100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    "Richard"
    Its pretty simple... you are awarded points based on how high you finnish at a tourney, if the field is strong you get more points (I think)... the majors all have a set number of points going to the winner regardless of the field but they are always strong. Anyway, total points divided by number of events is your points... and wie has finnished in the top 2 way more times than anyone else (per start). The reason she fell so much in the rankings is because a bad showing with such few events... average goes up when you do well and down when you do poorly

Again, I could be wrong and I am talking about mens rankings so it may not be the same but the huge drop would indicate it is

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I read on another site that the women's ranking is now using 35 as its base number(assuming this means 35 events). So even if you haven't played 35 events, your points accumulated will be divided by 35. Hence why Wie fell so far in the rankings. She has only played about 20 events I believe.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Found the link:

http://www.lpga.com/content_1.aspx?pid=7574&mid=4

35 is the new minimun number of events divisor.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer
    I just looked at the rankings. I don't understand how someone with 17 events can be compared to golfers with high 40's and 50's for event numbers. It makes no sense.
    I'm with you EdmontonG......the only thing that makes sence to me is that the more recent events are weighted more heavily than the older events. I believe that it works this way with the Men's rankings as well. Also don't overlook the fact that Majors are weighted very heavily compared to a normal event - despite her immature 16 old ways and not too firm grasp of the rules of golf Ms. Wie has been a freaking machine in the majors (recall the choke thread) and although she hasn't won one, she's been in the top 5 a number of times...

Hacker, read the link I posted. It tells how the rankings work. They use a divisor of 35, so it doesn't matter if you play in 10 events or 60 events over the alotted time period. Your points are divided by 35 (I guess an agreed upon average). Gives, what they believe to be fair, a way to compare new up and coming players to the veterans who have been out there for years.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Interesting......makes Michelle's ranking all the more impressive considering how few events she's played in

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf
    Damn Tiger Woods and his good genes, great home life, and College Scholarships. Damn Wayne Gretzky and his incredible hockey playing ability. Damn Bill Gates and his intelligence.
    and damn jonf for his rebuttal

Lob Wedge runner is on a distinguished road

Three thoughts

1. Stop comparing Wie with Woods; she is not on the same planet.
    2. If she wants to play the big game she need to be a big girl, like all the others; being 16 is no excuse.
    3. Pushy parents have been pushing their kids into impossible situations since time began; not only in sport. A few make it, some rebel, some burn out, some just dont have it. Where will Wie be in 5 years from now?

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    jonf: just to give you a more serious reply

By your theory, anyone who is born into a well educated family and the product of a good home life is lucky
    Correct.

and does not deserve credit for the good things they do .
    This is your theory, not mine.

Anyone who has the opportunity to go to David Leadbetter's Academy is lucky

Correct again.

Don't think that I'm trying to say she isn't lucky. Obviously Michelle Wie is lucky.

Okay, now I'm confused, but I know what you're getting at - Wie hasn't gotten to where she is without putting in a lot of hard work and dedication. However, do you think she would be where she is today if she grew up in, oh, let's say Bright's Grove, ON? Not a chance.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by little brit
    O.K. after reading the article it certainly sounds like after being a caddie for Juli Inkster the caddie is very experienced. It also sounds like if he says something then there will be eruptions. I still maintain my view that a caddy should be a second line defence though. Your analagy with nurses and doctors is a good one I think. Caddies often recommend a different club use and help the pros line up their putts, nurses often catch doctors in errors too, would you really prefer the nurse to say nothing when they see the doctor make a mistake? We are all human and we all make mistakes, but in the end she is still the pro and her word goes. They have to be a team and if she isn't prepared to accept this valueable help with respect then she will have problem.
    Sports reporters and broadcasters may refer to the player/caddie relatioship as a "team", and while there is certainly teamwork involved in a successful relationship, the term is a misnomer. It's actually employer/employee. The player makes the ultimate decision, sometimes based on the advice of the caddie, but it's the player that swings the club and must live with the result of the shot. For a player to let a caddie go based on things like personality conflicts or compatibility issues is one thing, but for a caddie to be fired because the player is looking to place blame for their own mistakes is gutless and irresponsible.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

"Richard"
    To say someone is lucky because there parents worked hard to privide them with a life they couldn't have is crazy. She is lucky because her parents worked hard, made a lot of money? Someone is lucky if they win the lottery, not if they work their ass of from childhood to become the one of the best female golfers in the world

"Richard"
    Why is it that some people reffer to her as a flop because she hasn't won yet but then when she fires her caddy for not winning the same people are saying "well she was having a really good year"

use her record to put her down but use the same record to defend her caddy?

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    not if they work their ass of from childhood to become the one of the best female golfers in the world

When did she become one of the best in the world?
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    When she signed a big endorsement contract.

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Indio
    When did she become one of the best in the world?
    When I started watching LPGA events on TV.
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

"Richard"
    Are you serious?? She has been #2 in ranking since they came out I think.. or maybe she came out at 3. Hadn't finnished less than 5th in any of her starts since turning pro until last week... how is she not one of the best golfers in the world. top 5 in all majors so far... amazing

Fields Open (LPGA) $73,227 3rd

Kraft Nabisco Championship (LPGA) $108,222 T3rd

McDonald's LPGA Championship (LPGA) $57,464 T5th

U.S. Women's Open (LPGA) $156,038 T3rd

HSBC Women's World Match Play Championship (LPGA) $50,000 T5th

Evian Masters (LPGA) $255,333 T2nd

Weetabix Women's British Open (LPGA) $18,059 T26th

To say someone is lucky because there parents worked hard to privide them with a life they couldn't have is crazy.
    Then what would you call it? Fortunate? Got dealt a good hand? Call it what you want, Wie has had advantages others can only dream of.

She is lucky because her parents worked hard, made a lot of money?
    Damn right she is.

"Richard"
    So basically in your world everything comes down to luck. GOod luck, bad luck....

So you don't get into the University of your choice because you are stupid... not a hard worker beacuse your parents never taught you how to apply yourself... sorry thats bad luck. So what do you consider lucky and not lucky?

What if someone for some reason has drive and another does.. one becomes a bumb and then other becomes rich like dan kilbank... is that good luck for the guy who had the drive and bad luck for the guy who didn't have the drive?

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Are you serious?? She has been #2 in ranking since they came out I think.. or maybe she came out at 3. Hadn't finnished less than 5th in any of her starts since turning pro until last week... how is she not one of the best golfers in the world. top 5 in all majors so far... amazing

Fields Open (LPGA) $73,227 3rd

Kraft Nabisco Championship (LPGA) $108,222 T3rd

McDonald's LPGA Championship (LPGA) $57,464 T5th

U.S. Women's Open (LPGA) $156,038 T3rd

HSBC Women's World Match Play Championship (LPGA) $50,000 T5th

Evian Masters (LPGA) $255,333 T2nd

Weetabix Women's British Open (LPGA) $18,059 T26th

...and 0wins! That is the only statistic that counts. Who cares about the money? She sure doesn't. She had no financial worries the day she turned pro and signed those endorsement deals. Like Tiger says "second sucks".
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

So basically in your world everything comes down to luck. GOod luck, bad luck....
    Come on, you know this is not what I'm implying. (Implied, or implode?)

So what do you consider lucky and not lucky?
    You mentioned winning the lottery - this is lucky no doubt.

Paris Hilton - she basically won the lottery by being born into the Hilton family. Lucky for her, because I don't think she has many redeeming qualities.

What if someone for some reason has drive and another does..
    I assume you mean 'does not' (have drive) - I agree with you 100% - drive and determination beats any odds, regardless of your upbringing, education, social status etc.

one becomes a bumb and then other becomes rich like dan kilbank
    who could even dream of becoming rich like dan kilbank!!! I heard that guy lives in a castle with an alligator infested moat, and if you get past the moat, he releases the hounds, and then the bees, and then the hounds with the bees in their mouths, and when they bark, they shoot bees at you. And I thought Paris Hilton was rich! Man, is that Kilbank lucky!!

Well excuse me gentlemen but I do not consider her to be one of the best in the world YET.... She is a very talented golfer that still has to prove herself in my feeble mind.

1 Iron Tanglegrip is on a distinguished road Tanglegrip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Indio
    Well excuse me gentlemen but I do not consider her to be one of the best in the world YET.... She is a very talented golfer that still has to prove herself in my feeble mind.
    Well put. Winning is what's it's all about at the top level of any sport. Very few are recognized as "great" unless then have won their sports premiere competitions. That's what makes Tiger, Jack, Byron and others "great" in the sport of golf.

What I have trouble believing is that someone competing at that level, even if they are "only" 16, has not taken the time to learn the rules. Guess what, some of the rules will even help you and if you don't know them you're losing out.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Excuse me if this sounds a little daft. But what does all of the above talk about luck, privelge etc etc etc have to do with her caddy being fired?

Who know what, it happened, who cares? He is likley better off on someone elses bag anyways.

Good Lord "FLUFF" got fired and he has not gone on SKID ROW since Woods let him go. (You know who Fluff is don't you?)

I do agree, people who use the excuse "She is only 16" had better give that one up. She signed a $10 Million dollar contract with Nike/Sony and whoever else jumped on board. She declared herself a PRO, even though at the time she knew there was no tour that was going to accept her.

Meanhwile right here in CANADA, IN ONTARIO, IN LONDON there is a PROFESSIONAL LADIES GOLF TOURNAMENT GOING ON AND NO ONE SEEMS TO CARE?
    Makes no sense to me. Oh by the way, there happens to be a CANADIAN in contention after the first round of this tournament.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

"Richard"
    Since when do you have to win a golf tourney to be considered one of the top golfers? I remeber last year when tiger had a few less majors.. and I said he was already the best golfer in history. Alot of the forum members said that even if he passed jack it would mean nothing since jack had way more seconds in majors... more than tiger could ever get. So.. why are jacks non wins counted when argueing he is better than tiger but wie non wins not counted when she being discussed as one of the best female golfers? Look at it this way... what is her ranking? what was her ranking?? Who cares if she has a win, she is one of the best female golfers on the planet. If she were to finnish top 3 in every event but never win she would still eventually take over the #1 spot if the rest of the golfers continued to do what they are doing. Its the ratings that determine who the best golfers are, not members on ottawa golf (myself excluded from the statement above ofcourse)

"Richard"
    PS Shivas, I was just playing with you... I actually agree with you. She was very lucky to be born into a family that could do so much for her but everything else she did herself. If she sucked... ledbedder would have told her to get lost

Since when do you have to win a golf tourney to be considered one of the top golfers? I remeber last year when tiger had a few less majors.. and I said he was already the best golfer in history. Alot of the forum members said that even if he passed jack it would mean nothing since jack had way more seconds in majors... more than tiger could ever get. So.. why are jacks non wins counted when argueing he is better than tiger but wie non wins not counted when she being discussed as one of the best female golfers? Look at it this way... what is her ranking? what was her ranking?? Who cares if she has a win, she is one of the best female golfers on the planet. If she were to finnish top 3 in every event but never win she would still eventually take over the #1 spot if the rest of the golfers continued to do what they are doing. Its the ratings that determine who the best golfers are, not members on ottawa golf (myself excluded from the statement above ofcourse)

hey 'Dick' are you saying that because you participate in match play events, haven't won one yet but have finished 2nd several times, you are amog the best golfers in the forum? It matters how many tournaments you win.... I can just see it now if she doesn't win this year. The press will be calling her the Mickelson of the ladies tour....... It is all hype at this point and Nike and Sony are loving it. When she starts winning week in week out, she will have the respect of the golfing world, until she stops her whining, she won't have mine.
    Last edited by Indio; 08-11-2006 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum

Who know what, it happened, who cares? He is likley better off on someone elses bag anyways.
    Re. Wies caddy : The caddie, Greg Johnston, wasn’t happy with the way it was handled. “I was extremely disappointed that no one named Wie gave me the news,” he said.
    Johnston knows what he’s doing, given he had caddied for Julie Inkster for 12 years and was on her bag for wins in four majors

Meanhwile right here in CANADA, IN ONTARIO, IN LONDON there is a PROFESSIONAL LADIES GOLF TOURNAMENT GOING ON AND NO ONE SEEMS TO CARE?

You mean there are professional lady golfers?

Ironically, if Wie was in the field there would be huge interest.

Has anyone else had a look at 'Cate's' August 10th article on the issue at Golf Reporter??? LMAO thats the first time I have seen her say anything negative about Wie.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons
    Re. Wies caddy : The caddie, Greg Johnston, wasn’t happy with the way it was handled. “I was extremely disappointed that no one named Wie gave me the news,” he said.
    Johnston knows what he’s doing, given he had caddied for Julie Inkster for 12 years and was on her bag for wins in four majors

You mean there are professional lady golfers?

Ironically, if Wie was in the field there would be huge interest.
    Ironically no one attending the LPGA event in London, that I talked to even mentioned WIE's name. So apparently it is not such a BIG DEAL that she is not playing in this event.

More poeple were disappointed that Julie Inster pulled out than not having M.Wie show up. So it goes to show that at least in this area the Ladies Golf World does not revolve around Michelle Wie.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Ironically no one attending the LPGA event in London, that I talked to even mentioned WIE's name. So apparently it is not such a BIG DEAL that she is not playing in this event.

More poeple were disappointed that Julie Inster pulled out than not having M.Wie show up. So it goes to show that at least in this area the Ladies Golf World does not revolve around Michelle Wie.
    Tell that to the media...

Thread Information