CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cartz

Hybrid clankoffdatee is on a distinguished road

Cartz

Ever wonder why people use golf carts other than those who are not physically challenged and/ or seniors? There is nothing worse on the course than seeing two able bodied players wheel around in a cart.What gives?

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I've always wondered the same thing. Obviously some courses are unplayable without carts (Le Sorcier and other very hilly courses) but very few courses can't be walked.

The best excuse I heard was from my brother-in-law (who's a cardiologist BTW). His excuse was that golf was a "precision" game and he didn't want to get "tired" and thus take away from his "precision". Umm, yeah. I think he just wants to drum up more business.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    I don't understand what the difference is. Some people just like to cart, who cares?

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Nothing better than walking around a golf course when its 36 deg , with the humidity at 93% .
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Lazy bones

To each his/her own but two young able dudes playing an executive course in a cart exemplifies "lame".Makes no sense.Generally those who play lower end courses do so for a reason oftentimes that is budget-thats ok but think of all the extra rounds you could play if you weren"t paying for a cart.Pineview exec isn't exactly the back @ Cascades.

I have a buddy who plays +5 @ Outaoais-in a cart(30 something able bodied). We constantly tell him it doesn"t count - Do it like the rest of us (if you are fortunate to).

3 Wood mcnorth is on a distinguished road mcnorth's Avatar
    The thing that drives me nuts about carts is how they really screw up the pace of the game. Even if the cart players aren't great they play so much faster than walkers. At my home course we have a lot of cart players, many of them regular twosomes or singles even, who are good players and it seems there is almost always someone in a cart riding your heels and waiting around to play through. It's annoying.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/FONT]

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    The courses I play have the cart included in the cost of the green fee. I'm pretty sure 98% of the people who are there ride carts. I don't mind it.

Stop whining.

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    I always cart ... but free cart = easy decision
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat Williams
    I always cart ... but free cart = easy decision
    I really don't see the problem with carts.

Besides, most of the log jams on the course are due to courses that get greedy and space their tee-off times too close together. Most courses around here have an 11 minute gap so there are no issues.

That being said, I've walked a lot of courses too and have caught up to people in carts because they suck so bad. You can be fast when you walk, and sometimes quicker due to "cart path only" rule on some courses.

Mike999
    My buddy and I made the mistake to play Cascades without a cart. We were warned that the back 9 is realllllly brutal without a cart, and if we wanted we could rent one just for the back 9 and carry the front. Well after the front 9 we felt fine, and figured it couldnt be much worse than what we had played (you can see the 10th tee easy from clubhouse, and it isnt too intimidating). Boy were we wrong. Our tee off was 11:00, so you can imagine....1:00 starting the back nine, temp at 36, w/ humidity 46....we stocked up on water after 9, and were out by the 11th......ya that sucked. Im NEVER going back again without a cart.

Aside from that, I use golf as a form of exercise. I need a way to keep in shape because I used to be a pretty serious mountain biker and then more recently BMX'er, so golfing is my new exercise seeing how I sold my BMX just today.
    Walking is more fun and casual anyhow. I love just shootin the while waltzin down the fairway.

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    I prefer to carry myself. However there is at least one case I can think if (aside from ridiculously hilly golf courses) where I have found carts to be useful: If you're planning to play a LOT of golf in a short period of time and don't want to get exhausted. Like, for example, the last two years I've gone to Palm Springs in the spring and played 36-holes a day for 4 days straight. There's no way I would have been able to do that without a cart!

MJF

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    I prefer walking, if for no other reason than to keep my head in the game. I also prefer the exercise and don't mind the heat at all. Carts to me are a distraction, going to your buddy's ball, sometimes 2-3 times before you get to hit your 2nd shot. I can focus on the next shot when I am walking and get a rhythm. I have trouble with that in a cart.

Quote Originally Posted by clankoffdatee
    To each his/her own but two young able dudes playing an executive course in a cart exemplifies "lame".Makes no sense.Generally those who play lower end courses do so for a reason oftentimes that is budget-thats ok but think of all the extra rounds you could play if you weren"t paying for a cart.Pineview exec isn't exactly the back @ Cascades.

I have a buddy who plays +5 @ Outaoais-in a cart(30 something able bodied). We constantly tell him it doesn"t count - Do it like the rest of us (if you are fortunate to).

That makes no sense and is pretty ridiculous. Just because you don't like carting and other peple do doesn't make it lame by any means. That's just so stupid to call it "lame", i can't wrap my head around why it would rub you the wrong way? Did a cart take advantage of you in some way in your past, need to get something off of your shoulders?

Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc
    I prefer walking, if for no other reason than to keep my head in the game. ....
    Same here.

However, hills and/or heat can make me ride. For example, I ride at Nation.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    I was going to stay out of this on but oh what to hell, I may as well ad my 2¢

What are carts there for? Yup, to be ridden. Now, a years back, I took a cart every time I played (up to 140 times per year) for 2 reasons: I was almost 300 pounds and couldn't get my fat ass up some of the hills at Outaouais and I have a bad knee that needs replacing and with all the weight I was carrying around, I couldn't go more than 2 holes without being in pain. Now I fixed the weight problem, which has helped my knee tremendously. And even though I dropped 125 pounds, I still occasionally enjoy riding in a cart. Becuase I am lame or lazy? NO, because I feel like strapping the clubs to the back and not bothering with them and just sit in the cart and let my FC take me to my ball. I will ride on a very hot and humid day and I will ride if it is very hilly.

Now, having said that, I know many people who look to be in fantastic shape, young and strong who ride carts and I don't judge them. YOu should also know that some of them have non-apparent medical reason for doing so. I was playing with a young lad about 16 or 17 and he was in a cart while the 3 of us were walking. One of my buddies put his foot in his mouth by saying you youngsters are getting lazier by the day (jokingly) Why don't you get some exercise and carry your bag for 18 holes! To my buddies utter embaressment the kid said, I would love to sir, but I had a cancerous bone tumor removed from my knee a few months ago and it just isn't strong enough to do that yet. Hopefully next year I will be able to carry again.....

Not wise to prejudge these so called 'lazzy ass or lame' people who ride carts
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Head wraps

Quote Originally Posted by John
    That makes no sense and is pretty ridiculous. Just because you don't like carting and other peple do doesn't make it lame by any means. That's just so stupid to call it "lame", i can't wrap my head around why it would rub you the wrong way? Did a cart take advantage of you in some way in your past, need to get something off of your shoulders?
    I have no problem with carts or those who wish to use them.I simply don't understand why ABLE bodied otherwise HEALTHY individuals would want to cart it especially on a short and less demanding course like an executive course. There is no mention of those who have had to deal with unfortunate medical circumstances(god bless) and I excluded seniors and those who are physically challenged. I realize that playing in a cart certainly doesn't define what caliber of player you are. Many of us who carry are #$*tty

I prefer to carry and I believe that those who CAN are missing out on a dimension of the game.Of course,that is my opinion only and you obviously disagree-which is your perogative. I'm not sure if it is necessary to categorize it as "stupid" though afterall this is a forum.

How is stupid any different than lame?

Clank, I am curious about thie doesn't count aspect to you. Why wouldn't it 'count'? If he plays +5, wether it be in a cart, carrying or using an electronic caddie, it is still +5 isn't it?

cartz

It definitely counts-and he does it often.He plays a bunch of courses and scores well at most.He's a very solid player.I should have explained that we say that to get in his kitchen.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Let me see if I can come up with something to illustrate the difference

Lame basically means that someone is pathetically lacking in force or effectiveness like a "a lame effort" or a "lame argument"

Stupid is when someone is lacking or marked by lack of intellectual acuity

In forum terms "Richard" constantly demonstrates 'Lame' pick-up lines yet he is obviously NOT stupid because we wants to play golf with me oh yeah, and he has a bazillion degrees

I didn't refer to your opinion as lame.
    You referred to mine as stupid.
    It may indeed be stupid-but it is mine nonetheless.
    Have a nice day.

It definitely counts-and he does it often.He plays a bunch of courses and scores well at most.He's a very solid player.I should have explained that we say that to get in his kitchen.

Ah ok, sorry bud, I misunderstood. Having been a member at Outaouais for 12 years, I though it sounded lalot like one of the usual Saturday and Sunday morning 'calcutta group' arguements!

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker
    Let me see if I can come up with something to illustrate the difference

Lame basically means that someone is pathetically lacking in force or effectiveness like a "a lame effort" or a "lame argument"

Stupid is when someone is lacking or marked by lack of intellectual acuity

In forum terms "Richard" constantly demonstrates 'Lame' pick-up lines yet he is obviously NOT stupid because we wants to play golf with me oh yeah, and he has a bazillion degrees
    Hack my friend, let me help you really make your point....

Indio constantly demonstrates, oh never mind ...........

cartz

Quote Originally Posted by Indio
    Ah ok, sorry bud, I misunderstood. Having been a member at Outaouais for 12 years, I though it sounded lalot like one of the usual Saturday and Sunday morning 'calcutta group' arguements!
    No worries.
    I don't equate calibre of a player to cart riding.
    Some of the best guys and players I know play on a cart.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    To each is own, however my wife and i carry our bags 99% of the time and we find you get more out of your game.Its just a great way to stay healthy and spend some time chatting with other golfers.You find out a lot about people on a golf course and we just enjoy the game so much more.By the way we play Cascades on a regular basis and walk the course carying our clubs and its not that bad if you are fit.Having said that some players may have physical limitations and can not climb steep hills and that is o.k.but walking gets our vote any time .Play your best and enjoy the day.

Thread Information