100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Loch March

Gap Wedge carnagenames is on a distinguished road

Loch March

Can anyone comment on the state of the greens, i heard they we're doing some work on them the July 30th weekend. Thanks for the info.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    played there this morning. For the most part, the greens are in great shape, though 4-5 seemed to have some markings from when they aerated them, not punches, but some lines in them. It didn't really bother me too much though. Other than that, the course is in peak shape. Played in 4 hours with almost no one on the course.

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    I like Loch March but everytime I've been there, they had punched the greens the week before so I've never been able to experience the course to it's full extent.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    It should be fine now. They top dressed a bunch of greens and did some aerating as well, but it's been almost 2 weeks. The Toro machine that they use to aerate the greens is the coolest thing ever. The lines that jeffc is talking about are made by high pressure "needles" of water that are injected below the surface into the roots to make room for new growth. There's no punching involved at all. Very little impact on the surface compared to the mechanical punch machine that basically writes off the greens for a couple of weeks. These are playable right away.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

1 Iron Tanglegrip is on a distinguished road Tanglegrip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc
    played there this morning. For the most part, the greens are in great shape, though 4-5 seemed to have some markings from when they aerated them, not punches, but some lines in them. It didn't really bother me too much though. Other than that, the course is in peak shape. Played in 4 hours with almost no one on the course.
    Played Loch March today and afraid that I can't agree with your assessment. My buddy who made the booking questioned the staff on the conditions of the greens and they indicated that they had been aerated two weeks ago, there were a few lines on them but otherwise were fine.

IIRC greens 1 through 6 were damaged by their aeration machine, certainly some worse than others but I do not feel that the damage was mostly cosmetic. Putting through the damaged area was not the same as putting on the unaffected areas.

I also found that the fairway in front of at least 3 or 4 of the greens were scalped/very dry and very hard compared to usual Lock March conditions. I also didn't think that the divot maintenance on the fairways was up to usual Lock March standards. In my 4 years of playing the course this is the worst shape I've seen it in.

IMO the course should be discounting their rounds until these greens are repaired.

Gap Wedge carnagenames is on a distinguished road

Thumbs down

Brutal...........A warning for people who are going to shell our $80 to play Loch March in the next week or two. In my Opinion, most of the Greens (8-10) of them we're terrible for loch march standard...the're were lines of sand all the way accross the greens, ball marks, holes and even uneven cups made this otherwise fine course not very satisfying to play. Wouldn't have been so upset about the course had the pro-shop told me about the conditions, which they said we're fine. Even the fairways we're very hard and burnt. All in all I would not recommend playing this course for at least a few weeks, unless they discount the're green fees significantly.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Well...this must be a difference of opinion since I honestly didn't have a major problem with the greens and conditions, nor did my 2 playing partners. Like I said, some were marked and could affect you but I actually didn't find them that hindering, despite the markings but it is possible that they could affect you depending on the pin positions.

5 Iron Rick is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by carnagenames
    Brutal...........A warning for people who are going to shell our $80 to play Loch March in the next week or two. In my Opinion, most of the Greens (8-10) of them we're terrible for loch march standard...the're were lines of sand all the way accross the greens, ball marks, holes and even uneven cups made this otherwise fine course not very satisfying to play. Wouldn't have been so upset about the course had the pro-shop told me about the conditions, which they said we're fine. Even the fairways we're very hard and burnt. All in all I would not recommend playing this course for at least a few weeks, unless they discount the're green fees significantly.
    It would be nice if courses warned you of sub-par conditions before you paid but I've never seen it happen or even heard of it happening. Why would they? They would lose your business if they did. I know it isn't Loch March, but earlier this year I was at the Champlain. I asked how the greens were as I paid. The guy said they were great. I doubt I've ever played worse greens. But he got my money. That's one of the great things about this website. we can warn each other about these things because the courses never will.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Just returned from a game at Loch March today , and i can honestly say the conditions on most of the greens were fine, with the exception of a couple on the front 6 & 8 the rest were pretty good. The fairways were in good shape for most of the course also. I will agree that the course has been in much better shape before , but in all fairness it wasn't that bad today.
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

I guess that it all depends on what you come to expect from a course. I expect the greens at Loch March to rival those of Eagle Creek, often they are firmer and faster (and #'s 9, 16, and 17 are more diabolical).

I expect Eagle's fairways to be slightly better with thicker rough due to the terrain, and Eagle does pour the water to some of their fairways. Both are challenging top end courses for the area.

Point is if you are shelling out close to top dollar for Loch, Stonebridge, or even a bit more for Eagle then you should expect nothing but top value. Likely to try Eagle or Stonebridge next week instead.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    The course needs work ... that's for sure , but with the low traffic it seems to get these days , it sure makes a nice change to play golf with virtually no waiting around.

Excellent point, Sunday's round was a leisurely 4 hours for our group, even let one single play through, and my FCs took their time looking for their balls in the bush more than once . I really do hope that they figure out their new aeration machine soon though, a real shame to see some of the best and quickest greens in the area "look" in such rough shape.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick
    It would be nice if courses warned you of sub-par conditions before you paid but I've never seen it happen or even heard of it happening. Why would they? They would lose your business if they did. I know it isn't Loch March, but earlier this year I was at the Champlain. I asked how the greens were as I paid. The guy said they were great. I doubt I've ever played worse greens. But he got my money. That's one of the great things about this website. we can warn each other about these things because the courses never will.
    It's funny you mention that. I called last Saturday to book a time for the holiday Monday and they told me that the greens and fairways had been aerated recently did I still want to go ahead with the booking. I said that I'd pass this time but that I appreciated being told that in advance. Canadian got my business that day, but Loch March will continue to get my business in the future.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge
    It's funny you mention that. I called last Saturday to book a time for the holiday Monday and they told me that the greens and fairways had been aerated recently did I still want to go ahead with the booking. I said that I'd pass this time but that I appreciated being told that in advance. Canadian got my business that day, but Loch March will continue to get my business in the future.
    Wow. Kudos to Loch March. That's the first I've ever heard of that.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick
    Wow. Kudos to Loch March. That's the first I've ever heard of that.
    I can second that. I called to book that weekend too and they mentioned it...
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

"Richard"
    loch march as always been good to me. I hate showing up to a course only to find that they are running 2 hours behind, or the pace of play has already been set at 6 hours a round and basically deal with it. I mean, why do you ask for my phone number if you arne't going to call me to tell me these things? Now that I'm already there, what am I going to do?

playing there tomorrow (sunday) at 6.44 am... can anyone report on the state of the greens?
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

I played yesterday , and for the most part the greens are ok. There are 2 in particular in bad shape , #6 & 8 , but with the flag placements , the worst of the damage is away from the hole. The greens are fast and true , the only fairway that is in bad shape is the par 5 # 15 , but in general the course is fine.

Thanks fella. I'm guessing with tonight's forcasted showers the fairways won't have as much run... ah well.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Played the course wednesday. While still good compared to most courses, definitely substandard for Loch March. Some greens are badly marked and sandy, and some fairways are pretty beat up. a lot of divot marks. The worst I've seen this course that usually is in perfect shape but it's not like it's unplayable or anything.

Thread Information