CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Balls?!?!?!?

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!

Balls?!?!?!?

Just looking for opinions. Would like to hear feedback on others. Looking to pick up one more dozen to finish out my season. Looking at the following:

Maxfli Black Max
    Callaway HX Tour
    Taylor Made TP (question between the two, which is more like ProV1 and which more like ProV1x)

Want something long off the tee and will check up nicely into a green (with 7 iron to wedges). Awaiting your responses.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Caddy KickerOfElves is on a distinguished road KickerOfElves's Avatar
    If it's the new HX.Tour, I'd recommend the Callaway...

The TPs are just a little too expensive for what seems to be varied opinions.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Geoff you should try the Bridgestone E6 ball. Buy one sleeve and see if you like it. I had a dozen given to me and I really like that ball. Decent off the tee (for an old guy like me to hit it 280 once in awhile) and it seems to hold greens ok.
    $30-35/12.

Give a sleeve a try before you buy the more exspensive balls.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

I picked up a sleeve of the E5 today at my course and the owner threw me one E6 to try as well. Going to give them a shot tomorrow. But in case they don't work was looking for other alternatives.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Don't laugh...Pinnacle Exception. Seriously.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Tried 'em. Didn't quite do it for me.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Geoff is the Mikey of golf.........he'll try ANYTHING!!

Caddy knickers is on a distinguished road knickers's Avatar
    Try the Nike Ignite. Very long off the tee, and it doesnt give up much feel with the irons. picked up a dozen with a little left over store credit and are now staying in the bag. The price is great for a high preformance ball too.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    My favourite ball right now is the Bridgestone E5. Great distance and lots of spin. Checks really nice on the short chip shots. Have also played the E6 which has good distance but not anywhere as nice on the chip shots. Played with the Precept/Bridgestone rep a few weeks ago and he was pounding the E6 but he doesn't like a higher spin ball like the E5.

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    Taylor Made TP Red is the best ball I have ever played. Period.
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Geoff you've got to play the Red TP ball, it is incredible. I have to second Scotty's opinion, the performance is unmatched. It's even superior durability wise to the other high end balls.

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scottycameron
    Taylor Made TP Red is the best ball I have ever played. Period.
    I'll vote for this ball too.

I've pretty much played all the new balls this year. I tried the new HX-Tour, hated them because they have a ty cover. Played the B330 and the B330-S. The S is a really nice ball but I don't like it as much as the TP Red. I played the Srixxon ball, the spin one. I liked that one a lot too but the cover was crappy for durability.

If you are worried about cost, get the B330-S, if not, the TP Red is the way to go.

Just finished a round today with the Bridgestone E5 and have to say I'm impressed. Long off the tee. Good around the greens and on approaches. Might just have to give it a bit more of a test run before I decide on a ball for good.

Albatross Smoothie is on a distinguished road Smoothie's Avatar
    I've used NXT tours and now I'm playing the HX hot. I like it, gives me great distance off the tee, and I can stick it with any mid to low iron on the green. I find the prov's and the like give me too much side spin, a mild fade will turn into almost a slice. And I can stick the hx hot almost as much as a prov, I don't need it to spin back, just stick when it lands. I do want to try the E6 though, I'll probably go buy a sleeve to try 'em out.

Caddy KickerOfElves is on a distinguished road KickerOfElves's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoothie
    I've used NXT tours and now I'm playing the HX hot. I like it, gives me great distance off the tee, and I can stick it with any mid to low iron on the green. I find the prov's and the like give me too much side spin, a mild fade will turn into almost a slice. And I can stick the hx hot almost as much as a prov, I don't need it to spin back, just stick when it lands. I do want to try the E6 though, I'll probably go buy a sleeve to try 'em out.
    The HX Hot is long, that's for sure. I found it was at least a club longer than the other balls I was playing...I airmailed a pile of greens when I tried it earlier this year.

"Richard"
    Hogan tour deep, I'll hook you up with a sleeve when I see you. Actually I'll give you two tour deep and two apex tours.

Product Detail The New Ben Hogan Tour Deep golf ball features a new deep dimple design which gives more distance. The reaction injected urethane cover is the thinnest cover in golf. This is the ultimate in high speed performance.

Features:
    • Next generation multi layer for superior performance from tee to green.
    • Soft high velocity core for increased distance with soft feel.
    • Six deep dimple design improves aerodynamics for more distance.
    • Three piece technology.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    I kinda like the yellow Pinnacle balls with the dual red stripes that I bought tonight at Kevin Haimes - very nice indeed

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker
    I kinda like the yellow Pinnacle balls with the dual red stripes that I bought tonight at Kevin Haimes - very nice indeed
    They sell those now? Sweet, don't you get about 100 of them for $10?

Got My Card zoic is on a distinguished road zoic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hogan tour deep, I'll hook you up with a sleeve when I see you. Actually I'll give you two tour deep and two apex tours.
    Well I found one already, brand new, so you just keep loosing them and I will have a sleeve soon enough, hehehe.
    [COLOR=DarkRed]"Friends don't let friends use Internet Explorer"

[/COLOR]Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Richard

Product Detail The New Ben Hogan Tour Deep golf ball features a new deep dimple design which gives more distance. The reaction injected urethane cover is the thinnest cover in golf. This is the ultimate in high speed performance.

Features:
    • Next generation multi layer for superior performance from tee to green.
    • Soft high velocity core for increased distance with soft feel.
    • Six deep dimple design improves aerodynamics for more distance.
    • Three piece technology.
    I tried the Tour Deep from last summer and liked it but prefer the TP Red.

7 Wood dan_670_12 is on a distinguished road dan_670_12's Avatar
    I recomend the nike ignite golf balls or the nike one platinum. I love them both but i tend to play the ignites a little more for the price.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    Just finished a round today with the Bridgestone E5 and have to say I'm impressed. Long off the tee. Good around the greens and on approaches. Might just have to give it a bit more of a test run before I decide on a ball for good.
    Did you find Tobu?
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge
    Did you find Tobu?
    If Tobu is several drives over 300 yds, then yes, I definately found Tobu.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I've played the Bridgestone and the Callaway, but in the end I keep coming back to the original ProVI. Great ball and a great price from Knetgolf.com. It's hard for me to change. I've been a Titleist guy since May of 1962. I remember the first dozen that I bought! And they never, ever disappoint .... unlike their owner.

3 Wood mcnorth is on a distinguished road mcnorth's Avatar
    The Pro V is what I would play if I could shoot straight. But they're too pricey to lose regularly. Great feel everywhere on the course.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by mpare
    I've played the Bridgestone and the Callaway, but in the end I keep coming back to the original ProVI. Great ball and a great price from Knetgolf.com. It's hard for me to change. I've been a Titleist guy since May of 1962. I remember the first dozen that I bought! And they never, ever disappoint .... unlike their owner.
    I used to play the ProV1, but ever since I've tried the TP Red I haven't been able to go back. I find I get too much spin off the driver with the ProV1 for some reason.

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    Earlier in the year, I was playing the Maxfli Revolution Tour which I found had excellent spin characteristics for me. However, about a month or two ago I started playing the most recent generation of ProV1s. They don't spin quite as much as the Maxflis but I've picked up about 5 yards of distance on iron shots. I haven't done a side-by-side comparison with the driver though.

As has been stated above, the problem with the ProVs is their price. Fortunately, I haven't been losing all that many balls lately... but I'm sure a 5-ball round is lurking out there somewhere.

MJF

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    Just looking for opinions. Would like to hear feedback on others. Looking to pick up one more dozen to finish out my season.
    For you, Callaway HX Pearl.

Seriously. It's supposed to be the next Precept MC Lady.

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent
    For you, Callaway HX Pearl.

Seriously. It's supposed to be the next Precept MC Lady.
    Not sure about that. I get enough ribbing as it is now for my pink driver shaft and pink Yes putter. Don't need to add to the fire.

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    Thanks to this thread I went out and bought a dozen TP red golf balls and used them at our final Sunday league outing. I think it's a great ball, It goes long off of the tee (farther than Pro V1's) and are quite good around a greens. None of my shots ballooned and all shots stopped quickly on the green without excessive backspin. Took some of my winnings and purchased a dozen TP blacks, I can't wait to see how far those suckers will fly . Thanks for the insight!!!

Thread Information