100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road

Committee Definitions

Rule 33 says that the committee has no power to waive a rule of golf. The RB definitions indicate that roads that are artificially surfaced are obstructions, so roads that are NOT artificially surfaced are NOT obstructions. Brilliant, eh?

Running parallel to the 17th at Mississippi GC is a path that is used by the workers vehicles. It is just a dirt path, not used by golf power carts or the golfers as it is well left of the "fairway," but reachable if one hits a shot far enough that way.

Does the local committee have the power to declare this dirt path an obstruction (immoveable) even though the path does not fall under the definition of obstruction?

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    No

However they may make a Local Rule "Providing relief of the type afforded under Rule 24-2b from roads and paths not having artificial surfaces and/or sides, if they could unfairly affect play."

RulesNut Gary Hill is on a distinguished road Gary Hill's Avatar
    The Committee may declare the area ground under repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hill
    The Committee may declare the area ground under repair.
    That thought went through my mind, however, if the club has no intention of repairing the area, and they don't, then then are lying if they do declare it GUR.

RulesNut Gary Hill is on a distinguished road Gary Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    if the club has no intention of repairing the area, and they don't, then then are lying if they do declare it GUR.
    You are confusing the "the club" and "the Committee".

The Committee need not get into the mind of the Greenkeeper as to his future intentions.

If the area is unfit for play, the Committee may declare it ground under repair.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Then the term should be rephrased to "Ground Unfit for Play" no?

"Ground unfit for play" would not be appropriate as the phrase does not appear in the rules. "Abnormal Ground Condition" does and its definition includes GUR.
    The relevant sections of the Rules are 33-8b, Appendix I part A para 1
    But more specifically, App I part A 4c(ii) addresses the situation exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by AAA
    "Ground unfit for play" would not be appropriate as the phrase does not appear in the rules. "Abnormal Ground Condition" does and its definition includes GUR.
    The relevant sections of the Rules are 33-8b, Appendix I part A para 1
    But more specifically, App I part A 4c(ii) addresses the situation exactly.
    Lest we get carried away here, the area in question is NOT unfit for play. It is just a narrow area of "rough" that has been used for the maintenace vehicles to travel to other parts of the course and is now, mostly bare ground. It is the same as having a flat, but bare lie in the "fairway." If it was rutted or gouged out, it would be unfit for play, but it is not. Of course, I suppose it is a little subjective as to what unfit for play, is.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    At least you have a "Committee" to make some rulings.
    My course is holding their Club C this weekend. Our Mens Committee is not running it, the course management is.
    Now this area had a lot of rain two weeks ago and there are some spots in the fairways that the turf went dead due to a fungus of some sort caused by all the water. (I have it in one spot in my back yard too)
    Now I am not playing CLUB C due to personal reasons. However yesterday I played with two guys who are. We discussed some of those areas where there is no grass in the middle of fairways and wondered if Management would be out early this morning to paint white lines around them, to deem them GUR.
    One guy talked to our manager and he was told "No way, you play it where it lies"
    Now how nice is that? Some of those areas are actually roped off to keep carts out of there, and yet it will not be deemed GUR? In fact some of the areas have had the turf split open by the super to try to get the roots some air. Imagine hitting a perfect drive, dead centre of the fairway and ending up in that mess?
    I somehow think there might be some ticked off guys this morning
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    Lest we get carried away here, the area in question is NOT unfit for play. It is just a narrow area of "rough" that has been used for the maintenace vehicles to travel to other parts of the course and is now, mostly bare ground. It is the same as having a flat, but bare lie in the "fairway." If it was rutted or gouged out, it would be unfit for play, but it is not. Of course, I suppose it is a little subjective as to what unfit for play, is.
    In that case I would suggest there is nothing abnormal about it (although I can't see it ) as there are many courses that have that sort of area. It cannot be declared to be an obstruction because it does not fit the definition in the Rules. But the committee can declare virtually any thing GUR at their discretion.

Thread Information