Wells," Hallberg said. "I had 150 yards to the hole, took a smooth seven-iron and got a flyer. I thought, 'Oh, geez, that's out of here.' The clubhouse wasn't out-of-bounds. My drop would have been in the rocks, or I could take an unplayable (lie) and go back to the fairway. The rules official said, 'Or you could play it.' And he was chuckling." The club manager got a ladder, the two climbed onto the roof and saw the ball in a bed of gravel and tar. "There were two palm trees between me and the green," Hallberg said. "I had 60 or 70 yards, and I hit it about 30 feet past the hole. I missed every putt that day. But I made that one."
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Postaholic mcgoo is on a distinguished road
    Only a golf addict could remember an incident from 24 years ago; but you said you played from the roof before. Where?

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    I've hit from a double deck golf range i.e roof
    I got the story from today's Ottawa Sun.
    http://ottawasun.com/Sports/OtherSpo...85802-sun.html
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee
    I've hit from a double deck golf range i.e roof
    I got the story from today's Ottawa Sun.
    http://ottawasun.com/Sports/OtherSpo...85802-sun.html
    If I am not mistaken (which I usually am) the first tee at Banff Springs is on the 'roof' of the pro shop.
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Abso-freakin-lutely!!! No bigger advantage. Imagine how many strokes the 'wayward' golfer could save with spotters and a gallery on every hole.

Quote Originally Posted by jonf
    no no...we would never have found it in the first place because we wouldn't have had a gallery and spotters to keep track of it for us....right Donny?
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny
    Abso-freakin-lutely!!! No bigger advantage. Imagine how many strokes the 'wayward' golfer could save with spotters and a gallery on every hole.
    Donny, if you want to pay me a small fee I'll head down each fwy when you play to spot your ball for you. I may even find some that looked to be goners from the tee...
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    Donny, if you want to pay me a small fee I'll head down each fwy when you play to spot your ball for you. I may even find some that looked to be goners from the tee...

I've played with him, you would only have to stand about 150 yards down the fairway... and stay in the middle of the fairway so he doesn't hit you! But if he is in a greenside bunker, you will have to go about 175 yards past the green to find it for him!
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Unless they changed things since I was there, the first tee on any of the 9s at Banff is not located on the roof of the pro shop. However, the first tee at the Yellowknife Golf Club ("Home of the Midnight Golf Tournament") used to be located on the Club House porch. You haven't lived until you've teed off at 10 or 11 at night!

Quote Originally Posted by Indio
    If I am not mistaken (which I usually am) the first tee at Banff Springs is on the 'roof' of the pro shop.

Lob Wedge rgosselincga is on a distinguished road

Question

My understanfing for not declaring a lost ball was that the ball had cleared the roof and they assumed someone picked it up by mistake on the other side. In the case where they know or assume someone picked up the ball and didn't return it, they do not declare a lost ball.

Kinda strage but with the entire kitchen staff out looking for it, who knows what might have happened to the ball.

Cheers

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge
    The "5 minutes" was irrelevant once the rules officials got involved. All he had to do was gather enough evidence within that time and tell the official what was up and the clock is no longer a concern.
    So does this mean if you lose a ball and subsequently ask a rules official about it, you no longer have to worry about the 5 minute rule?

I think what they were really hoping for is to have Tiger hit the ball off the roof. It would have been on every sports highlight reel on the planet.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons
    So does this mean if you lose a ball and subsequently ask a rules official about it, you no longer have to worry about the 5 minute rule?

I think what they were really hoping for is to have Tiger hit the ball off the roof. It would have been on every sports highlight reel on the planet.
    No, it means that he (and a few hundred other people) had reasonable evidence as to where the ball ended up (either on, or over the roof), and that they found out that the ball had been picked up by someone in the parking lot, the ball was not lost even though it was not physically in hand.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

At the time of the ruling, well after 5 minutes, did they know that the ball had been picked up, or, where they still looking for it on the roof?

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    They didn't put the clock on because they thought it was on the roof. Then they found out it had been removed by an OA. They wouldn't have started the clock anyway until Woods had got up there to search.

Thread Information