100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    1 Iron Tanglegrip is on a distinguished road Tanglegrip's Avatar

Anyone Golfed in Thailand?

Looking at an early winter vacation to SE Asia and wondering if anyone has golfed in Thailand (Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket). Found the Thailand Golf Association website which has lots of info but looking for feedback from anyone who has been there, done that, and bought the T-shirt.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanglegrip
    Looking at an early winter vacation to SE Asia and wondering if anyone has golfed in Thailand (Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket). Found the Thailand Golf Association website which has lots of info but looking for feedback from anyone who has been there, done that, and bought the T-shirt.
    all 3 places. you will think you are in heaven each person has 3 cadies, one 2 carry the clubs, one to carry your umbrella for the sun or rain, one carrying a small chair for you while you wait for your next shot and one to chase down your golf ball and dive in the water to get it if it goes in one foursome has 20 people travelling in a pack. All young girls that cost about 1 baht each (100 baht = $22 when I was there I think) The place I remember is th Rose Garden
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

If you do go to Thailand, remember 2 things..... ANYTHING is legal and you have to visit Chang Mai near the Vietnam border

Tanglegrip, I am not sure that once you get there you are going to want to golf.... believe me, that is one beautiful country albeit it backwards and seemingly unruley! It is the best trip I ever made in my life. Anything goes so you have to be very careful and you want to be very careful about what you eat . If they offer you some 'North Amrican' food be ware, especially if they offer mayonaise Live and learn Mind you the Thai food is awesome Lemon Grass soup yumm yumm. The Chang Main Flea Market is mile upon mile of deal after deal. Yes, even golf equipment. Hand made leather golf cart bags for about $15 US. They just love the yankee $ over there ! Lots of great bed and breakfast places that are inexpensive.
    We stayed mostly in thatched huts in the jungle, it was an awesome trip, nothing arranged in advance, flew around the country on Thai airlines for next to nothing. They treat Canucks like royalty, so make sure you have your maple leafe lapen pin and bring lots of others, they are as good as money as well. (I took a bag of 250 over with me and they lasted about a week!)

You will not regret going there bud!

Thanks Indio, really looking forward to it. Want to travel around the country a bit and will look up Chang Mai and area in the Lonely Planet guide my buddy lent me. Love Thai food but I hear that they like it very hot so will be careful.

Would you suggest I take my own clubs or just rent? I have my old set of Wilsons (4 years old) that I kept when I bought my R7's a couple of weeks ago. Figure that my own golf shoes are my only must take item, plus lots of $$/ATM card.

Baggage shouldn't be a problem as I would be travelling light with one other bag (probably backpack) and as an airline employee they usually cut me a bit of slack.

Good idea about the Maple Leaf pins.

I guess the golf bag is entirely up to you but I personally wouldn't. The few clubs we played had high quality rentals (Taylormade at the time). I have sent a note to my brother to find out the name of the 'resort' that we stayed at in the middle of the jungle while we were there. It was incredible. $10 per person per night, we ate unbelievable 7 course thai meals on picnic tables outside being served by staff on a ratio of 3 staff per guest

Money is not a big problem unless it has changed significantly. Our cdn $ is worth about 20 or 25 of their Bahts. When you go to an ATM nd ask for $200 cdn, you get about a 10 inch thick wad of bills! LOL If you are a smoker, take your own because what they sell over their will knock a buzzard off a wagon at 50 paces Don't worry about most Thai food, worry about what they claim is north american except for McDonalds and the likes in Bangkok. Oh ya, and do not eat the little seafood things they sell on the street corners from BBQ's..... they are scorpions (appaently good eating but not to my taste!) and yes, when you order a drink in any bar, you will have heard correctly what they ask if you wnt with that beer.... it is very legal and a way of life over there.... while you are drinking at the bar in open public.....

I see that the CAD is now worth about 33.30 Thai Baht, I suddenly feel very rich indeed. Since I'm 50, single and from the west I'm sure that I will be a hansum man in any of the bars! Not really into the bar scene but there is a need to rehydrate after a strenuous 18 holes of golf I'm sure.

Not into eating scorpions, spiders, or some of the other more esoteric culinary delights I've heard about so I'll be careful at the food vendors. Love seafood but will try to make sure of what I'm eating (and that it is suitably dead). Doesn't have to be cooked as I can handle sushi as well but it can't still be wiggling.

Will be glad to get the name of the resort from you. Did you make it up to the Bridge on the River Kwai area?

In the Zone psniddy is on a distinguished road
    I have been to thailand a few times and I have never even thought about golf. Anyone who knows me will tell you that takes alot. It is a crazy place that you can,t even begin to explain. Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by psniddy
    I have been to thailand a few times and I have never even thought about golf. Anyone who knows me will tell you that takes alot. It is a crazy place that you can,t even begin to explain. Have fun.
    I'm with you on that one. If I ever go back there again, golf will be the furthest thing from my mind It is the most awesome month I ever spent on vacation. NEVER a dull moment

Sorry bud, my brother couldn't remember the naame of the place we stayed in the jungle but it was right at the Thai, Vietnam and Cambodian border...... we listened to US attack copters going into Cambodia all night long, then return in the morning!

6 Iron hhk is on a distinguished road
    I was there with my wife last March. I golfed three times, once near Bangkok, another time in Chiang Mai and a third time near Pattaya. It is a wonderful place but I think Indio exagerates a bit or was indulging in some of the local hallucinogens .

The skinny:

- it is super hot and humid. None of the locals are insane enough to golf in 40 degree weather but there are plenty of Koreans, Japanese and Canadians who do it. Drink lots and lots of water and play slow.

- we only had one caddy each round and the charge was more like $20. Half of that was tip. The caddies are wonderful. They love to laugh and bet on their players. My wife is not the best golfer and when she made a bad shot, the caddies would giggle. It was not annoying at all and they don't mean offense. They just like to have fun and they are laughing with you, not at you. Tip generously.

- apres golf food was fantastic at all three courses.

- green fees were in the $50 range.

- labour is cheaper than machinery so you see about 10 people on each hole, tending the grounds. They all smile at you.

- learn some of the local language and be respectful and the locals will love you.

- the night markets are crazy. Cheap goods, hustle and bustle. The vendors in Bangkok are aggressive and a bit rude but in Chiang Mai they were friendly and good natured.

- Chiang Mai has changed a lot in the last 10 years. It's no longer a rural mountain town. It is a big city with big name, 5 star hotels. It is still beautiful though. We preferred it to Bangkok. Spend as little time as possible in Bangkok.

- hire a local driver. He will be at your beck and call 24 hours a day and will serve as guide and driver. I can give you some names/numbers if you want.

- watch out for the tuk-tuk drivers. You have to try them once but negotiate a price before you get on and give them a destination. They are always on the scam. They will try to get you to stop at a tailor, massage parlor, etc. Just say no.

- Get a Thai massage whenever you can. Like every day. This is the legitimate type of Thai massage. The practitioners are trained in Buddhist temples. It's like yoga without any effort. They bend and twist and push and you leave totally relaxed and limber. Cost can vary from $1 to $5.

- Get some custom shirts or suit made. Ask your hotel concierge for a recommendation.

http://www.royalchiangmai.com/
    http://www.laemchabanggolf.com/
    http://asiatours.net/golf/thailand/c..._golfclub.html

Of the three, Laem Chabang stood out. It's a Nicklaus design. Fantastic course.

Have fun, I'm jealous.

[quote=hhk]I was there with my wife last March. I golfed three times, once near Bangkok, another time in Chiang Mai and a third time near Pattaya. It is a wonderful place but I think Indio exagerates a bit or was indulging in some of the local hallucinogens .

HHK, I was there in the Mid 90's so obviously, much has changed since then because Chaiang Mai was a piss ass little town which had a million tok tok's and no big buildings but a 24 hour Flea Market that went on forever.

I agree with you on bangkok, it has to be visited, but gawed don,t stay there! LOL

Pitching Wedge francois is on a distinguished road
    [quote=hhk]I was there with my wife last March. I golfed three times, once near Bangkok, another time in Chiang Mai and a third time near Pattaya. It is a wonderful place but I think Indio exagerates a bit or was indulging in some of the local hallucinogens .

- hire a local driver. He will be at your beck and call 24 hours a day and will serve as guide and driver. I can give you some names/numbers if you want.

Hello,

My wife and I are going for a three-week vacation next DEcember and were intending to spend a week in Chiang Mai. Would you have names of drivers to recommend? Also, we plan to play some golf just south of Bangkok near Hua Hin. Have you heard of it and do you know how good(bad) the golf is there?

Thanks for your help

Francois

[quote=Indio]
    Quote Originally Posted by hhk
    I was there with my wife last March. I golfed three times, once near Bangkok, another time in Chiang Mai and a third time near Pattaya. It is a wonderful place but I think Indio exagerates a bit or was indulging in some of the local hallucinogens .

HHK, I was there in the Mid 90's so obviously, much has changed since then because Chaiang Mai was a piss ass little town which had a million tok tok's and no big buildings but a 24 hour Flea Market that went on forever.

I agree with you on bangkok, it has to be visited, but gawed don,t stay there! LOL
    I figured you were there a long time ago. I wish I had gone back then - when the elephant as the preferrred method of transport. Apparently, you have to go all the way to Chiang Rai now to get away from the tourists. Then you run into the crazy Karen tribe and take your life into your hands.

[quote=francois]

Hello,

My wife and I are going for a three-week vacation next DEcember and were intending to spend a week in Chiang Mai. Would you have names of drivers to recommend? Also, we plan to play some golf just south of Bangkok near Hua Hin. Have you heard of it and do you know how good(bad) the golf is there?

Thanks for your help

Francois
    I will ask my wife for the phone number and get back to you. The driver we had in Chiang Mai was fantastic. His English was impeccable which, apparently, makes him one of the elite guides in the country.

I never made it to Hua Hin. I have heard of it. I think it's pretty touristy but don't worry. The worst tourist trap is Pattaya and we had a great time there. You just have to know how to avoid the scum and avert your eyes when you see 60 year old English sleazebags with 18 year old Thai women.

The ladyboys aren't even that dangerous if you adopt the right attitude. That is - laugh, joke, don't take them seriously. Don't act superior and show respect for their culture.

Championship Cup Eldred is on a distinguished road Eldred's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Indio
    If you do go to Thailand, remember 2 things..... ANYTHING is legal and you have to visit Chang Mai near the Vietnam border
    I was raised in Chiang Mai and moved here with my folks at 10.
    Chaing Mai at the North and is bordered to Burma and Laos. Vietname is at the eastern part of Thailand... just a little fyi.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldred
    Chaing Mai at the North and is bordered to Burma and Laos. Vietname is at the eastern part of Thailand... just a little fyi.

LOL, what do I know, I flunked Canadia History The guide told us that we were close to Vietnam, who am I to argue, just a lowly tourist

Quote Originally Posted by Eldred
    When I was there, I was offered a local delicacy - roasted ant larvae. Is it a real local dish or were they pulling one over on the dumb Canadian?

When I was there, I was offered a local delicacy - roasted ant larvae. Is it a real local dish or were they pulling one over on the dumb Canadian?
    Wow, it has been awhile since I've had one of those.. jk

It has better nutritional value than poutine

Thanks everyone, some very good tips and I'll read through the links. I'm really looking forward to the trip this winter. I've heard about the tuk-tuk mafia in Phuket, will watch out for it elsewhere as well.

I figure that I have to see Bangkok but don't plan on staying there long. My co-worker & his wife went last year, (Hong Kong to see her relatives, Thailand, and Vietnam) and said that the air pollution in Bangkok was just incredible but they loved the shopping & markets.

I've been to Japan in August so I've seen some of the heat & humidity although I hear Thailand can be even hotter. I figure maybe beer would better quench my thirst than water but then the caddies may have to carry me off the course!

For the golf I'm going to try to get out in the morning before it gets really cooking. I've been looking through the Thai Golf Association website and it looks like there's plenty of good courses to choose from.

http://www.tga.or.th/main.php?page=26&NewsID=186

What I like is that they also give a report on whether there's very many insects or not! Wish Eagle Creek did a similar report, especially early in the season. BTW Stonebridge insect report today - very few!

Don't know if I'll get up to Chiang Mai or not, I like a somewhat unstructured vacation and will often go where the mood strikes so it may get on the itinerary once I'm in country.

I've been reading about the country for a while and I'm pretty laid back when on vacation so I should be ready for some "sanuk" when I play. I'll see if I can't win my caddy some money. Caddy fees seem to be in the 200 - 250 baht range (under $8.00 CAD) so it shouldn't be stretch to tip big.

Promise to get some pics and will post them, the trip is planned for mid-November through early December.

Quote Originally Posted by Indio
    LOL, what do I know, I flunked Canadia History The guide told us that we were close to Vietnam, who am I to argue, just a lowly tourist
    Sounded like you had nice time though... As in any other places, sometimes the taxi drivers are the default ambassadors.

Thanks everyone, some very good tips and I'll read through the links. I'm really looking forward to the trip this winter. I've heard about the tuk-tuk mafia in Phuket, will watch out for it elsewhere as well.

I figure that I have to see Bangkok but don't plan on staying there long. My co-worker & his wife went last year, (Hong Kong to see her relatives, Thailand, and Vietnam) and said that the air pollution in Bangkok was just incredible but they loved the shopping & markets.

I've been to Japan in August so I've seen some of the heat & humidity although I hear Thailand can be even hotter. I figure maybe beer would better quench my thirst than water but then the caddies may have to carry me off the course!

For the golf I'm going to try to get out in the morning before it gets really cooking. I've been looking through the Thai Golf Association website and it looks like there's plenty of good courses to choose from.

http://www.tga.or.th/main.php?page=26&NewsID=186

What I like is that they also give a report on whether there's very many insects or not! Wish Eagle Creek did a similar report, especially early in the season. BTW Stonebridge insect report today - very few!

Don't know if I'll get up to Chiang Mai or not, I like a somewhat unstructured vacation and will often go where the mood strikes so it may get on the itinerary once I'm in country.

I've been reading about the country for a while and I'm pretty laid back when on vacation so I should be ready for some "sanuk" when I play. I'll see if I can't win my caddy some money. Caddy fees seem to be in the 200 - 250 baht range (under $8.00 CAD) so it shouldn't be stretch to tip big.

Promise to get some pics and will post them, the trip is planned for mid-November through early December.
    Have a nice trip, hope to see pics later.
    Bangkok is financial, entertainment, goverment city. Imagine combining Ottawa, Toronto and Montreal into one with population of New York city (stretching, but you've got an idea). If you have a chance, visit any public school in the moringing where there are daily mass assembly in the courtyard, students would line up and do school songs, anational anthem, prayer etc. At least that how I remembered back then

5 Wood Thom Panikorn is on a distinguished road

I am Thai

How long are you going there for? And how many games are you planning to play? If you are planning to play at "resort" or "fancy" courses you don't need to bring your clubs. The rental clubs in those courses are very good quality. It costs around $30 Cdn. But if you play at smalltown courses you won't find good rentals. That's why I brought my set of 690mb with me last year and left them there for my next trip. I go back regularly and played a few times there. I played Pinehurst in Bangkok where Tiger played in the Johnny Walker Classic a few years back (As you may have known, Tiger's mom is Thai). I also played in Hua Hin, about 2 hours South of Bangkok. Hua Hin is a great place for holiday. There are a few great golf courses there. It's bit pricey though ($30-60) for Thailand. There is also a weekly tourney for "visitors" to join. It was run by a group of expats from Scandinevian countries residing there. They move from course to course around the area. I played with them once.
    I played mostly in the Northeast where I grew up though and it costed me less than $30 for green fees, caddy fees and rental clubs. I think when you travel that far you want "different" experience. You can play beautiful courses here in Canada any time but you won't have caddy and "real" food on the course. Or you won't have a sixsome that played a 4hr round. Or someone dives after your ball 5 second after it landed in the water and he would come up and sell it back to you on the next hole!
    I lived in Chiang Mai for three years when i went to university there. That's before I discovered golf. Golfing is still a "rich" person sport in Thailand. Most caddies don't play and most of them don't know the rule. You and your playing partner set the rule and tell them.
    If any thing esle you want to know about Thailand, i will be happy to help.

TP

Hi Thom, thanks for the reply. I'm planning about 3 1/2 weeks in Thailand excluding travel time from Ottawa from early Nov to the first week in Dec. I'll be on airline ZED fares (standby) so taking a set of clubs shouldn't be a problem and I kept my 4 year old Wilson clubs & carry bag when I bought my R7's last month.

I would like to golf about every second day, if possible in the early morning giving me the afternoon and evening to see the sights, shop, and sample the food! Figure with the heat that I'll only be able to golf every second day, rest & recuperate the next.

I don't have any must see sites although I would like to see the Royal Palace and some of the major wats. Also looking at getting down to Phuket at some point for 1 week for some beach time (and golf). Can easily put Pinehurst in Bangkok and Hua Hin on the itinerary, especially if there's good golf courses. Usually play Loch March, Stonebridge, Emerald Links, Eagle Creek priced course once on the weekend and try to get anouther round in at Mountain Creek (can't beat the price with my RM membership), Greensmere, Pakenham priced course as well.

Just plan on spending a couple days in Bangkok to see the major sites then I'm open to suggestions. I'll probably stay away from the large resorts, been there and done that in Mexico and the Dominican Republic and while nice it's a bit sterile if you never leave the resort. Looking at getting out and seeing more of the destination this trip.

Are there any "must play" courses in your opinion? Any "must see", "must do" activities?

I have been to Japan twice on business and once for a short vacation and was fascinated with the different culture and I'm sure that Thailand will be different again. Any suggestions on places to see, and any tips on activities to do besides golf, or parts of the country that I should see would be appreciated.

5 Wood Thom Panikorn is on a distinguished road

The "musts" in Thailand

Hi Tanglegrip,

After doing some thinking and talking to some Canadians who either live or travel to Thailand, here are the results: In Bangkok, you should see the Grand Palace and the temple of Dawn(just on the other side of the river). Take a river cruise up to Ayuthaya(our old kingdom). Normally you will spend the night on the cruise and tour Ayuthaya during the day and come back to Bangkok by bus. Then you have to go to the Chatucak weekend market. Make sure you get there around 11am and stay a couple of hours. You don't have to buy anything just go there to watch. And by evening you should go up Bayan Trees building on South Sathorn Rd, near the Austalian embassy, for a drink on top of the building.
    And if you still have time for golf, the only must play in Bangkok is the Airforce golf club.The holes are between runways. You can see the course if you land during the day. The course, i heard, is OK coures, a little short but it's the one and only.If you slice or hook a lot, bring a lot of balls because you can't walk to other runway and play it. As for Pinehurst, i don't think it's that special. You can try the Alpine golf and country club if you can get in. And if you tee off a little late, get the Thai massage to loosen up your muscle before the round.
    Make sure you get the traditional massage. Normally it takes about an hour.
    And in Phuket, you want to play the Blue Lagoon and spend the rest of your time on the beaches.
    If you like Thai food, you won't want to come back!

TP

If you have 3.5 weeks in Thailand, I would definitely try to get up north. Go right up to Chiang Rai. Take an guided elephant trek through the mountains. The weather is cooler up there, the scenery much more beautiful than around Bangkok and the people very friendly. There is all sorts of fantastic golf.

Are you into fishing? There is some truly fantastic fishing in the Mekong River. We're talking about giant catfish, carp and snakehead. Man-sized and bigger. Truly freaky stuff in the the rivers there. I meant to do it but ran out of time.

Also, there is River Kwai. If you're a history or movie buff, this could be interesting. Another spot I intended to visit.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spackler
    Ay yi yi....
    LOL this thread is the first thing I thought of when I saw the news on CNN

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    Wow! I almost went to Thailand years ago but ended up somewhere else. You have given me the thirst to go now. Maybe next year

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    You may need a gun in your bag Check the news
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Thread Information