CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Difference?

Forum Jedi XTOUR is on a distinguished road XTOUR's Avatar

Difference?

New to golf and was just wondering what the difference is between a closed face and square face head on the driver ?

Scott

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    When you put the club behind the ball a closed driver will point a little left of your target line. A square driver will point directly down your target line. Assuming you are a right handed golfer.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Actually a lefty. While practicing my swing, I noticed that if I kept the face closed at the start and followed through with the swing, the face is square on impact . Just have a wicked push slice and was online looking at the driver I bought and noticed it came in two different faces. Mine being the closed.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    The closed face should help reduce (but not prevent ) your slice.

Hey Jon, you've seen it! Played with Zoic on Sunday and kept it closed and hit my driver 3/5 times pretty straight and on the fairway. I do prefer a square face....is it possibled to change it to square or do I have trade in???

You'd have to trade. No one around here, that I know of, can bend woods. Alas it is an advantage that the pros enjoy over us.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Thanks for info.

Scott

Got My Card zoic is on a distinguished road zoic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XTOUR
    Hey Jon, you've seen it! Played with Zoic on Sunday and kept it closed and hit my driver 3/5 times pretty straight and on the fairway. I do prefer a square face....is it possibled to change it to square or do I have trade in???
    Yeah, actually it think if was 4 times, straight and over 300 yards that is. The longest was about 320. The thing is that you have an unusual setup, and while I can tell you appear to have a clean takeaway and you seem to stay on plane, you swing is so fast I cannot see what you are doing differently from one shot to the next on the downswing and follow through.
    [COLOR=DarkRed]"Friends don't let friends use Internet Explorer"

[/COLOR]Kevin

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    When you put the club behind the ball a closed driver will point a little left of your target line. A square driver will point directly down your target line. Assuming you are a right handed golfer.
    Where the head points also depends on the position of your hands at address. If the hands are in the middle of the body the face will appear more closed than if there was a straight line down your lead arm and the club shaft (hands ahead).

Regardless, none of this means boo as the only position that counts is where your hands are at impact and the face position that acompanies the hand position. If they are behind the ball, as most are, then look out for a hook, but I am asauming a correct, inside path to the ball.

It is possible to have the hands centred at address and hit a good shot with the hands farther ahead. The club face will have to be HOODED to achieve this. HOODED does not mean closed; it's just in a position where the effective loft has been decreased by the hands being farther ahead at impact than they were at address.

All true BC, but he just wanted to know the difference between a closed faced driver and a square faced driver. So all things being equal, with the same player and same set up, the two clubs will appear different at address. I was merely pointing out the difference to him.

Thread Information