100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar

Question "If I only had my clubs..."

I was thinking about this today as I was driving on an impromptu road trip down towards Lake Placid on the way through Malone.

What is the best "golf" trip you've ever been on where you couldn't bring your clubs because a) your weren't going to be there long enough, b) you were injured, c) your spouse said something like "if you even think of asking I'll never speak to you again..." (I've been tempted a few times to test the boundaries of this one ), or some other reason?

Most recently was a vacation to Punta Cana, D.R. (Punta Cana Golf Club, P.B. Dye. Casa de Campo - Teeth of the Dog, Pete Dye). We were meeting up with family down there and I was the only golfer, ergo "no time" (according to my wife)...
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Went to SanDiego / Anaheim with the family unit for Xmas and didn't bring the clubs. It would have been nice to play Torrey Pines again and there are a TON of nice courses between SD and Anaheim.

Got My Card zoic is on a distinguished road zoic's Avatar
    WOW, I was going to post the same thing, San Diego 2 years ago in June, business trip. Only thing is I could not accept going to socal and not playing, so I hooked up with some of the Linspire executives for their Friday morning exercise event, and played at Torrey Pines, with a rented set of clubs. Was a blast, even without my own sticks.
    [COLOR=DarkRed]"Friends don't let friends use Internet Explorer"

[/COLOR]Kevin

1 Iron Tanglegrip is on a distinguished road Tanglegrip's Avatar
    Japan last year, co-worker & I were over on business and had discussed the possibility of getting a round in as we had the one weekend free in Osaka (even brought my golf shoes). Ottawa - Tokyo - Nagoya - Osaka - Ottawa in 6 days, brutal.

My co-worker's wife accompanied us so I can't complain that we didn't get out golfing, there was so much else to see and do, plus it was 35C with a humidex of probably 45. Really glad that she came along actually, it was a blast.

Took my golf shoes with me to the DR a couple of years ago and played Punta Cana. Looking forward to Teeth of the Dog if I get back there.

"Richard"
    I don't understand why people even bother playing without their clubs. I couldnt do it. I mean, if you know you are playing, take your clubs with you. whats the big deal? doesn't cost anything to bring them with you

I would not bring my clubs unless I am driving, I have had the gorilla destroy 2 suit cases with Air Canada so far, not risking my clubs to those animals, even in a carry case, which would be another cost to travelling the clubs. It is like a car rental, just clubs instead, I mean they only golf clubs for crying out loud.

[/COLOR]Kevin

"Richard"
    I see where you are coming from but its not just golf clubs, its your golf clubs. YOu feel comfortable with them and would most likely play better with them. The cost of rentals (twice) is more than the cost of a travel case. Other than that, it saves you money in the long run and most likely strokes as well

I can appreciate your point, and were it a golf holiday, I would have made the arrangements accordingly. This was a business trip, and hooking with the execs ensured it was all paid for anyway, hehehe.

[/COLOR]Kevin

"Richard"
    in that case, forget your bag, balls and tees and home to

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    I don't understand why people even bother playing without their clubs. I couldnt do it.

--

I see where you are coming from but its not just golf clubs, its your golf clubs. YOu feel comfortable with them and would most likely play better with them.
    I always assumed this until I got lazy and stopped bringing my clubs to the course in the evening ... I just grab a 1/2 set of rentals from the back (1-3w, 3-5-7-9i, putter) and head out. The shafts are the wrong length & flex, and the heads have an offset that is different from my usual set, but I can score pretty much exactly the same with them (except the short game since there are no wedges) ... The only glarring differences are in the distance of the driver vs. my usual driver (which is much longer), and the putter (which is incredibly light .. maybe 280g!)

That being said, I have never not taken my clubs with me when travelling
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

Shagging Balls jbrace is on a distinguished road jbrace's Avatar
    In 2001, my wife and I went to Hawaii for a week and I left my clubs at home. Mostly because it was going to be soooo expensive to play, but also a little of LobWedge's answer "C". This was before I introduced her to golf, so she did not understand at them time but I have since converted her. The good part about the trip is that we just happened to be in Honolulu during the Sony Open, so I dragged her to watch the final round and she actually enjoyed it!

Thread Information