+ Reply to Thread
    "Richard"

Cutting down my belly putter

Well lately I've been putting amazingy and my friends suddenly seem to have a problem with my belly putter. I know its not illegal YET and I could tell them to go to hell but then I would have no one to play with other than you lovely people on the forum (not a bad thing). Anyway, if I were to cut down my 45" putter to 35" what would happen? its a centre shafted putter. I know the grip would need to be changed. Geoff told me that it would be a "heavy" putter with a higher MOI and harder to not swing through your line which seems to be a good thing. Anyway, any down side to this? I think the shaft is the same daimeter from top to bottom os replacing the grip shoudln't be a problem. Any suggestions?

They also have a problem with my range finder that I just bought, they can't afford one so accuse me of "buying" strokes LOL. I don't know why, but i can't stop playing with these guys. When I play with them tomorrow I'm going to accuse them of buying strokes as well (they are taking group lessons )

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Usually the heads intended for belly putters are made heavier to keep a good feel. Cutting it down will most likely give you a very head heavy putter. Not necessarily a bad thing. Best thing to do would be to try it first.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    I'd just offer to let them use your equipment any time that they want......you'll want to keep track of course so that you can penalize them under Rule 4.4a - the player must not add or borrow a club selected for play by any other person playing under the course ( 2 stroke penalty per hole at which the breach occured - max of 4 strokes)

"Richard"
    well they all play pretty expensive iron sets so I just say... your irons are worth more than mine so whats the big deal if I bought a range finder, your bag is still work more than mine.. is that not "buying strokes" by your logic. Apper. there is a difference between spending money on equipment and range finders... Its hilarious. I love debating with retards. I have something to come home and post about. I was once told that the line on my ball was to thick. My golf sandles were kicking up spike marks (no they weren't) and also that my putter cant be longer than my driver... :S

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Don't be cheap "RICHARD" just go to GT and use some of your store credit and buy yourself a nice YES putter. Don't chop yours down! Hey see if they can order you a pink grip one, and then you and Geoff can be Forum Twins!
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Tell them if they don't like it, to write to the RCGA. Until then...

"Richard"
    Dan, I'm surprised that you would think it is that easy with my friends after reading all the posts about them This was the reason I returned my range finder... but thanks to you I just use google earth now (only helps on decided what club to use off the tee, the rest.. you're on your own). GB the credit is almost done, I only have a bit left. Don't want to waste it on a putter if I can just cut this one down. I've grown used to it now, I love the mallet head and the grey-white-grey head to help line the ball up. If for some reason I lose the "magic" then I'll just sell it on ebay. Probably get more for it anyway as a 35" isntead of a 45" belly putter

You ditched the rangefinder because your buddies gave you a hard time for using a legal tool? Now you are doing the same with your putter? It sounds like they know exactly how to push your buttons LOL!

"Richard"
    Its either that or play all my rounds with fundonny and I can't afford that... the drinking would get to expensive. They are very good friends of mine off the golf course but you get them on the course and its win at all cost.. except when its at my cost because they can't afford the lesson (until this season), the range finders, the 460cc $400+ drivers and such things. Actually saying they can't afford it is a lie, they are just to cheap to spring for it. I've told them they are more than welcome to ask me the yardage, I'll walk over to their ball and tell them how far it is (like you did for me.. thanks ) but no go. So its either play with the same epuipment as them or don't. I'm not usually a push over in any aspect of life but when it comes to golf, its only a game. I could care less if I have a range finder, it saves me maybe a stroke a round at most. The belly putter on the other hand... it does feel like cheating as of late. Line it up, bring the arms back, drop it and watch the putt go in. No head twisting, no putter head not going back and then forth on its line... just straight through. But I've told them I don't want them using balls that flash in the dark so they can find it during our 5pm rounds. I've told them, stroke and distance on out of bounds, make them play by all the rules. They want to be jerks, I can be a jerk to The best was I was up by 5 strokes on the last hole with one of these guys. I purposely used a driver on a dog leg left (bends at 210) and smoked it into the forest and said "opps, but it doesn't matter I've already won." Then I hit another one into the trees and said "like I said, doesn't matter I've already won" Then I hit an iron, another iron, three putts for a 9. You could see him counting my shots and thinking hey I can still win this! You should have seen the smile on his face. He had a 4 for a "tie" He was smiling ear to ear. Shook my hand and said good game, you had me until that last hole. I told him I had him as soon as I saw 15 clubs in his bag and proceeded to pull out the sheet with all our rankings (who has won against who and so on). He just looked at me and said "so, what does that mean? I didn't use all 15 clubs, I didn't touch my 5 iron all day" Told him it didn't matter, you guys want to be idiots about me and my equipment even when its within the rules of golf? then I will make sure you guys play by all the rules and you will see how quickly your 86 turns into a 94! He just looked at me and said thats stupid. I told him, no its stupid of you to get mad at me for playing by the rules and even more stupid when I call you guys on your rules infractions and you get mad then as well. He just walked off... saw him the next day and kicked his ass again

The funny thing was, I told them... I'm going to use my range finder, my belly putter but I'll just keep a seperate score card from you guys. Won't tell you my scores you don't tell me yours.. I'll be playing with you guys but not against you. Their reply "thats stupid, we could just bring someone else to play against... having 3 other people trying to beat you is what makes golf fun" I just looked at him. You are right dan, they know how to push my buttons but you should see what I do them on the course. I call them on everything now. The most I let them do is bump in the fairway. I have tons of stories like this.. its hilarious

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Anyway, if I were to cut down my 45" putter to 35" what would happen? its a centre shafted putter.
    Back on topic.

One other thing to watch for is that the lie angle of the putter may not be right for you any more if you cut it down.

If indeed the angle is wrong you can either get the shaft bent or they make adapters to change lie angle for putters.

Some of your friends are pretty odd.

"Richard"
    Jvincent, thanks.. didn't know that

Dan, thanks... did know that

Maybe I'll bring one of my crazies with me instead of bobby to manderly this time

That's OK. Bobby will be fine

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    I told him I had him as soon as I saw 15 clubs in his bag.....
    Note to self:

Remove extra 4 clubs from bag before playing with "Richard"

Thread Information