100 Holes of Hope
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Surprise surprise. Andru arguing in another thread and trying to push his OPINION on other people.

I don't see how you think EC doesn't require shot shaping. I've played it about 100 times and agree with what jvincent has to say about the holes he's mentioned. Perhaps you were playing the red tees when you were there.

For the record. I enjoy links style courses and traditional courses. In my OPINION, the most interesting course is one that mixes the links style with the traditional style.

Hybrid clankoffdatee is on a distinguished road

ec vs marshes

PersoanallyI think they are both great courses for the buck. $85 for a good course including cart is phenomenal. I don"t usually play with a cart(dead horse) but its gotta be worth $20 or so right? Therefor $65 is pretty fair.That is comparable to LM or EC. Personally I love EC. I like the t time intervals and usually good conditions.Not crazy about the bugs and the hike though.

As for shot shaping and its relation to course design, I'm just trying to get the shape out of my shots. I think from the blues both are a pretty good test for the buck. I agree with whoever said it was a question of expectations when we pay a little more. I just got back from Tremblant and played the entire lineup. Talk about overpriced! Some nice courses but way too much $$$$ My winner was the cheapest of the bunch-Royal Laurentian.

Hybrid clankoffdatee is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer
    Surprise surprise. Andru arguing in another thread and trying to push his OPINION on other people.

For the record. I enjoy links style courses and traditional courses. In my OPINION, the most interesting course is one that mixes the links style with the traditional style.
    I agree with that. Camelot is a great example.

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent
    Oh please. Every golf course on the planet can be played as point and shoot.

But to your point, the tee shot on #2 at EC is best played as a draw for the right hander. The tee shot on #5 is best played as a fade. Etc.

Depending on where you are on the fairway and where the pin is, a fade is required to avoid the front bunker on #4. A draw into the green on #7 is the correct shot. Etc.
    ha. Now you're just pretending it's Augusta or something.

Number 2 the par five throw and high fade or draw out there. it's going to stick. The only time you need to curve it is from the whites.

Number 4. The par 3? It's a 5 iron max and the green holds anything. no need to shape the shot.

7 You shape a draw ball into 7? Why? It's a hybrid into the green ( or 7 iron for EdmontonGolfer ) and you can use the backstop to help slow it down if it's back left. If it's front left Just throw a dart and put down hill.

Man if I over thought ec that much I'd think it was the cats meow too. The truth is you don't have to think that much. A couple of the greens like #8 force you to consider your distance for a decent shot a birdie but there's no need to work the ball. Not in the same way you need to at the marshes from the tips. EC has amazing scenery and 3 really cool holes. 9, 17, and 18. Maybe even 10 I can see how playing a left to right tee shot at 10 makes sense.

And EdmontonGolfer if you carry the distances you say you do then you certainly don't need to work any ball at EC. Your ball flies most of the trouble and the doglegs with the exception being 17. If you carry 280-300. You need to turn the ball right to left but most pros hit 3 wood take it down the inside and eliminate the need to make that shot. But those are the long hitting pros.

Andru

I don't see how you think EC doesn't require shot shaping. I've played it about 100 times and agree with what jvincent has to say about the holes he's mentioned. Perhaps you were playing the red tees when you were there.

Yup that must be it I've been playing the reds all this time. It sure is nice. using a driver 9 iron into par 5's. I feel like John Daly!

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andru
    ha. Now you're just pretending it's Augusta or something.

Number 2 the par five throw and high fade or draw out there. it's going to stick. The only time you need to curve it is from the whites.

Number 4. The par 3? It's a 5 iron max and the green holds anything. no need to shape the shot.

7 You shape a draw ball into 7? Why? It's a hybrid into the green ( or 7 iron for EdmontonGolfer ) and you can use the backstop to help slow it down if it's back left. If it's front left Just throw a dart and put down hill.

Man if I over thought ec that much I'd think it was the cats meow too. The truth is you don't have to think that much.
    I never said it was in Augusta's league. I can throw balls at the fairways of the Marshes all day and make them stick too. It's not a real links course. It's "links style".

My mistake, I meant #3 not #4. If you're comfortable hitting a hybrid over the bunkers on #7 and can hold the green, good for you. The correct shot to that hole position is a draw.

Andru, for whatever reason you seem to always insist that that the Marshes is the worlds greatest thinking / shot making course and won't hear otherwise. IMHO, I think it's corporate goofy golf. We're just going to have to disagree.

If you want to play some courses that really make you think and will test your game, I'd suggest the following:

Pacific Dunes, Pinehurst #2, Spyglass Hill, Bandon Dunes, Pasatiempo, Torrey Pines South, Pinehurst #4, Links at Spanish Bay, Pinehurst #8.

And yes, I've played them all.

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent
    I never said it was in Augusta's league. I can throw balls at the fairways of the Marshes all day and make them stick too.
    This is not true and you know it. Unless it rained all night. They keep those fariways rolling and the greens harder than EC.

We're just going to have to disagree.
    Agreed.

If you want to play some courses that really make you think and will test your game, I'd suggest the following:
    Pacific Dunes, Pinehurst #2, Spyglass Hill, Bandon Dunes, Pasatiempo, Torrey Pines South, Pinehurst #4, Links at Spanish Bay, Pinehurst #8.
    And yes, I've played them all.
    I"m not sure when this became "here's all the great courses I've played thread" but ok.

If you were comparing those courses to the Marshes on this thread. You wouldn't have heard a peep from me. The minute you brought up EC. It's open season. EC is a typical parkland dart throwing course with nice elevated tees.

This is not true and you know it. Unless it rained all night. They keep those fariways rolling and the greens harder than EC.

Agreed.

I"m not sure when this became "here's all the great courses I've played thread" but ok.

If you were comparing those courses to the Marshes on this thread. You wouldn't have heard a peep from me. The minute you brought up EC. It's open season. EC is a typical parkland dart throwing course with nice elevated tees.
    Almost like "Here's who I just watched play and look at the yardage book I just saw." ?

HAHA!!

PKB.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Whenever I've played the Marshes, which granted isn't that often because I don't like it, it's always been relatively soft. It will never be as soft as EC because of their respective locations but I've never had any problem holding balls in the fairway or on the greens at the Marshes.

I bring those courses up because I've played them, they are recognized as some of the best courses in the world, and I can use them as a reference for the local courses.

As an example, if you want hard greens, take a trip to Pinehurst #2. I've never had trouble holding a well hit PW on any green in Ottawa. It's very disconcerting to see a ball that you think will stop dead take a big bounce when it hits the green and stops on the back fringe.

I don't know why you think EC has lots of elevated tees. There are only two that I'd call elevated, #1 and #10. The other have tee boxes that are maybe 4 or 5 feet high max.

don't know why you think EC has lots of elevated tees. There are only two that I'd call elevated, #1 and #10. The other have tee boxes that are maybe 4 or 5 feet high max.
    That 4 feet of elevation makes a difference remember? That's why our yardages are so inaccurate. HAHAA!!

This guy is a piece of work.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    That 4 feet of elevation makes a difference remember? That's why our yardages are so inaccurate. HAHAA!!

This guy is a piece of work.

And every time he says something to get 'a reaction' he gets one so why wouldn't e continue doing it, it is what he loves
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Indio
    And every time he says something to get 'a reaction' he gets one so why wouldn't e continue doing it, it is what he loves
    I'm pretty sure he believes in what he says. I don't think he'd go to so much trouble just to get reactions out of people. If that's the case, I feel sorry for him.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure he believes in what he says. I don't think he'd go to so much trouble just to get reactions out of people. If that's the case, I feel sorry for him.

Take a gander at most of his posts......
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Oy... will this topic ever die? Some people like the Marshes, some don't. What's the big deal? It's OKAY for a person to NOT like a course that YOU like. Some people don't like Eagle Creek, and that's OKAY.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    If there was no golf course on the terrain where The Marshes is built, would I enjoy a walk, there? NO! If there was no golf course on the terrain where Eagle Creek is built, would I enjoy a walk, there? YES! The Marshes is bulldozed and artificial, modern and tricked up. Eagle Creek is natural and fair.

Both are difficult and require good play to score well, however, Eagle Creek's setting makes it hugely more enjoyable to play.

Playing at The Marshes or a Stonebridge, is truly, "A Good Walk Spoiled."

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    But it's okay to disagree. People are allowed to have different opinions regarding the same course. Just seems that some folks can't accept that people like the Marshes and try to convince them to change their minds.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Andru
    I don't need your sympathy EdmontonGolfer maybe you and Indio can conitnue your bashing via PM if makes you feel better. I don't believe the rest of the members care about this nonsense.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I agree. This thread has deteriorated into a playground sandbox.
    It would help a great deal if people would refrain from insulting or taking pot shots at those who don't agree with you. 'nuf said.

Closed.

Thread Information