100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: my swing

Driver overswing is on a distinguished road overswing's Avatar

my swing

May 13, 2007. new videos posted

NEWEST VIDEO POSTED BELOW. - April 9, 2007. comments appreciated!

THESE ONES ARE OLD, BUT VIEW THEM IF YOU'D LIKE. LOOKING FOR FEEDBACK ON THE NEW ONE DOWN BELOW.
    THANKS.
    today on the course my buddy brought out his video camera to shoot some vid's of our swings and i fugured i'd post em on here for critique and bashing, haha. the first one is on hole # 6, 390 yard dog-leg, par 4 in which i hit driver to about 135 yards out (255 or so), where i started it out just left of the tree's you see on the right and then it had a nice draw back to the middle. a very solid shot:

http://media.putfile.com/driver-swing

video #2 is on hole 16, a par 3 of 147 yards, in which i took a 9 iron off the tee up to the front right of the green. the wind was slightly right to left, and i was playing a big draw as i usually do with short irons, hence my foot alignment in the video.

http://media.putfile.com/short-iron-swing

i know that by no means do i have a great swing, but im comfortable with it, and it seems to work quite well. i would appreciate all the help i could get. thanks a lot.

3 Wood mcnorth is on a distinguished road mcnorth's Avatar
    Fine
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/FONT]

swing video

played at golf-o-max today with some friends. had a blast. a little winter rust but heres my swing. club is 7 iron.

http://media.putfile.com/7iron-swing

FYI im 14 years old, driver speed 102mph, 5 iron speed 88mph. handicap is 8.9

any feedback would be appreciated.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Little dark hoss!!

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Little dark hoss!!

yeah sorry bout that

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I rather enjoyed watching that video after I realized that you could manually slide the controller nearly frame by frame through the entire swing sequence. Here are a few things that I noticed, for what it's worth. On the plus side it appears that your alignment is quite good; you generate good club head speed, and your follow thourgh is very nice indeed. I could be wrong, but here are a few things that concerned me. The club seems to be taken back too fast and there is a considerable dip during your downswing. This is especially noticeable with respect to your head position. If I'm right about this, then it means that your spine angle changes considerably between the address postion and the position at contact. You may be able to pull this off, but when I experience that kind of variance, my ability to consistently hit the ball accurately is impaired. Keep swinging and keep having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    I rather enjoyed watching that video after I realized that you could manually slide the controller nearly frame by frame through the entire swing sequence. Here are a few things that I noticed, for what it's worth. On the plus side it appears that your alignment is quite good; you generate good club head speed, and your follow thourgh is very nice indeed. I could be wrong, but here are a few things that concerned me. The club seems to be taken back too fast and there is a considerable dip during your downswing. This is especially noticeable with respect to your head position. If I'm right about this, then it means that your spine angle changes considerably between the address postion and the position at contact. You may be able to pull this off, but when I experience that kind of variance, my ability to consistently hit the ball accurately is impaired. Keep swinging and keep having fun.

thanks for the post.
    i really do need to work on consistency. seems my swing relies heavily on timing, and luckily i have good hand-eye conrdination, so most days i strike it quite well, however once in a whilei have a day when my timing is off and everything falls apaort and takes a few days to come back, which is VERY frustrating. i feel i just need to simplify my swing.
    thanks, and any more responses would be appreciated.

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    Not bad dude.. I would def. work on keeping the upper body quieter.. esp. your head...
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Birdie golfin-buddy is on a distinguished road golfin-buddy's Avatar
    If you really want to get rid of that head movenment(dipping) take a look at your right knee on the backswing. If you keep that firm and bent just like at address you won't have as much head movement. The head movement is the effect, not the cause. Everything starts from the ground up!

Pm me if you have any questions.

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    Looks pretty good. Like some others said too much upper body movement and you come out of your posture/spine angle on the back swing. But you seem to bring it back together pretty good on the follow through.
    I don't have an ulcer - I am just a carrier.

I just looked at the short iron swing. Subject to the big disclaimer that I don't profess any deep knowledge of the swing, here are some thoughts, for what they are worth.

1. The club is pulled back too far inside the target line.
    2. In the early part of the backswing when your arms are parallel to the ground, your wrists should be cocked. Have a look at good swing sequences on the PGA or LPGA tours and you'll see what I mean.
    3. In the remaining sequences to the top of your backswing. you literally pick up the club to set it into position. Your spine angle changes and your right knee straightens out. My guess is that this is happening because your swing is not functioning as a cohesive whole. By this I mean that the arms are moving independently of the body turn. In fact, by the time you've moved the club to parallel (or just a bit past parallel) during your backswing, your hips and back are nearly fully turned. As a result, the only way to "complete" your backswing is to pick up the club since neither your hips nor your back can turn any more. This forces you into a series of unnatural movements aimed at setting the club at the top. The cure for this is something that a good teaching pro can prescribe. For my part, I would work on moving the hands, arms and shoulder back in one piece. Don't worry about the hips, they'll move without you thinking about it. Just remember to keep your right knee flexed.

Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    I just looked at the short iron swing. Subject to the big disclaimer that I don't profess any deep knowledge of the swing, here are some thoughts, for what they are worth.

1. The club is pulled back too far inside the target line.
    2. In the early part of the backswing when your arms are parallel to the ground, your wrists should be cocked. Have a look at good swing sequences on the PGA or LPGA tours and you'll see what I mean.
    3. In the remaining sequences to the top of your backswing. you literally pick up the club to set it into position. Your spine angle changes and your right knee straightens out. My guess is that this is happening because your swing is not functioning as a cohesive whole. By this I mean that the arms are moving independently of the body turn. In fact, by the time you've moved the club to parallel (or just a bit past parallel) during your backswing, your hips and back are nearly fully turned. As a result, the only way to "complete" your backswing is to pick up the club since neither your hips nor your back can turn any more. This forces you into a series of unnatural movements aimed at setting the club at the top. The cure for this is something that a good teaching pro can prescribe. For my part, I would work on moving the hands, arms and shoulder back in one piece. Don't worry about the hips, they'll move without you thinking about it. Just remember to keep your right knee flexed.
    thanks a lot. i think things have changed a lot from that swing (mid-summer), to the current one (new vid), but im sure i still do some similar things, so ill look out for those.

http://media.putfile.com/5iron-swing

heres my new vid. working on a more controlled backswing, and not overswinging on the follow through. still have to work on keeping my head still though.
    im pleased with the results.
    what do you think? any/all comments appreciated.

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    I think that 5 iron swing is much better, it looks a lot tighter and the leg work is very good. Also your right wrist is staying set longer. I wish I could watch it frame by frame. Much better in my opinion than the first 2 swings.

I agree that it is much better. Here are a few observations, keeping in mind that you would be much better served having someone who really knows about such things speak to them, that may be of use to you:

1. The right knee seems to straighten and drift to the right a bit. If this is happening, then this sway would have the effect of moving you out of position such that the chances of returning to your starting position, at least for purposes of striking the ball consistently, would be impaired.

2. The hands seem to initiate the backswing independent of the arms and shoulders. This is difficult to see without being able to see the action frame by frame, but if I'm right, then this again could be a cause of inconsistency. Theories in this regard may conflict, but I confess to my attachment to a swing theory that sees the club start back with a the shoulders, arm and hands moving in unison, with the shoulders beginning the action. The point is, that if they move back as one, it is much more likely that you will be able to repeat an identical swing with greater ease.

3. Jack Nicklaus liked to cock his head a bit to the right when addressing the ball. This effectively put his head in a position that allowed the shoulders to make their full turn on the backswing without crashing into his head. You might want to try a subtle shift of the head to the right when addressing the ball.

That's it for this rookie, save to say that your action appears to be much better than the earlier video. Oh yes, I meant to add that I am more than a little envious of your flexibility. Good luck with your game.

Pitching Wedge lngdrvcantputt is on a distinguished road
    3. Jack Nicklaus liked to cock his head a bit to the right when addressing the ball. This effectively put his head in a position that allowed the shoulders to make their full turn on the backswing without crashing into his head. You might want to try a subtle shift of the head to the right when addressing the ball.

great call on that, i personnally emphasize slight head cock at the beginning of the swing, for exact reasons you mentioned allows the shoulders to move freely with your head staying still, and making sure im behind the ball the whole time before impact.

7 Wood East Coast Golf is on a distinguished road
    Some of the advice here is good and I am sure will be helpful, but a lesson from your local CPGA pro is a much better idea than random internet help.

JMHO.

Play well,

on that note, just slow it down a bit, keep your right knee flexed on the backwing and square your shoulders a bit at set up.

Do you fade your driver most of the time? Looks like a bit of out to in swing, but not enough to affect the low irons, but I can see your driver going left to right?

Pitching Wedge hoylake is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by overswing View Post
    http://media.putfile.com/5iron-swing

heres my new vid. working on a more controlled backswing, and not overswinging on the follow through. still have to work on keeping my head still though.
    im pleased with the results.
    what do you think? any/all comments appreciated.
    Previously, your right heel came off the ground at the start of the downswing. Your strong leg action coupled with the lack of a right-side anchor had you spinning out of the shot and finishing off balance. Now, your right foot stays down much longer. The legs are working as they should. The finish is beautiful now, perfectly balanced. A huge improvement, congrats.

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    That looks pretty good to me. The backswing is a bit overblown with some weight looking trapped on the right side, but you're flexible enough to get back in and around and seem to find a nice slot through the ball.

You lay the club off early in your swing, but I've seen some pros tdo that too, the single plane guys might have something to say about that. Looks good through impact.

Are you getting all the distance you want? you might want to think about staying a little more balanced at the top so you can really deliver the downswing.

(looked at the driver swing)

Quote Originally Posted by ironmaster15213 View Post
    I wish I could watch it frame by frame.
    Pause it before the backswing and then double click the play arrow. It's a little fussy but it works if you get the hang of it.

here's some new footage from today. not getting very mechanical with my swing, just working on tempo and getting it more controlled.
    http://media.putfile.com/6-iron-swing-back
    http://media.putfile.com/6i-front
    those swing were with a plastic practise ball incase you were wondering.

we dug up a cedar last fall, and theres sand all around it, so i practise bunker shots from it. i got my dad to film me hitting one, so here it is. this one is with a real ball. how's my technique?:
    http://media.putfile.com/bunker-swing

lmk your honest opinions, and any suggestions from these videos.
    thanks,
    Craig

I'd say you've got the right forum handle . but again, you're flexible enough to pull it off. I'd bet you're a bit of a wild driver. I can see it's not perfect but I don't have the expertise to really make any worth while comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Wknd_Warrior View Post
    I'd say you've got the right forum handle . but again, you're flexible enough to pull it off. I'd bet you're a bit of a wild driver. I can see it's not perfect but I don't have the expertise to really make any worth while comments.

explain what your talking about.. ? oh, and i actually hit quite a consistent, controlled fade off the tee...

Your forum handle is "overswing" and you have a long backswing, that's what I was talking about.

I'm thinking you drive a bit (I said a bit) wild because your swing is so long. More to the point, the full shoulder turn combined with a slight reverse pivot and weight shift back. It's recovered well by throwing your weight forward though the ball and should yield a solid ball length wise but looks like it could lend to long full swings that are cranked somewhat off line.

I said I don't have the knowledge to really comment, but sense you asked me to elaborate...that's what I make of it.

I would bet you can be pretty consistent, but I would also wager that your ball flight is more sonsistent then the initial launch direction.

I'm not a great golfer so I don't like to get to technical on forums, so tale me with a grain of salt. If I sound condesending you can bet you're driving better than I am right now. or come to the fun golf day and find out

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Not a bad little swing there. Here is what I see, your shoulders look open in comparison to your feet. This could be the cause of your fade. Also you club looks lad off at the top. Your hands start off behind the ball and your body sways a bit. The last thing I see is your take away looks more arm then a one piece shoulder turn. Looks and sounds like you are getting solid contact but I would work on putting your hands ahead of the ball and alining your shoulders, hips and feet in the same direction. You would see a big difference if you cahnge those two things, IMO and would probably hit down on the ball more. Once you get the setup good to go, work on taking the ball away with a shoulder turn rather than an arm lift. I'm no pro and I have some of the same faults that I still have to work on but when I do it works out great. Good luck.

Thread Information