CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road

Club Head Refinish

I know I have had this on a thread before. However I have had a couple of members inquire about doing this so I thought I would just post it again. Copy it and save it and you'll be good to go in the future!

I am taking business away from myself, but that's ok. I would prefer to save members money.

Think of the colours you could use to PIMP your driver I know Geoff has that
    PINK SHAFT in his driver, I can forsee a PINK CLUBHEAD.

PAINTING CLUB HEADS
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    1. Mask off any areas of the club that will not be painted. I use 3M masking tape (Cause I get it free from work!) and a small sharp exacto knife to get the lines along the club face exact to the original paint job.<o:p></o:p>
    Also tape off the ferule and part way up the shaft so no paint overspray gets on those areas.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    2. Now if you have access to a sand blaster then great, I use the one at work (Thank You Mr Ford <o:p></o:p>
    However you can also sand off the old paint, in your case if the mark is too the metal you have to sand the entire area of that clubhead down to the metal. Use 200 grit to remove the paint, then go over it again with 400 grit. That way you will not see any sanding lines once you repaint it.<o:p></o:p>
    3. Wipe off the club head with a clean cloth to remove any dust. Be careful not to touch it with your fingers as human oiland paint do not mix!<o:p></o:p>
    4. Use a quality automotive prime spray paint and lightly dust the clubhead. This is not for rust protection, this is allows the paint to adhere better.<o:p></o:p>
    5. Now use a quality auotmotive spray paint, (you decide which colour, hey pimp it and paint it bright yellow or red !! ) Lightly coat the club head with the paint. Then allow it to dry. Paint it again, with a light coat of paint. By now if should have enough paint to cover it properly. Allow it to dry, then check to make sure it is properly coated with paint.<o:p></o:p>
    6. Use a quality automotive air dry clear coat to put the finish on the clubhead. Again, lightly spray it, this prevents sags. Let it dry. Do it once more, let it dry. You will know if you have enough clear coat on as it will have a nice glossy finish once it is dry. If it looks dull then you need to apply one more coat of clear coat.

7. After allowing the clubhead to dry overnight you can remove the tape. Now you should have a nice looking club head, the dummy mark is gone!
    That's all there is too it. Use Air Dry paints, good quality paint produces a better job.<o:p></o:p>
    I have painted club heads at work using the cup guns which use air to spray, and then baked them. I have done club heads at home using paint from Canadian Tire, and they looked fine too. <o:p></o:p>
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Got My Card zoic is on a distinguished road zoic's Avatar
    Being so connected to the automotive industry (like I was for years) I am surprised you did not use the new two color hologram paint, the stuff that is greenish from one angle and purplish from another type. It is only about $30 an ounce, so a small item like that would not be outrageous in price, like say a car would be.
    [COLOR=DarkRed]"Friends don't let friends use Internet Explorer"

[/COLOR]Kevin

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    I have to jump in here with a story about my Dad. About 20 years ago my Dad wanted a custom paint job on his driver. He owns a number of autobody repair shops in the Maritimes so he has his painter prep it (mask it off, sand it down, prime it etc.) and when it's ready for paint he tells him he want it candy apple red and hands him a bag of glass dust that he got from the Dept. of Highways (they spread this on the yellow lines on the road when they paint them so that they sparkle at night). So the painter paints the driver, sprinkles on the glass dust, applies 3 coats of clear coat, wet sands it smooth and finishes it off with 2 more coats of clear.

AMAZING - it sparkles in the sun like funky finger nail polish. I know that he still has it, I'll try to get a pic for all to see.

Caddy knickers is on a distinguished road knickers's Avatar
    Golfbum you are the man, I'm going to give it a try this weekend, thinking I'll go black for the sonartec. Damn thing snaped of the shaft and skidded across the cart path at the canadian, but oh well gives me an excuse to go shaft shopping and try this painting thing out.Thanks again for the quick reply.

Mark

"Richard"
    Hmmm, this is a wicked idea. I have a yellow shaft, black winn wrap grip... What color should I paint the head? I want to get a sick sick color. Something fancy, exotic, maybe that metalic two tone paint mentioned above... Also, I don't have access to any of the stuff mentioned above..l anyone want to mess around with my driver head??? I don't care if you ruin it

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    go for the bumble bee look...black and yellow stripes

"Richard"
    I've always wondered why tour pros don't paint their driver heads... do some fancy air brushing or something. That would be sick, tiger could do the tiger stripes.

"Richard"
    I'm not handy at all but if its something you think I can do... I'll give it a try Just curious, how much would you charge for something like this? Most likely I would get one white, one orange and one green stripe (the flag of india) on my driver head...

Quote Originally Posted by zoic
    Being so connected to the automotive industry (like I was for years) I am surprised you did not use the new two color hologram paint, the stuff that is greenish from one angle and purplish from another type. It is only about $30 an ounce, so a small item like that would not be outrageous in price, like say a car would be.
    I would use it if we had it in our plant.
    However we do not, nor will we.
    That paint is brought in to a dealership if a Mustang needs repainting. I was told by the body shop manager at the local Ford dealer, it comes from Detroit, the car is painted and the paint goes back to Detroit. At least that is how it was a couple of years ago.
    I have seen Zambonis painted with it, so it is available. Somehow I doubt a customer would want to spend that kind of money repainting his/her driver head. Afterall the reason it is being repainted is because there was a sky mark on it to begin with. Would you risk spending $70-90 to repaint a head and put another mark on it?

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    I've always wondered why tour pros don't paint their driver heads... do some fancy air brushing or something. That would be sick, tiger could do the tiger stripes.

I would guess that it's got something to do with sponsorships - they have to use the clubs as it is.

I'm not handy at all but if its something you think I can do... I'll give it a try Just curious, how much would you charge for something like this? Most likely I would get one white, one orange and one green stripe (the flag of india) on my driver head...
    Pretty easy to do that "Richard"
    Tape off part of the head, paint one colour, let it dry
    Tape off that painted colour, paint another colour, let it dry.
    Tape off the two painted areas, paint your third colour, let it dry
    Wet sand all 3 colours lightly to remove any ridges in the paint caused by taping. Let it dry, wipe it clean and clear coat it twice
    You are done.
    No charge for the Advice

"Richard"
    what does "wet sand mean"

what does "wet sand mean"
    Oh Sorry, I should have explained that. I just thought it was common knowledge what "wet sand" meant

You buy specific sand paper, usually it is black in colour and it is good for wet sanding. Any good hardware store will know what you are asking for.

Then you wet the sandpaper and the clubhead and lightly sand.

That is wet sanding. I hope you did not stand out in the rain, figuring you had to be wet when you did the sanding on the clubhead Although I can somehow picture you doing that

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar

Hydro Dripping

Very impressed by this. Sick

https://youtu.be/M7urVqB92So
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Medalist cleek is on a distinguished road
    Very cool

Thread Information