CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Howdy, new here

Mike999

Howdy, new here

Boy, am I glad I found out about this site. I didn't know there was such an active online golf community in Ottawa.

Anyways, about myself, I'm a 20 year old student. I just got "seriously" into golf this year. I have this extremely old-school Spalding "full" (lol, driver, 3 wood, 5, 7, 9, wedge, putter) set. I figure in the winter I will start working on getting new stuff.

I live not 2 minutes away from the Kevin Haime golf centre, and frequent there quite a bit. I have been trying to play as many courses as I can this summer (I started frequently golfing at the start of July). I havent gotten to play any of the top courses yet. I figure I don't need to spend 100 bucks on the fee then have to pay for 20 golf balls.

I played Pakenham today. It's alright. to be honest I don't really know which courses are great compared to others, but so far the best looking course I have played is the oaks of Cobden. I've heard fantastic things on here about greensmere so I think I will play that next week. I normally go play 18 2x a week.

Hmm, I guess my handicap is........okay, lets not talk about that. My best score so far on any 18 hole course is 110, which I actually did today at Pakenham, and also last week at Glen Mar.

Well, I suppose that's all. This is a great site you have here.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Welcome to the site!

If you're interested in one of the best starter set of irons ever made, let me know. I have a set of Taylor Made SuperSteel (right handed) that I could sell ya for cheap.

Don't be afraid to speak your mind here, the boys (and gals) love debates!
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum and to the game of a lifetime!

Got My Card zoic is on a distinguished road zoic's Avatar
    Cool, you will like Greensmere very much I think, and should score better as it is not all that hard to play, generous fairways. The greens are fast, so leave your sledge hammer at home and learn a lighter touch for putting. The upside is they roll true, so once you figure out the speed you just need to aim.

LOL, watch how fast your game improves when you figure out you just need to hit it straight, instead of as far as you can. It still has to finish in a 4-1/4" hole.
    [COLOR=DarkRed]"Friends don't let friends use Internet Explorer"

[/COLOR]Kevin

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Welcome aboard Mike!!

You'll find that there a ton of folks around here that have a lot of knowledge to share....and they do so on a constant basis.

You'll be shooting in the 90's before you know it

Mike999
    thats the hope. I'm gunning to crack 100 before the end of the season. That will give tons confidence heading into the spring. Oh, and yeah, I think I need to work on accuracy. I never took any lessons, but figured I was doing fairly decently because I can crack 250.....a fairway or two over.

Ive been working a lot at the driving range on straightening it out, but its pretty ackward right now, but apparently that's how it is for quite sometime. Re-learning to swing is a tough thing to do I hear.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Welcome Mike. I see you are a fellow Stittsvillian. If you are ever up for a round drop me a pm.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    OH OH another "newby" for "richard"--he will be wishing he stayed quiet a little longer--just kidding--welcome aboard
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike999
    Boy, am I glad I found out about this site. I didn't know there was such an active online golf community in Ottawa.

Welcome Mikey I am not sure of your definition of 'active' but those of us who are in this place alot, definitely aren't active cauuse were sitting on our 'dffs' chattin in here Keeps me outta touble (usually)
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    Welcome.. Come and join Indio and the gang Sept 30th.
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Welcome Mike. And what a community it is . I sometimes find it hard to believe there is an internet golf community this large and active in a city the size of Ottawa. Believe me, you'll never be short of people to play golf with...
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Mike999
    thats great. I am sure to try and play with some of you soon. I have a friend who also just got into it, and we always play together. So in other news, I just sold one of my bicycles, and have 600 bucks burning a hole in my pocket. I think its time for an upgrade-a-rino

thats great. I am sure to try and play with some of you soon. I have a friend who also just got into it, and we always play together. So in other news, I just sold one of my bicycles, and have 600 bucks burning a hole in my pocket. I think its time for an upgrade-a-rino

Mikey, Mikey, Mikey...... Never mind the upgrades! You are young, you need to invest in your future, Real Estate they say

Now it just so happens I have some land for sale in the Everglades. Interestingly enough, I was looking at divesting myself of it for about $300 an acre and I happen to have 2 acres.

PM me wth interest

3 Wood lastplace is on a distinguished road
    Welcome Mike. You will have a great time playing with these guys (and gals). A real fun time with people who just love to play this extremely frustrating and humbling game we love.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Welcome to the gang Mike. Although I am 400 miles from Ottawa everyone here made me feel right at home when I joined the forum last year.
    You will find a wealth of solid information here.
    You will find a BIG PILE OF BS here too ("RICHARD")
    Enjoy the game, enjoy the forum.
    Oh yeah since you are from the same town as Geoff I am pretty sure you will be a CLUB HO within 12 months
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum
    Welcome to the gang Mike. Although I am 400 miles from Ottawa everyone here made me feel right at home when I joined the forum last year.
    You will find a wealth of solid information here.
    You will find a BIG PILE OF BS here too ("RICHARD")
    Enjoy the game, enjoy the forum.
    Oh yeah since you are from the same town as Geoff I am pretty sure you will be a CLUB HO within 12 months
    GB, I try not to convert others, that way there is more stuff for me.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    Good Point Geoff, never thought of it that way. But now I am a NON HO and I am feeling good about it! Down to one spare driver, one spare set of irons! Plus a Hybrid I never use!

Still out hoing me. I have one of everything right now.

Still out hoing me. I have one of everything right now.
    Then how can I be out hoing you? You have one of everything, I only have 3? BTW some of the guys were staring at my YES today

I meant I only have one of everything (that is currently in my bag). No extras kicking around the house at the moment. Kind of feels lonely.

New signature AGAIN and now new clubs.....hmm, your bag hasn't been set all year! We played together a week between games and you didn't have the same clubs! What 'HO'

I meant I only have one of everything (that is currently in my bag). No extras kicking around the house at the moment. Kind of feels lonely.
    OMG you must be going through withdrawal pains Hang in there buddy, if I can quit smoking after 35 years you can quit hoing too It really is simple, just resist the temptations, the sudden urges to buy clubs you really do not need. Stay away from places that sell used clubs cheap. Stay away from other Club Ho's and you will be fine! Just email me if you feel the urge to fall off the wagon, I am here for you

The sig is a joke!

Mike999
    hehe, sure is handy having somebody who buys/sells a lot live near by. I just got myself a set of Cleveland Launcher LP irons. I got TM rac's put on hold for me by my brother yesterday, but when I went in today to actually pick them up, they were ladies clubs.....oh well. I played a quick round at amberwood on them before hitting the range at all, and by the end of the round I was really comfortable with them. I couldnt ever hit a 4 iron before, but I was hitting it clean tonight!

Thread Information