100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Golf Guru Gropper is on a distinguished road Gropper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgoo
    Ok GROOPER I would like to have you defend me in Court on this weeks traffic ticket. How about the fact that the ball was LOST when the ruling was made. It was found subsequently by a clubhouse "Cook".
    Hey McGoo, When i was watching they never decalred the ball lost and the ball had been found and moved buy a spectator, they were even asking the rules official if the ruling would have been diffrent if they had not found the ball.

Oh and as for the traffice ticket i am already defending OJ this week sorry! lol

Postaholic mcgoo is on a distinguished road
    Hey Hacker; Yeah, they were doing anything to avoid declaring it a lost ball. At one time they even said it was in the AC vent where it couldn't be seen. Tiger and I have somethink in common, I think someone also eventually finds my lost balls but too late to save me strokes or the cost of the ball. A difference between us hackers and Tiger is, as a hacker, I have to pay for my mistakes; be it a lost ball or a traffic ticket.

This might help

Ball Lost in Immovable Obstruction
    If a ball is lost in an immovable obstruction, the spot where the ball last crossed the outermost limits of the obstruction must be determined and, for the purpose of applying this Rule, the ball is deemed to lie at this spot and the player may take relief as follows:

(i) Through the Green: If the ball last crossed the outermost limits of the immovable obstruction at a spot through the green, the player may substitute another ball without penalty and take relief as prescribed in Rule 24-2b(i).
    (ii) In a Bunker: If the ball last crossed the outermost limits of the immovable obstruction at a spot in a bunker, the player may substitute another ball without penalty and take relief as prescribed in Rule 24-2b(ii).
    (iii) In a Water Hazard (including a Lateral Water Hazard): If the ball last crossed the outermost limits of the immovable obstruction at a spot in a water hazard, the player is not entitled to relief without penalty. The player must proceed under Rule 26-1.
    (iv) On the Putting Green: If the ball last crossed the outermost limits of the immovable obstruction at a spot on the putting green, the player may substitute another ball without penalty and take relief as prescribed in Rule 24-2b(iii).

Golf Nut nice_lag is on a distinguished road
    How quickly people seem to forget about Sergio Garcia's ruling with a similar obstruction...
    nice_lag
    Almonte

Answer, none of the above

lol, well i am done with this topic as nothing said will change your mind since you hate the guy and its his fault that thing worked out, but lets not forget he still made a bogey and in the long run will not make much of a diffrence

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Hey Hacker; Yeah, they were doing anything to avoid declaring it a lost ball. At one time they even said it was in the AC vent where it couldn't be seen. Tiger and I have somethink in common, I think someone also eventually finds my lost balls but too late to save me strokes or the cost of the ball. A difference between us hackers and Tiger is, as a hacker, I have to pay for my mistakes; be it a lost ball or a traffic ticket.
    Personally I think the biggest difference between tiger and the rest of us is that he plays with Rules Officials all over the place to make these calls. Oh yeah, and he plays for 100000's of dollars and we don't

I didn't say it was the right call, the Official made an interpretation based on all of the info he had available at the time.

I'm certainly not a PGA calibre rules official so I have to take their ruling at face value

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker
    I'm certainly not a PGA calibre rules official so I have to take their ruling at face value
    Well put and aggred we are not!!!

Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar
    Here's the info from the PGA site....

Woods takes lead at Firestone, but his only bogey was the hot topic Aug. 25, 2006
    GolfWeb Wire Services

AKRON, Ohio -- Tiger Woods in the lead at Firestone is typical.

Woods hitting a 9-iron over the clubhouse roof and escaping with bogey because it was not marked out-of-bounds made the World Golf Championships-Bridgestone Invitational nothing short of bizarre on Friday.

Woods birdied his first four holes and shot a 6-under 64 to take a one-shot lead over Davis Love III, but what made the second round memorable was a bogey on his final hole that left Woods feeling lucky after a strange sequence of events.

It started from the right rough on No. 9 when Woods hit a 9-iron from 167 yards that jumped out of the grass, soared over the flag and over the grandstands. It hit the concrete path and bounced over a balcony and onto the roof.

From the back of the clubhouse, Summit County deputy sheriff Bill Muncy was sitting in his chair when he noticed a golf ball bouncing around the service area below him and next to a youngster.

"The kid looked up and said, 'Who's throwing balls at me?"' Muncy said. "Then he stuck it in his pocket."

Whether the kid saw the swoosh and "TIGER" imprinted on the ball was unclear. Woods stood in the fairway nearly 10 minutes before rules officials arrived and trying to figure out their next step. Some said it went into an air-conditioning duct. A clubhouse attendant said it dropped down on the other side.

Dillard Pruitt, the rules official, talked to the deputy sheriff and then went about figuring out where Woods should drop. There was no penalty because the grandstands -- known as a temporary immovable obstruction in the Rules of Golf -- were in his way.

Woods eventually took relief from the rough near the first tee, 84 yards away, hit a lob wedge to 30 feet and two-putted for bogey, putting him at 9-under 131 going into the weekend.

Grooper; From my posts how do you know with such certainty that " you hate this guy....."

I do not.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    This is why Tiger got the ruling he did...No matter how much some people don't like it, the ruling was based on the way that the grounds were set up. It would have applied the same way to everyone in the competition.

http://www.worldgolfchampionships.co...y/r476/9620040
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Remember he was in their (the officials) faces the whole time. He did not meekly stay with his playing partners awaiting the ruling, like the other player in his threesome did who also hit out of bounds. Was his agressiveness rude to them?

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Remember he was in their (the officials) faces the whole time. He did not meekly stay with his playing partners awaiting the ruling, like the other player in his threesome did who also hit out of bounds. Was his agressiveness rude to them?
    So? Different people handle situations differently. He's allowed to talk to the officials. Was he rude? Who knows? They're all big boys there, and Mike Shea's not going to take crap from anyone.

His ball wasn't out of bounds. It wasn't lost either. The officials determined that the ball was picked up and pocketed by a kid in the parking lot.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Tiger's behaviour intimates rules officals. For Tiger, no shot is Out- of- Bounds, Clubhouse is a removable obstruction, and he deserves a clear path and good lie to the green. Cannot panalize Tiger for a poor shot. it would ruin the hype. Riduculous.
    Well Mcgoo from this statment you would think that you are not very fond of him, hate may have been strong word or maybe not.

I do not think that is factual. The future Press analysis sould settle the factual aspects in dispute.

Maybe not but those are your words, dosn't sound very favourable to me

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    Grooper; From my posts how do you know with such certainty that " you hate this guy....."

I do not.

Grooper... It was me who said I wasn't a Tiger fan.

MJF

Oh i know you admited, he's just not, but his words say otherwise. Thats all, we all can like and dislike who we want. I was just stating that no matter what he is told about the rules and the way it turned out, he is not going to agree because he dosn't like tiger at least thats they way his words are comming out.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Can't blame Tiger for being in their faces. Obviously the committe or whoever was in charge of setting up the course made a mistake, and he was going to take full advantage - he should be commended for that, as that is what a competitor should do. Not only did he know the rules, he was confident enough in his knowledge of them to be persistent in pleading his case

So I guess thebottom line is, the ruling was not incorrect, but the course was set up stupidly in order to make such a ruling possible. This situation should never have occured, but in the circumstances, it seems the correct decision was made

Andru
    Good lord you're relentless. What did Tiger ever do to you?

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge
    This is why Tiger got the ruling he did...No matter how much some people don't like it, the ruling was based on the way that the grounds were set up. It would have applied the same way to everyone in the competition.

http://www.worldgolfchampionships.co...y/r476/9620040
    I watched this entire event unfold, from the errent shot to the final putt. The above link pretty well explains it. Was Tiger "IN THE OFFICIALS FACES"? I saw him talk to them, then I saw him standing around laughing with McGinley. At no time did I see Woods yelling into the officals face.
    Now I am far from being a rah rah Tiger Woods Fan. What I saw unfold was a unique situation. Even Woods said he was suprised the clubhouse was not marked OB.

All in all it was different, yes it took a long time and yes I think if it had been anyone else they would have done the same thing, Made sure it was a correct drop, the officials are there to protect the rest of the field. The key to the drop was the "Grandstands" not the clubhouse.
    All I can is Thank God it did not happen to Micelle Wie
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

3 Wood Maverick is on a distinguished road
    He better had written Tiger with a Sharpie on his ball otherwise you can't positively say it's his ball

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    So does this mean i can now spend up to an hour looking for a lost ball?
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

Quote Originally Posted by covanant
    So does this mean i can now spend up to an hour looking for a lost ball?
    The "5 minutes" was irrelevant once the rules officials got involved. All he had to do was gather enough evidence within that time and tell the official what was up and the clock is no longer a concern. He knows that his ball is either on top of or over the clubhouse. Now it's up to the committee to make a ruling. The situation would have likely been different if the grandstands weren't involved.

Got My Card zoic is on a distinguished road zoic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by faldo
    From the back of the clubhouse, Summit County deputy sheriff Bill Muncy was sitting in his chair when he noticed a golf ball bouncing around the service area below him and next to a youngster.

"The kid looked up and said, 'Who's throwing balls at me?"' Muncy said. "Then he stuck it in his pocket."

Whether the kid saw the swoosh and "TIGER" imprinted on the ball was unclear. Woods stood in the fairway nearly 10 minutes before rules officials arrived and trying to figure out their next step. Some said it went into an air-conditioning duct. A clubhouse attendant said it dropped down on the other side.

Dillard Pruitt, the rules official, talked to the deputy sheriff and then went about figuring out where Woods should drop. There was no penalty because the grandstands -- known as a temporary immovable obstruction in the Rules of Golf -- were in his way.
    Jeez, this leaves a picture in my mind. How could the Summit County Deputy Sheriff not have the common sense to figure the ball originated from the tournament being played there, and not tell the kid to put the ball back and leave it there. C'mon, that ball (Tigers imprint and all) is in the possession of the sheriff as fas as I am concerned.
    [COLOR=DarkRed]"Friends don't let friends use Internet Explorer"

[/COLOR]Kevin

Got My Card zoic is on a distinguished road zoic's Avatar
    AH! Spoke too soon perhaps, what to believe these days eh?

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...s/15364630.htm

AKRON, Ohio - Joshua Stuber was unloading crunchy cream pies from a cart near the loading dock Friday when America's Most Wanted Golf Ball rolled off the Firestone Country Club rooftop and caromed onto the concrete below.
    The 23-year-old Firestone chef was oblivious to how far the ball had traveled or the chaos its disappearance had created. He wasn't aware of the widening dragnet or the phone calls pouring into the Firestone switchboard from as far away as New York and California.
    Stuber is a golfer. The ball is a Nike 1 Platinum with Tiger Woods' name on it. Why not keep it? Use it for his next round on the muni course? What's the harm?
    There were pies to deliver. Hungry people to feed. He placed it in the cart cup holder and drove away. Stuber never gave the ball a second thought - until his cell phone rang.
    It was Stuber's supervisor. There was a problem.
    "My supervisor said, `Do you know what you've done? You have stolen Tiger Woods' golf ball,'" Stuber said. "That kind of freaked me out."
    [COLOR=DarkRed]"Friends don't let friends use Internet Explorer"

[/COLOR]Kevin

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick
    He better had written Tiger with a Sharpie on his ball otherwise you can't positively say it's his ball
    The Nike's he uses have TIGER stamped on them.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Lob Wedge john doe is on a distinguished road
    Does anyone remember the incident many years back where the gallery moved a rock because it was in Tiger's way? That rock weighed a few hundred pounds. The gallery moved it so it was a moveable object?
    http://www.tigerwoodsisgod.com/gallery.php

RulesNut Gary Hill is on a distinguished road Gary Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by john doe
    The gallery moved it so it was a moveable object?
    What part dont you understand?

Lob Wedge john doe is on a distinguished road
    I get it.

The point was that the rock weighed several hundred pounds. For you, me, or anyone else, you ended up punching the ball sideways or backwards.

Thread Information