100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Balls?!?!?!?

Sand Wedge lmh3 is on a distinguished road lmh3's Avatar
    I play the TP Red and really like it. It took a while for them to win me over from the Bridgestone B330-S, which is another great golf ball. The first round I played the Red, it only made it three holes before it went back in the bag for the B330-S, the second round was 9 holes, but the third round it made it through the whole round and hasn't left the bag since. I think it took a little while to get used to how hot the ball came off the face of the club, but now that I know how it will react, it is great. Good trajectory off and just enough spin to stop but not back up too much like the ProV1.

"Richard"
    geoff, what did you think of the apex tour i gave you?

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    geoff, what did you think of the apex tour i gave you?
    Didn't last too long. Lost it somewhere along the way. One thing I did notice, a much higher trajectory off the driver than most balls I've used.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

"Richard"
    its amazing to me that you guys can tell the difference between a ball. Give me a prov1 and a noodle, video tape both my shots and asked me to tell you which one is the prov1... I wouldn't be able to tell you.

its amazing to me that you guys can tell the difference between a ball. Give me a prov1 and a noodle, video tape both my shots and asked me to tell you which one is the prov1... I wouldn't be able to tell you.
    But when you've been playing a certain ball for a while you get used to its tendancies. And once you change to another ball, you'd definately find a difference. Just hitting two different balls back to back will not always yield the obvious differences to you. But hit one enough times and then the other you will start to see where one differs from the other.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Richard, this is what happens when you spend three years working at a golf course and are able to hit golf balls for three or four hours a day.

Also, it has a lot to do with the flight of the ball and how it reacts when hit with scoring clubs that really tell you the difference.

"Richard"
    so if there a way to find out what ball is best for you? you can get custom fit for a shaft, what about balls

so if there a way to find out what ball is best for you? you can get custom fit for a shaft, what about balls
    If you go to a place with a Launch Monitor they can tell you what ball reacts best off your driver. It's a great process and really helps to show the difference in golf balls, higher spinning and what not.

Tough to get fit for balls. Best thing to do is to buy a sleeve of some balls you are interested in trying. Do some research and see what balls have the specifications you are looking for. Then buy a sleeve of each and head out to a course for a late afternoon round and hit each ball side by side to get comparisons. Take a couple of extra chip shots around the green to see how each ball behaves. Putt with them to see which ball gives you the best feel and best roll. Hit a few extra drives and approach shots to see distance and spin characteristics. You should be able to narrow your choice that way.

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    If you get on a launch monitor with someone that is educated in the way the numbers work, you can see what is happening and tell them what you want to achieve. Then they can look at their list of ball specs and recommend a ball for your game.

That being said, as someone mentioned before, it's hard to be "fit" for a ball because you might want different characteristics in a ball for different shots. In my opinion though, this is the closest thing you are going to get to a "fitting" for a ball.

P.S- I didn't forget about your diet Depe, I've been busy with work. I'm off in a week so I'll work on it then.

Quote Originally Posted by lmh3
    If you go to a place with a Launch Monitor they can tell you what ball reacts best off your driver. It's a great process and really helps to show the difference in golf balls, higher spinning and what not.
    It is a good way, but a little more expesive, and if you or they don't have a particular ball you want to try, you're out of luck. But not a bad idea. But really only beneficial for the driver. From what I hear, LMs are that great for irons yet.

Most shops with a launch monitor will have sleeves of just about every ball that you can use. They will also be trained (hopefully) enough to be able to suggest any others that would work for you.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar

Precept PWR Drive

This ball is great, I have compared it to many balls and from tee to green , for me, it is the best. Geoff, go to www.golfballtest.com and check out what you want in a ball and see how it compares to others. You can slect it for distance off the driver or irons or spin around the greens or cost, durability ...
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Thread Information