CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Shagging Balls jbrace is on a distinguished road jbrace's Avatar

Local Rule regarding power lines and poles.

OK, so my course has a local rule that states:

"A ball striking power lines or poles must be replayed, regardless of outcome, with no penalty."

We have a number of holes where power lines run across and parallel to holes between fairways and the local rule has always made sense to me because of this. That is until a recent incident. The left side of hole 15 is all OB and is marked by stakes and lines. On the other side of the OB, there are a few hydro poles running in a general lateral direction of the hole. My question is: Does (or should) the local rule apply to balls that hit these hydro poles/wires, given that these particular poles/wires are not within the confines of the course?

Should we clarify the local rule, or let it stand and leave it up to the (mis)interpretation of the players?

Any thoughts or comments?

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I'd say if the wires are OB, so is the ball.

I personally think that because the poles/wire are not within the confines of the course, how can that local rule apply? This is a hot topic of discussion amongst some of the members right now. Normally (without such a local rule) a ball hitting one of these poles/wire that bounces back inbounds would be considered inbounds and you would play it as it lies, correct? And if it hits and ends up OB, then too bad so sad. IMO, the local rule should be rewritten to apply only to poles and wires within the confines of the course. Keeping in mind the whole intent of the local rule in the first place.

Thanks for your opinion Dan. I'm curious as to what Gary thinks of this...

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    Anything that is OB is of no relevance to the Rules. Treat them as if they were a tree ot flagpole.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AAA
    Anything that is OB is of no relevance to the Rules. Treat them as if they were a tree or flagpole.
    Exactly.

jbrace, I'm gonna take a stab that you're talking about Garrison. Am I right?
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge
    Exactly.

jbrace, I'm gonna take a stab that you're talking about Garrison. Am I right?
    You are correct, sir.

So far that's three people here that agree with me. Anyone not agree and think that the local rule should apply because it does not specify (as I think it should) which poles and wires - i.e. "...laterally between holes 1 and 9; and crossing holes 2, 4, and 5..." or words to that effect.

Golf Nut nice_lag is on a distinguished road
    The poles and wires that you mention on hole #15 are not part of the golf course (they are not through the green). You have made the correct interpretation.

Anyone who has played Base Playdowns or Canadian Forces Regionals should be able to tell you that.
    nice_lag
    Almonte

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Tough one. on one hand, if someone blocks one out to the side, they should not be rewarded for hitting the wires. On the other hand, if a player's ball flight is such that it might have flown back into play, they should not be punished. I would think that if the course wants it played differently than the current local rule states, they should make an addition to the local rules. As it stands, I would argue that a player should be allowed a drop if it the lines.

1 Iron Tanglegrip is on a distinguished road Tanglegrip's Avatar
    From the ROG definitions;
    "The out of bounds line extends vertically upwards and downwards."

I am making an assumption that the local rule only applies to obstructions within the confines of the course itself unless the rule is more specific.

Seems to me that a ball could hit an obstruction that is out of bounds and then land back within the course. No different than if you hit the broad side of a barn that was OB and the ball landed back within the course. Play it as it lies if the ball lands within the course, stroke & distance if it ends up OB provided the ball hit the obstruction outside the course boundaries.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanglegrip
    Seems to me that a ball could hit an obstruction that is out of bounds and then land back within the course. No different than if you hit the broad side of a barn that was OB and the ball landed back within the course. Play it as it lies if the ball lands within the course, stroke & distance if it ends up OB provided the ball hit the obstruction outside the course boundaries.
    I agree with you. You hit something that is OB and it lands in the fairway. Have a good laugh and carry on with your game.

You hit a sprinkler head beside a green and it flies OB... tough luck... reload and carry one.
    nice_lag
    Almonte

Quote Originally Posted by nice_lag
    Anyone who has played Base Playdowns or Canadian Forces Regionals should be able to tell you that.
    I have done both of the above, and honestly never remember it being an issue in playdowns or regionals. Maybe I slept through that part of the rules briefing

Quote Originally Posted by jonf
    On the other hand, if a player's ball flight is such that it might have flown back into play, they should not be punished.
    Just to clarify, if a ball is on such a flight as to strike one of these particular poles/lines (on hole 15), there's no way it would come back inbounds had the pole/wire not been there. Unless it took the freakiest of bounces off some hidden rock in the bushes or something...

I am making an assumption that the local rule only applies to obstructions within the confines of the course itself unless the rule is more specific.
    And herein lies the problem - the local rule is open to assumption. We both assume the same thing, btw.

Does anyone know if there is any documentation stating that rules - be they official or local may only apply within the confines of the golf course, or something to that effect? I've been looking everywhere.

P.S. This is what happens when your course can't afford to hire a CPGA Pro...

The ROG definitions indicate that;
    The "course" is the whole area within any boundaries established by the Committee (see Rule 33-2)."

Rule 33-2 (a) indicates that the Committee must define accurately
    (i) the course and out of bounds,

If OB is accurately defined then the local rule would not apply to the ball striking the power lines that are OB. Seems open and shut to me.

Here's the link for the PDF version.

http://www.randa.org/flash/rules/PDF/RoG2004.pdf

Just thinking that I should send this link to my boss so that he can have it on his Blackberry.

The ROG definitions indicate that;
    The "course" is the whole area within any boundaries established by the Committee (see Rule 33-2)."

Rule 33-2 (a) indicates that the Committee must define accurately
    (i) the course and out of bounds,

If OB is accurately defined then the local rule would not apply to the ball striking the power lines that are OB. Seems open and shut to me.
    Indeed...jbrace, you can take this back to your Club Executive.
    nice_lag
    Almonte

This is all good guys. Thanks for the feedback.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Those poles would not be good for a big fader of the ball! If they are on the left side of the fairway

Reminds me of my old course, on the right side of a par 4 there was a set of train tracks, OB of course. If you were real good you could fade a ball over to the tracks, hit a train car and have the ball bounce back in bounds, maybe!

I know one local course around my area has power lines running across the fairway. If you hit them the local rule allows you to re tee.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum
    I know one local course around my area has power lines running across the fairway. If you hit them the local rule allows you to re tee.
    The RCGA recommended Local Rule requires you to retee.

Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum
    Hammond - par 3, 4th? I hit a beautiful 3-iron there once that hit the wires. I'm sure it was going to be a hole-in-one. The re-hit was not so nice.

Thread Information