CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar

Wink UFC on Saturday night !

If your bored with normal TV and are looking for something a little different to watch on
    Saturday night , The UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship) has a steller fight card on PPV this coming weekend. If you don`t mind A bit of violence and some mixed matial arts , you gota see this sport to believe it. It`s great entertainment ,and will soon be taking the headlines away from mainstream boxing events. It`s not for everyone , but if you like the fights in hockey (who doesn`t !) this might be worth taking a look. Its also free every week to those with the Spike TV channel (Thurs evenings). You won`t be disappointed.
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    MMA is AWESOME!!! I've never seen athletes as conditioned as some of these boys......the "Sweet Science" will be overrun by this style of fighting

I can't believe how far the sport has come in such a short period of time....7-8 years ago it was dominated by the grapplers (Gracie et al) now you better be able to strike (and take a shot) if you hope to escape alive.

The carpet around my lazy boy is totally destroyed thanks to the countless # of stains from drinks that I've spilled watching the UFA

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    I`m glad to see your hooked as well ! This sport deserves all credit over its competitors.

For sure - have you seen any of the Pride fights out of Japan?? That is supposed to be even more brutal and I've heard rumours that they were thinking of coming to North America and possibly merging with the UFC.

Glenn Kulka talks about MMA a lot on the Team 1200 Drive Home show, so the word is getting out there

Pride is awesome also , But i think the UFC is a little bit better in their marketing of the sport. But both organizations have equally as talented fighters. Not sure about a merger yet , but i wouldn't rule it out in the next year or so.

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    Is Georges St. Pierre fighting this weekend Wil? I wanna see him kick the champ's *****.
    Proud member of the 2009 Ryder Cup winning team

Bad news there, he was due to be fighting for the Welterweight title next month against Matt hughes but has pulled his groin and will not be fighting . BJ penn takes his place and that too will be an awesome fight.
    Tomorrow sees Chuck Lidell (see my avatar) vs Renato Sobral and Forrest Griffen vs Stephan Bonnar . These should be 2 awesome fights, worth the viewing for sure there are usually 5 or 6 fights in total for the PPV.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    I am a HUGE fan. There have been many crossover fighters between Pride and UFC over the years (Chuck Liddell, Vanderlei Silva... the list is long), I love both organizations equally, but I must say the UFC is growing in popularity faster than Pride, although I still think Pride pays more to the fighters. The Ultimate Fighter season 3 is awesome! I'm so glad they seem to have eliminated the "Challenges" that plagued Season 1, and kept the eliminations to fights. After all, what reality tv show have you watched where you wouldn't have wanted to se the "immunity challenge" take place in the octagon?

There have been rumours for years that my namesake (Sakuraba Kazushi) will fight in the ufc, but he's getting too old imo, still a thrill to watch his magic.

BJ Penn is more fun to watch from this fan's perpective than Matt Hughes. BJ vs St-Pierre will be the show stopper! Liddell is going to ko Sobral.

There is no way on earth that Griffen vs. Bonnar can live up to the last fight..........is there????

The Ultimate Fighter Season 4 just started and should be the best yet. Some World class fighters here , no no-names in this season. My moneys on Our Canadian representative Patrick Cote.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker
    There is no way on earth that Griffen vs. Bonnar can live up to the last fight..........is there????
    No way of telling , but for sures these guys put on a show no matter what , it i'll be Rock 'em sock 'em 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba
    BJ Penn is more fun to watch from this fan's perpective than Matt Hughes. BJ vs St-Pierre will be the show stopper! Liddell is going to ko Sobral.
    I hope BJ WIns , then its BJ vs ST.Pierre 2 .

But Georges St. Pierre already beat BJ. Good fight too.
    That is too bad St. Pierre had to pull out. I felt like his time was coming. He seems more polished with each fight. Hughes has been a dominating champ, but he has had a lucky break or two as well.

All and all I would like to see Hughes win so he can be beat down by St. Pierre.
    It is funny to think, BJ Penn has beaten Hughes. Hughes has beaten St. Pierre and St. Pierre has beaten Penn.

As for the Liddel fight, I don't see anyone stoppping him right now. I would have preferred to see another Ortiz Liddel fight instead of Sorbal.

BTW, is it just me or do the rest of you hate Joe Rogan and his dumb ***** commentary too?

Joe Rogan's not that bad , he's very knowledgeable in MMA , which makes up for his shouting during the fights .

My opinion runs hot and cold on Joe Rogan...but over all he's waaaaay better than a WWE style commentator

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker
    My opinion runs hot and cold on Joe Rogan...but over all he's waaaaay better than a WWE style commentator
    I hear you.
    Did you know that the WWE tried to hire Joe Rogan's sidekick Mike Goldberg earlier this year , and they also offerd him a huge payout if he didn't show at a ppv that he'd already agreed to appear at ? Mr. Goldberg declined the offer and was pretty shocked at the way the WWE wanted to screw over the UFC that night (classy move by Vince McMahon). Theres some bad blood between these 2 organisations right now.

Vince is an idiot, a very rich idiot, but an idiot none-the-less

Birdie g8r is on a distinguished road
    Pride is scheduled to come to Vegas in October. Fedor Emelianenko vs Mark Coleman, being billed as Russia vs US fight. Fedor is amazing and this should bring Pride into the forefront in the US. They are the "more popular" one worldwide and have had problems getting sanctioned in the US. The difference is (besides cage vs ring) in Pride you cannot elbow to the head, but you can kick or knee opponents to the head when they are down. Pride and UFC need to work together to grow the sport. The main issue with cross-over fights right now is whose rules to be used, and of course money.

Not sure I would want to see Ortiz-Liddell before Sobral. He is being underrated by alot of people for this fight. Even the UFC itself kinda overlooked him when they tentatively announced the Wanderlai/Liddell fight "if he wins". I am scared that Zuffa is going to turn MMA in the US into a WWE type event. A few rivalries is nice to have, but I would much rather see 2 guys stand up and shake hands after a fight then constant Ortiz-Shamrock theatrics.

Anyhow, alot of bars in the Ottawa Area are showing this for no cover charge. It is $40 to buy on PPV, I'd rather go out and have 2 pitchers than pay $40 to sit at home. I'll be at Boston Pizza on Merivale watching the fights and having a few pints. I think Local Heroes also shows the fights.

Quote Originally Posted by g8r
    Pride is scheduled to come to Vegas in October. Fedor Emelianenko vs Mark Coleman, being billed as Russia vs US fight. Fedor is amazing and this should bring Pride into the forefront in the US. They are the "more popular" one worldwide and have had problems getting sanctioned in the US. The difference is (besides cage vs ring) in Pride you cannot elbow to the head, but you can kick or knee opponents to the head when they are down. Pride and UFC need to work together to grow the sport. The main issue with cross-over fights right now is whose rules to be used, and of course money.

Not sure I would want to see Ortiz-Liddell before Sobral. He is being underrated by alot of people for this fight. Even the UFC itself kinda overlooked him when they tentatively announced the Wanderlai/Liddell fight "if he wins". I am scared that Zuffa is going to turn MMA in the US into a WWE type event. A few rivalries is nice to have, but I would much rather see 2 guys stand up and shake hands after a fight then constant Ortiz-Shamrock theatrics.

Anyhow, alot of bars in the Ottawa Area are showing this for no cover charge. It is $40 to buy on PPV, I'd rather go out and have 2 pitchers than pay $40 to sit at home. I'll be at Boston Pizza on Merivale watching the fights and having a few pints. I think Local Heroes also shows the fights.
    100% !, i'd be at the bar with you but due to early golf and the wife i'm restricted this time .

They're showing it also at New Edinburgh Pub, no charge. I believe (but I could be mistaken) that Liddell has beaten Sobral in the past also. lemme do some research... yes. Chuck has beaten Renato Sobral before.

My mistake on the BJ/St pierre, I though it was Hughes who was injured, not Georges. BJ did beat Hughes last time, and was the underdog. Look to a decisive victory by Hughes in this one, he won't get caught by bj again.

Also my mistake on the ultimate Fighter, its season 4 thats awesome. all the contestants on this one have ufc experience.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    I'll definitley be watching this weekend. A few beers and a good face pounding is just what I need after a week of unsuccessful house hunting...or a great way to celebrate if by some miracle I find a place. Personally, I don't mind Joe Rogan. He's kind of annoying, but at least he knows what he's talking about. He gets a little too into it, but for someone like me who really doesn't know that much about the techniques etc, its really useful to have a guy who can explain what the hell the guys are trying to do when they're grappling.

10.00pm est only on PPV.

Forum Jedi XTOUR is on a distinguished road XTOUR's Avatar
    Oct 10, on SPIKE....ORTIZ VS SHAMROCK announced last night.

For those who watched this , this was freekin awesome ! A superb fight night !

So, did anyone watch the latest UFC bouts?

I was really disappointed at Loaseau. He looked afraid and everytime a puch was thrown his way he just covered up and took a bunch more.

I was also extremely disappointed BJ Penn did not have better cardio. He had Hughes in some real trouble until he ran out of gas at the end of the second round. Third round he was so tired he could not defend himself and lost as a result. I really think Penn had an awesome chance of beating Hughes.

BTW, what did you think of St. Pierre's comment after the fight? The whole Hughes camp was pissed.

Hughes is a monster , but Bj Penn only has himself to blame for the bad cardio, but i did hear that he injured himself at the end of the 2nd round. Loiseau is too cocky , a great fighter , but this result will do him good , he was looking for the knockout punch the whole fight and ran out of time, but expect him to bounce back a bit later. There are rumours that GSP was told to say those things about Matt hughes , i'm not sure , i think what he was trying to say was lost in translation a bit , but for sure hughes was pi**ed. Not a bad fight card , but a couple of disapointments.
    i do believe that GSP will beat Matt hughes , for the title , this year !

What was the injury to BJ?
    If anyone can beat Hughes, it is St. Pierre. He has the mega cardio to go with mad skills.

Apparently , he separeted his muscles from his rib cage , which explains alot about the 3 round. A great fight none the less but the rumour is that BJ will drop to 155lbs , and will destroy that weight class.

Damned, that must have hurt big time. Whoever fights Penn will get a royal whopping in response to his 2 losses.
    Go GSP.

Thread Information