+ Reply to Thread
    Shagging Balls DavidY is on a distinguished road DavidY's Avatar

Hybrids: Varying lofts to replace irons

I have an Infiniti 19* hybrid with a "2" showing on the sole. Today, I was checking the Orlimar HipSteel hybrids....18* as a 3 iron replacement, 21* as a 4. Am I correct to assume that you cannot judge which iron the hybrid replaces by it's loft? And that each manufacturer has differing lofts to replace the 3 and 4 irons? How you mix and match hybrids from different manufacturers?

I have also noticed that increments between hybrids are generally 3*.

Also, anyone familar with the Orlimar HipSteel hybrids? Any comments and/or experiences would be appreciated. Currently, GT has them pretty cheap at $50 each. Thanks.

Dave

Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar
    You are partially correct/wrong.
    You can and should use the loft to determine what you are replacing. You definitely do not want to go by i.e. labelled a 2, 3, 4 etc.
    Each manufacturer is different in their label vs. loft.

You are best to look up the specs (on net if u don't know) so you know the loft of the iron(s) you are replacing. I replaced my callaway 3&4 iron with ben hogan cft's.
    The callaways were 3= 21deg, the 4=23.5 deg. Hogans 3=21deg, 4=24 deg.

Now here's where it gets really tricky. Although a hybrid is shorter in length than a fairway wood, it is still longer than the iron you are replacing. Further if you get a graphite shaft like I did, you will end up with a club that is longer than the one you are replacing.
    When I need to hit longer than my fusion 5 iron, the gap between it and the 4 hybrid hogan is bigger than it should be. My solution is to always choke down a couple inches and it usually flies the length I want. When needing longer distance I hit normal.
    Be careful, not as simple as it seems.
    PS if buying again in future I would buy an integrated set hybrid/normal to solve this.
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    shark makes some good points. Although shorter than fwy wds, but longer than the equivalent irons hybrids can create gaps in your set. For me, if I am looking to replace a 3 and 4 iron with hybrids I will look at grabbing a 4 and 5 hybrid. Although the lofts might differ a little from the irons they are replacing I find the added length enough to offset the difference and keeps the distance gaps in the set closer together.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    shark makes some good points. Although shorter than fwy wds, but longer than the equivalent irons hybrids can create gaps in your set. For me, if I am looking to replace a 3 and 4 iron with hybrids I will look at grabbing a 4 and 5 hybrid. Although the lofts might differ a little from the irons they are replacing I find the added length enough to offset the difference and keeps the distance gaps in the set closer together.
    Good thinking (wish I had thought of that).
    Could have gotten a 4&5 hybrid to replace my 3&4 irons. Plus I treated the hybrids like a fairway wood and assumed I should get my usual 'graphite' shaft, when the steel shaft would have been a better choice to be 'closer' to my steel shaft irons I was replacing.
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    See, you should always consult with me before making equipment purchases. I know my stuff.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    One other thing to consider is that the hybrids will tend to fly higher which also usually means a little longer as well.

As was suggested earlier, replacing a 3i/4i with a 4H/5H is usually a good bet. I built a 4H/5H earlier this year to replace 3i/4i and they work perfectly. The other thing I made sure to do was NOT make them longer than the clubs they were replacing.

Thread Information