CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Sand Wedge TMWG is on a distinguished road

Knock Down Shots

What are they? How do you hit them and why are they useful to know?

I've heard it described as your second serve in tennis or your "guarenteed" shot.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    A knock down is a low flying shot with a club that you normally hit further.

Pretty simple technique. Move the ball back in your stance compared, shorten both your backswing and follow-through, and make sure you hit down on the ball.

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    You can even choke down on the club a bit as well.

Postaholic mcgoo is on a distinguished road
    In what situations is it used?

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Punching out from under a tree, or any time you need a low runner (windy). Should go about 75-85% of the clubs normal distance

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgoo
    In what situations is it used?
    Windy conditions (to keep it under the wind). If you have a tree limb or something similiar obstructing your normal ball flifht and you want to keep underneath it. If you leave yourself an bad approach distance and there is nothing guarding the front of a green......and many other situations as well

In windy conditions.
    Or to advance down the fairway on a par five.
    Or if you need to get under some tree limbs.

Tiger uses it often on the tee with a 2-iron to control his drive and to ensure the ball is kept in play. It seems to be one of his signature shots.

Why not a slower swing with a lower lofter club? Not as easy to controll distance?

I also use it to get out of the shanks.

That's almost it, but to control distance, instead of a slower swing use a shorter one.

Why not a slower swing with a lower lofter club? Not as easy to controll distance?

Thanks, will try it tomorrow.

Shagging Balls upanddown is on a distinguished road upanddown's Avatar
    No, your inviting trouble here. You always swing the same tempo - slower swing you may decelerate.

With a knockdown just add club, choke up, ball back a bit in the stance and take a 3/4 swing.

Why add club; to achieve the same distance as a higher lofted club with a full swing?

Shagging Balls upanddown is on a distinguished road upanddown's Avatar
    because the knockdown will help you control the trajectory - to keep the ballflight down.

Personally, I don't like hitting low trajectory shots with a full swing. You get more control when choking up and swinging 3/4 - thus you usually add the extra club.

The real key is the trajectory.......you need the ball to travel 100 yards, but you can't hit a SW because of some obstruction so you can knockdown a 7 or 8 iron to get you there and keep the ball below the obstruction....think of your normal shot as a flop shot, most of the distance is travelled in the air with a little role, a knock down shot will be more like a pitch shot (relatively speaking) less distance travelled in the air (and at a lower trajectory) with more roll at the end.....Making sence??
    Last edited by Hacker; 08-25-2006 at 02:11 PM.

Yes, it does make sense now. Sorry to highjack your post TMWG but thanks to you and to the responders.

Yes, it does make sense now.
    Excellent! ......and I promise that one of these days I'll learn how to spell

For Tiger, it is called a "stinger".

Read this article:
    http://www.golfdigest.com/features/i...0605verdi.html

Sand Wedge TMWG is on a distinguished road
    Yes, it does make sense now. Sorry to highjack your post TMWG but thanks to you and to the responders.
    Are you kidding, you asked all the questions I left out!

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by em69
    For Tiger, it is called a "stinger".
    I would not call Tiger's true 2 iron stinger so much a knockdown as more of a 5 ft high cruise missle. He used to hit that 220 on the fly no higher than 5-10ft off the ground. If most of us tried that we would hurt ourselves.

Tiger does not even hit the "real" stinger today. He tends to hit more of a knockdown with his 3 and 5 woods.
    I don't have an ulcer - I am just a carrier.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    The technique described above to hit the "knockdown" shot is correct, however, the most valuable place to use this action has not been described. While I know some golfers prefer a lob type shot to a green, it is a lot easier to hit your 10 to 50 yard wedge shots close to the hole by hitting a low knockdown shot, that will hit the green, skip a few yards and then stop dead because of the imparted backpin. Three important conditions are necessary: 1. a clean, tight lie, 2. a middle or back pin position, 3. a spin type golf ball (ProV1).

Because the club head comes into the ball descending on a short knockdown shot, there is a higher probability of good contact. With a lob shot the angle of attack is less descending so the timing must be perfect. The left wrist must remain FLAT and the right wrist BENT. From my observations most golfers flip their wrists coming through making the descending blow harder to achieve, but by keeping the left flat a very useful shot can be added to any golfer's arsenal.

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    While I know some golfers prefer a lob type shot to a green, it is a lot easier to hit your 10 to 50 yard wedge shots close to the hole by hitting a low knockdown shot, that will hit the green, skip a few yards and then stop dead because of the imparted backpin.
    Worked like a charm on Stonebridge (BC's favorite course ) on West 8. From the top fairway tier going to a mid or back right pin I always hit mid green and end up in the back collection area. Finally yesterday had slightly over 100yd, strong breeze right to left and helping. Instead of a regular gap wedge, I put a 56* back in my stance and hit a nice punch. Landed middle of the green and my partners figured that it was off the back with the low trajectory. But instead it stopped on the back downslope giving me a nice uphill 12 footer (which I lipped out ). And yes, it was a ProV. I am finding that I am using this shot more and more inside 100 yards.
    I don't have an ulcer - I am just a carrier.

I have been using the “knock-down” shot rather than a lob around the green, without knowing it had a name. But I often debate which to use with a 64* wedge.. With the lob I usually get the distance correct but not the alignment. With the “knock-down” it is usually visa-versa. Is there any solution BC Mist?

The solution is to practice both.

The pinch-chip (knockdown) is great for tight lies when you have some green to work with. It should be considered the preferred option in most cases as it is definately easier to control. Practice is the only way to get the distance right.

The flop is awesome from the rough to a tucked pin, or over an obstruction but it's dangerous to try it from a tight lie, since your contact has to be perfect to avoid hitting it fat or thin.

Thanks, I've been hitting a flop from bad lies and hitting it fat, when I should have been hitting knock-down's.

Thread Information