West Vancouver , BC | Stanley Thompson | 1937
    8. Jasper Park Lodge Golf Course
    Jasper , AB | Stanley Thompson | 1925
    9. Shaughnessy Golf and Country Club
    Vancouver , BC | A.V. Macan | 1961
    10. The Links at Crowbush Cove
    Morell , PE | Thomas McBroom | 2000

Dave

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Hmmmm. EC the only one from the Ottawa area to make the cut, and I can't believe that Cataraqui in Kingston is rated higher.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Shagging Balls jbrace is on a distinguished road jbrace's Avatar
    Really pleased to finally see Timber Ridge on the list. Even if it's near the bottom (95). And I would have to agree with you LobWedge - Cataraqui is way overrated and has been for some time.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrace
    Really pleased to finally see Timber Ridge on the list.
    Me too - great course, but I'm surprised Marshes is not on the list.

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    Good top 10.. Had the privilage of playing the paintbrush last year and its awsome.. Shot 78 too..
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Argh...this is killing me. Three courses from Victoria in the top 50. Two of them are ridiculously private, and the other one is ridiculously far/expensive.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Can't say im surprised that Marshes isn't on the list, that course really isn't anything special. The thing that hurts that course too is that it's surrounded by houses and buildings. EC is ten times the course that the Marshes is. Crowbush at 10 is also completely ridiculous in my opinion, other than a few nice views i'd take the Creek over it anytime!

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    EC is ten times the course that the Marshes is. Crowbush at 10 is also completely ridiculous in my opinion, other than a few nice views i'd take the Creek over it anytime!
    EC is ten times the course The Marshes is?
    EC is more enjoyable no doubt, but certainly not 10 times what Marshes is, and the price of the green fees reflect that.You would play EC over Crowbush? Too each his own I guess.

Prices of Green fees mean nothing really actually. The management of that particular course sets them and that's that. The Marshes really isn't that great of a golf course in my opinion that's all. Eagle Creek is incredible and tests all aspects of your game, lots of risk reward but at the same time it's fair and difficult at the same time. Of course they are both conditioned beautifully but at the Creek your surrounded by nature and every hole is a new adventure. I would take it over Crowbush anytime.

Prices of Green fees mean nothing really actually.The management of that particular course sets them and that's that.
    I'm aware of who sets the prices of the green fees, but to say they mean nothing is not true. They are set at the highest rate the market will bear for any course, but there's a reason why the green fees at EC are more than twice that of Pineview. Location also plays a role but let's face it, better courses cost more to play.
    Having said that, at $75 EC is one of the best values going.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons
    EC is ten times the course The Marshes is?
    EC is more enjoyable no doubt, but certainly not 10 times what Marshes is, and the price of the green fees reflect that.
    Must .... resist ..... being .... drawn ..... into ...... EC vs Marshes ...... debate.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    EC is a wonderful course and by far my fav in the region BUT courses like it are a dime a dozen.....how many Oceanside courses are there in Canada? I think this is one of the main factors that contributes to why Crowbush is ranked so highly.

You never actually say what you don't like about Crowbush John and I'd be interested in hearing what it is that you don't like, as well as how many rounds you've played there......

I'm a native Islander so I'll have to stand up and represent on this one

I've only played one round at Crowbush and it was this summer after playing Eagles Glenn on the island. For 120 dollars or whatever it is i just don't think the course was worth it. The conditions were good yes but i guess it's just personal preferences that for me weren't there. I found the course very very boring, lots of silly shots needed to be played and it just didn't do anything for me. I didn't get that "feeling" that you get when your on a special track like Eagle's Glenn or Eagle Creek. Yeah the views are spectacular and it was awesome playing golf along the ocean but the course was sub par in my opinion design and playability wise.

Shivas i will definitely agree with you that EC at 75 is one of the best values if not the best in the region. I guess i just really don't like golfing on courses lined with houses and buildings ala Stonebridge as well.

I'd love to hear what you have to say Jvincent!

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent
    Must .... resist ..... being .... drawn ..... into ...... EC vs Marshes ...... debate.
    Resistance is futile...you will be assimilated

9 Iron pheenster is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf
    Argh...this is killing me. Three courses from Victoria in the top 50. Two of them are ridiculously private, and the other one is ridiculously far/expensive.
    They're all free on Christmas Day. I played (most of) the Victoria Golf Club on Christmas morning a couple of years ago. I've played Colwood twice thanks to a small in I have there, and Bear Mtn. once (agreed, crazy expensive). I think you can actually pay to play at Colwood if they have tee times available which the members don't want; $125 a round or something like that.

I've only played one round at Crowbush and it was this summer after playing Eagles Glenn on the island...
    That is all you have to say John I agree with you 110% that Eagles Glenn is the superior course to Crowbush (unless you are the type of person who loves to hit a 260 yard drive straight down the middle only to find that it is lying in a hidden pot bunker that you couldn't see from the tee).

That said, it has to be the fact that it is a true Links style course that makes it stand out on the Canadian top 100 list.

And just to clarify, when I said EC is dime a dozen course I meant in STYLE only. There are a lot of woodland courses with water on them around......the key here is that EC is the very best of this style of course that I've had a chance to play.

Just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in.

It is reasonably well known here that I do not like the Marshes for a number of reasons.

1. Carts only. A pox on any designer that agrees to do this.

2. Boring layout.
    2a. I really don't like the 6/6/6 setup.
    2b. The long par 5's force you to play them as 3-shot holes, so there is no risk/reward option.
    2c. With the exception of #7 the par 4's are simply uninteresting. #18 is just a long, straight, boring par 4. Or short par 5 if you prefer.
    2d. The par 3s are equally uninteresting.

3. "But John what about the "dreaded" second hole!?!?!? It's so long and tough." Yeah, BFD. I play a natural draw and can hit driver, 5W, iron onto that green 9/10 times unless I'm being a spaz.

4. I see enough of Terry's office buildings every day going to/from work thank you. I don't want to see them when I'm golfing.

I have always said that the Marshes is a very well conditioned golf course and the service is excellent. However, if I'm going to spend my money on golf, I'm taking it somewhere else.

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    I've only played one round at Crowbush and it was this summer after playing Eagles Glenn on the island. For 120 dollars or whatever it is i just don't think the course was worth it. The conditions were good yes but i guess it's just personal preferences that for me weren't there. I found the course very very boring, lots of silly shots needed to be played and it just didn't do anything for me. I didn't get that "feeling" that you get when your on a special track like Eagle's Glenn or Eagle Creek.
    "Silly shots" at Crowbush? I didn't play it this year on my yearly pilgrimage back home to PEI, but I've been going through the holes in my head and the only hole/shot I think could be called silly is the very short uphill par-3 17th. Aside from that, I'd say that Crowbush is every bit the course Eagle Creek is and then some... plus, it has some incredible views that Eagle Creek has basically none of.

For me, there's no question Crowbush is a better course than Eagle Creek. Is it a better value... maybe, maybe not. Does it deserve to be #10 while EC is #75? I can't say because I've only played a few of the courses on the list.

MJF

Hey mjf - have you played Eagles Glenn or Anderson's Creek? These are some up and coming courses in my opinion and I'd love to hear someone elses take on them..........oh to be still living on the Island

Ok... I do like The Marshes although I think it's a tad overpriced so I normally only play it once or twice a year. So, let me play devil's advocate and see if I can counter your arguments:

1. Carts only. A pox on any designer that agrees to do this.
    As you know, I also prefer to walk. Every once in a while though, particularly when I fork out over $100, I don't mind pampering myself with a cart.

2. Boring layout.
    I disagree. It's not a perfect layout, but I wouldn't call it boring. Let's explore further below...

2a. I really don't like the 6/6/6 setup.
    It is certainly unique in the area. I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with that combination of holes as long as they are good holes.

2b. The long par 5's force you to play them as 3-shot holes, so there is no risk/reward option.
    Maybe you should play off the red tees?

Seriously... #2 is definitely unreachable, I don't think anyone can question that. I've been very close to #4 in 2 with a good 3-wood second shot. #9 IS absolutely reachable. #10... not realistically reachable. #14 is reachable (definition of risk/reward I'd say). #16... not really reachable either. So 3 of the par-5's are reachable.

I'd also argue that the risk/reward option is there on the other 3 holes as well. Do you lay up with your 2nd shot to a 'safe' yardage or bring it in closer to the green and leave yourself a 40-50 yard pitch but with more of a possibility of ending up in a bad spot (water)?

2c. With the exception of #7 the par 4's are simply uninteresting. #18 is just a long, straight, boring par 4. Or short par 5 if you prefer.
    Well... there's only 6 of them. They can't all be interesting!

#1 is pretty boring, but it's a nice hole to warm up on before hitting your tee shot on #2. #6 & #7 are good holes. You don't like #11? A drivable par 4? That's a pretty good risk/reward hole as well. I quite like #13 if for no other reason than it's a 'pretty' hole. #18... yeah, it's boring but you can't say it's not challenging!

2d. The par 3s are equally uninteresting.
    #3 & #6 are decent. #8 and #12 are nice. #15 is ok. I think #17 is a really good hole with all the runoff area around the raised green.

3. "But John what about the "dreaded" second hole!?!?!? It's so long and tough." Yeah, BFD. I play a natural draw and can hit driver, 5W, iron onto that green 9/10 times unless I'm being a spaz.
    I agree. I don't think I've ever really had a problem with #2. However, I generally draw the ball as well. I haven't played it this year since I've started hitting the occasional high 50-yard slice with the big stick!

4. I see enough of Terry's office buildings every day going to/from work thank you. I don't want to see them when I'm golfing.
    Can't really argue with that!

I have always said that the Marshes is a very well conditioned golf course and the service is excellent. However, if I'm going to spend my money on golf, I'm taking it somewhere else.
    I think the fact that it is so well conditioned gives it a boost in my rating system. It's so rare that I get to play a course in perfect condition. Nearly every time I've played at the Marshes it has been pristine. I think it also helps that the first time I played the course I shot a 75 from the blue tees!

MJF

PS. We can discuss this ad-nauseum during our round tomorrow afternoon!

Quote Originally Posted by mjf

... writes a bunch of nonsense about how the Marshes is good ......
    Careful or I'll have to smack you upside the head.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pheenster
    They're all free on Christmas Day. I played (most of) the Victoria Golf Club on Christmas morning a couple of years ago. I've played Colwood twice thanks to a small in I have there, and Bear Mtn. once (agreed, crazy expensive). I think you can actually pay to play at Colwood if they have tee times available which the members don't want; $125 a round or something like that.

Are you serious? I've been coming home for Christmas. I may have to stay out there one of these years just to take advantage of that. A free round at Victoria or Bear Mountain. Cripes, I'll start at 8 am and play both. I'll just have to break the news to the folks I guesss.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker
    Hey mjf - have you played Eagles Glenn or Anderson's Creek? These are some up and coming courses in my opinion and I'd love to hear someone elses take on them..........oh to be still living on the Island
    Of the 3 PEI courses that I've played (Crowbush, Dundarave, & Eagles Glenn) EG was my favourite. A wonderful challenge with lots of variations in angles and elevation, and the 9th hole is a real BIATCH from the tips. That course could easily host an elite event.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker
    I've played Eagles Glenn once (2 years ago?) and Anderson's Creek twice (once last year, once this year).

I really liked Eagles Glenn although I remember there were a few spots on the course where the conditions weren't perfect. Overall though, an excellent course. My review may be biased though, I played extremely well that day.

I had a bad experience at Anderson's Creek last year (but played well). I wasn't impressed with the course conditions and particularly with the staff at the course. We had an issue with the marshall and several times were interfered with by the maintenance staff. We complained to the manager and got free rounds that we used this year. Everything was fine this year.

I'd recommend either of the courses for anyone visiting PEI although cost might be an issue for some.

MJF

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    We complained to the manager and got free rounds that we used this year. Everything was fine this year
    If they compensated you with a free round I'd say the service you recieved was above and beyond standard. Not all courses would do that. Your review should have a more posative tone IMHO.

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    I've played 11 of these courses (#7, 14, 30, 32, 34, 37, 40, 61, 69, 75, 96) and of those the relative rankings are generally OK although I would say #32 Predator Rodge should be higher than either #14 Banff Springs or #30 Deerhurst and #61 Big Sky is way better than #37 Nicklaus North.

6 Iron hhk is on a distinguished road
    Glen Abbey at #13, 7 places higher than Red Tail tells you a bit about the validity of this list.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    If they compensated you with a free round I'd say the service you recieved was above and beyond standard. Not all courses would do that. Your review should have a more posative tone IMHO.
    Given the experience I had the first time around, my review DID have a positive tone. I can provide full details if you like. In any case, when I played Anderson's Creek this year I enjoyed the experience... excluding the 8 I took on the last hole.

Please note that I did recommend both courses in the final line of my post.

MJF

9 Iron pheenster is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf
    Are you serious? I've been coming home for Christmas. I may have to stay out there one of these years just to take advantage of that. A free round at Victoria or Bear Mountain. Cripes, I'll start at 8 am and play both. I'll just have to break the news to the folks I guesss.
    You have to get out there really early on Christmas Day. We teed off before we could really see where the balls were going to land. It gets really busy really fast, and because its unofficial - you just show up and play - you get families of 10 golfing together and stuff like that.

Not actually sure if Bear Mountain allows it or not. Because of their location they could actually stop people if they wanted to. Now that they call themselves a resort with that huge hotel, they may actually be open for business on Xmas.

Thread Information