+ Reply to Thread
    Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar

Drop in the tee box.

Speculation, please!

The play-by-play for Fred Couples on the PGA Scoreboard site shows this:

Play by Play for the Par 4, 480 yards 18th Hole

Shot 1
    Shot 2 Penalty
    Drop in tee box
    Shot 3 234 yds, 223 yds to hole
    What would cause a "Drop in tee box"?

Or do they simply mean re-tee, as in a ball OB?

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkshooter
    Speculation, please!

The play-by-play for Fred Couples on the PGA Scoreboard site shows this:

What would cause a "Drop in tee box"?

Or do they simply mean re-tee, as in a ball OB?

Don't say that, I have Freddy in the Fantasy Golf Pool this week
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    He might have hit into a hazard and the only spot for him to drop was back on the tee.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

That makes sense, however, wouldn't you also have the option of re-teeing and hitting 3, then?

Quote Originally Posted by Indio
    Don't say that, I have Freddy in the Fantasy Golf Pool this week
    Sorry. That double hurt.

"Richard"
    He hit OB and re-teed

It would be hard to hit into a hazard that didn't have any options other than to re-tee. Maybe he took an unplayable

Quote Originally Posted by sharkshooter
    That makes sense, however, wouldn't you also have the option of re-teeing and hitting 3, then?
    I don't think so. He didn't hit it OB, but in a hazard. Therefore it most likely works like a drop area. I am no rules guru so I'm sure someone will either concur with what I said or show me the error of my ways.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    He hit OB and re-teed

It would be hard to hit into a hazard that didn't have any options other than to re-tee. Maybe he took an unplayable
    Check out the 18th at the Player's Championship. Lots of water left. If you put your tee shot in there no option but to move a few yards up on the tee box and hit from there.

"Richard"
    hmmm, I guess its possible. maybe re-teeing is considered dropping in this case? Also, if you get to hit from as close to possible to the previous shot but it was a tee shot... can you use a tee again? If so, can you use a tee if your shot was from the fairway? I would like to see a rule that says you can re-tee if its a tee shot and not if its a fairway shot... cause if you can't find me one, next time I hit one into a hazard I'm going to re-tee it in the fairway and use my driver and go for the green

I already know the answer but would liek to see the rule, I gave it a quick look and can't find anything

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    hmmm, I guess its possible. maybe re-teeing is considered dropping in this case? Also, if you get to hit from as close to possible to the previous shot but it was a tee shot... can you use a tee again? If so, can you use a tee if your shot was from the fairway? I would like to see a rule that says you can re-tee if its a tee shot and not if its a fairway shot... cause if you can't find me one, next time I hit one into a hazard I'm going to re-tee it in the fairway and use my driver and go for the green

I already know the answer but would liek to see the rule, I gave it a quick look and can't find anything

Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

That's why its called a drop. You "drop" the ball. You don't re-tee it. So no, re-teeing in the fwy after putting your ball in a hazard is not allowed. No, I don't know the rule, but you are not allowed to do it. Geez man!

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Just try that one in a match!

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I'll play Gary for a second.

There is no such thing as a "tee box". There is a "teeing ground", as defined below.

Teeing Ground
    The “teeing ground’’ is the starting place for the hole to be played. It is a rectangular area two club-lengths in depth, the front and the sides of which are defined by the outside limits of two tee-markers. A ball is outside the teeing ground when all of it lies outside the teeing ground.

The piece of the course that is referred to as the "tee box" is through the green and can be dropped on if the line on which you are allowed to drop goes through the tee box.

For situations involving a playing another stroke under penalty, you are allowed to re-tee if the original stroke was played from a tee within the teeing ground. I think the play-by-play has probably just simplified things by saying "drop".

Thanks Gary, er, jvincent. Forgot that part, teeing ground, not tee box.

20-5. Making Next Stroke from Where Previous Stroke Made

When a player elects or is required to make his next stroke from where a previous stroke was made, he must proceed as follows:

(a) On the Teeing Ground: The ball to be played must be played from within the teeing ground. It may be played from anywhere within the teeing ground and it may be teed.
    (b) Through the Green and in a Hazard: The ball to be played must be dropped.
    (c) On the Putting Green: The ball to be played must be placed.

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent
    I'll play Gary for a second.

There is no such thing as a "tee box". There is a "teeing ground", as defined below.

Teeing Ground
    The “teeing ground’’ is the starting place for the hole to be played. It is a rectangular area two club-lengths in depth, the front and the sides of which are defined by the outside limits of two tee-markers. A ball is outside the teeing ground when all of it lies outside the teeing ground.

The piece of the course that is referred to as the "tee box" is through the green and can be dropped on if the line on which you are allowed to drop goes through the tee box.

For situations involving a playing another stroke under penalty, you are allowed to re-tee if the original stroke was played from a tee within the teeing ground. I think the play-by-play has probably just simplified things by saying "drop".
    But say its a very deep tee box (not teeing ground), if the player chooses to move up to the very limit of it he has to drop though. Correct? Because he moved out of the teeing ground. Freddy could've have easily done that.

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent
    ... I think the play-by-play has probably just simplified things by saying "drop".
    That makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    But say its a very deep tee box (not teeing ground), if the player chooses to move up to the very limit of it he has to drop though. Correct? Because he moved out of the teeing ground. Freddy could've have easily done that.
    Correct.

"Richard"
    J, when did you get so smart???

J, when did you get so smart???
    Born that way man.

1dash1
    Rule 26-1 is the applicable rule for taking relief from the water hazard. In part, it says:

"If a ball is in or is lost in a water hazard (whether the ball lies in water or not), the player may under penalty of one stroke: a. Play a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5), or
    b. Drop a ball behind the water hazard, keeping the point at which the original ball last crossed the margin of the water hazard directly between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped, with no limit to how far behind the water hazard the ball may be dropped; or
    c. As additional options available only if the ball last crossed the margin of a lateral water hazard, drop a ball outside the water hazard within two club-lengths of and not nearer the hole than (i) the point where the original ball last crossed the margin of the water hazard or (ii) a point on the opposite margin of the water hazard equidistant from the hole."
    In this case, the player most likely proceeded under option "a", what we commonly refer to as the stroke-and-distance option.

Rule 20-5 applies whenever the player proceeds under stroke-and-distance:

"20-5. Playing Next Stroke from Where Previous Stroke Played
    When a player elects or is required to make his next stroke from where a previous stroke was made, he must proceed as follows: (a) On the Teeing Ground: The ball to be played must be played from within the teeing ground. It may be played from anywhere within the teeing ground and it may be teed.
    (b) Through the Green and in a Hazard: The ball to be played must be dropped.
    (c) On the Putting Green: The ball to be played must be placed."
    So, in the case under discussion, the player may re-tee the ball anywhere within the teeing ground, lying "2", the next stroke he plays will be his third.

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    1-1
    Where does the 'drop' come into it. If it was (a) why would he drop when he could place or tee.

1dash1
    Quote Originally Posted by AAA
    1-1
    Where does the 'drop' come into it. If it was (a) why would he drop when he could place or tee.
    AAA:

Under option R. 26-1b, hypothetically, the player could drop his ball in the teeing ground.

Under option R. 26-1a and Rule 20-5, the player could physically "drop" the ball in teeing directly on the ground. It is permissible, but it wouldn't be considered a "drop" in the context of Rule 20-2. (I'll refrain from going into the technical reasons of why this is so.)

As to the play-by-play scoring, you'll have to ask the guy who entered the data or the site that publishes the information. I don't know.

Par Kiwi battler is on a distinguished road
    if he "drops" on the tee block , but forward of the actual teeing ground , yeah .....cant tee it up

it is possible he hit the womens tee marker or some such object , sending the ball high into the sky and embedding into the teeing ground ......teeing ground itself isnt "thru the green" from which no free relief is given , but under 1-4 you do get free relief from an embedded ball on the teeing ground

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar
    -------------------------------------------------
    Play by Play for the Par 4, 480 yards 18th Hole

Shot 1 234 yds to tee box, 223 yds to hole
    Shot 2 Penalty
    Shot 3 320 yds to left intermediate, 142 yds to hole
    Shot 4 134 yds to left fairway, 25 ft to hole
    Shot 5 12 yds to green, 11 ft to hole
    Shot 6 in the hole

--------------------------------------------------

BTW, those PGATour.com play-by-play stats aren't always accurate... By the looks of it though, Freddie drove his ball OB and had to re-load. And duh, you CAN NOT EVER take a drop and use a tee.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Maybe he was hoping for lightning to strike twice. He holed his re-tee for a par on the 17th at Sawgrass in 1999.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Thread Information