CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    1 Iron Tanglegrip is on a distinguished road Tanglegrip's Avatar

UK Trip - Should I try for the Old Course?

Have a business trip coming up to London and plan on taking a few extra days vacation when I'm there. This will be my second trip and will be spending some time at museums & pubs. (I'm supposed to meet up with a buddy who used to live in London and we're both history buffs. Have been to the Imperial War Museum and hope to get to a couple of the other aviation museums, and of course many pubs).

Should I try to get up to St. Andrews and try to get on the Old Course, or one of the others in the area? From those who have done it, how hard is it to get a tee time as a single? (My buddy doesn't have the knack for golf). I'm down to a 13.1 HCP (using the OG site) but don't belong to a club, will it be a problem getting on courses?

What courses are a must play if I can get a tee time?

Thanks for any info from those who have been there.

Caddy larry is on a distinguished road larry's Avatar
    I have never played there but from articles I have read you need a letter of introduction from your club pro providing your handicap and attesting to the fact that you know to conduct yourself on a golf course. If they agree to let you play, you go to the starter and get on the spare list and hope they can slot you in. You may or may not get to play. Or they may let you out late in the afternoon but probably not in time to play all 18 holes.

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    If not the old atleast play some of the others around there. Play something at St. Andrews for sure.

3 Wood Maverick is on a distinguished road
    You can always book the St Andrews Experience and sleep in their 5 star hotel, will only cost your 2,500 US$ per person including 1 round at the Old and 1 at other courses, that's cheap!! Maybe when I win the lottery I will do that..

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Try Turnberry or Royal Troon if you going that far, you may have more of a chance of getting on.
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanglegrip
    Have a business trip coming up to London and plan on taking a few extra days vacation when I'm there. This will be my second trip and will be spending some time at museums & pubs. (I'm supposed to meet up with a buddy who used to live in London and we're both history buffs. Have been to the Imperial War Museum and hope to get to a couple of the other aviation museums, and of course many pubs).

Should I try to get up to St. Andrews and try to get on the Old Course, or one of the others in the area? From those who have done it, how hard is it to get a tee time as a single? (My buddy doesn't have the knack for golf). I'm down to a 13.1 HCP (using the OG site) but don't belong to a club, will it be a problem getting on courses?

What courses are a must play if I can get a tee time?

Thanks for any info from those who have been there.
    Unfortunately you need an official RCGA, USGA, or R & A handicap card or certificate attested with a handicap of 24 or less in order to play the Old Course. If you can manage that it's fairly easy to get on as a single, especially in the spring or fall. You just show up to the starter's hut first thing in the AM and they'll put your name on the list. Then they'll hook you up with the first available 2 or 3-some.

The other courses (New, Jubilee, Eden, and Strathtyrum) are all wonderful courses as well, and don't require a certified handicap to play. The New course is a treat because it is a beautiful example of "modern" golf (the course is over 100 years old) and you can see where Old Tom Morris has influenced many of today's big name course designers.

If you don't get to play the Old course and you're there over a weekend, you can walk the course on Sundays. The course is actually owned by the citizens of St Andrews and it's designated for use as a public park on that day every week.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

1 Iron Tanglegrip is on a distinguished road Tanglegrip's Avatar
    LobWedge, thanks for the info. Looks like it won't be the Old Course, guess that I'll have to look into the OVGA public player program to see if I can get a certified handicap for next time (if there is one).

It's great to know that they turn it into a park on Sunday, what a great idea for the people in town and for the visitors. I'll look into the other courses you mentioned as well provided I get up to St. Andrews.

Wilster, will look into Turnberry & Royal Troon as well and see if I can't manage at least one round at a course on the British Open rotation. Thanks for mentioning the courses.

Maverick, let's see $2500 USD = $2,808CAD = 37 rounds at Eagle Creek = 155 rounds at Mountain Creek (using my RM discount card of course - weekend rate quoted). While playing the Old Course would be priceless I think that I'll get an official handicap and just put my name in for the daily draw if there is a next time that I'm in the UK

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Easyjet is an excellent and very cheap way of getting up to Edinburgh or Glasgow depending which courses you aim for (or to get anywhere else in Europe for that matter). It's a long, tedious drive from London.

http://www.easyjet.com/splash.asp?lang=en

Thread Information