CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum
    Ironically no one attending the LPGA event in London, that I talked to even mentioned WIE's name. So apparently it is not such a BIG DEAL that she is not playing in this event.

I don't really find that ironic actually - I'm sure everyone there is enjoying the golf, especially with Kane playing so well. However, if Wie had played in the event, we all know the media would be on that like stink on sh*t.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Do you really think the Media hypes her? I mean just because when she 'almost diesd' of heat exhaustion, they only showed about 15 minutes of the closed door to the medical tent and broke away from someone putting to show the ambulance arriving? Really, the Media hypes her? Have I ever mentioned that she still has not become a great golfer in my little mind?
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons
    Then what would you call it? Fortunate? Got dealt a good hand? Call it what you want, Wie has had advantages others can only dream of.

Damn right she is.
    To try to disagree that she is lucky is pointless - of course she is lucky. But you seem to be claiming that because she has been lucky, we should expect more of her than of others. We should expect her to be winning every tournament. We should expect her to be more intelligent in the things she does. Why is it that we should be measuring her by a different standard than others?

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf
    To try to disagree that she is lucky is pointless - of course she is lucky. Why is it that we should be measuring her by a different standard than others?
    I really should have used the term priviledged instead of lucky. What really prompted my original scathing post, was her shrugging off reading the rule book (and I consider myself a wee Wie fan) after being penalized. Too boring. I would have preferred if she lied and said "I guess I better brush up my rules"
    As far as being measured by a different standard - she should be measured against other LPGA players, not other 16 year old girls. She gave up being 16 when she (BJ) decided to turn pro.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    How can anyone play a game for a living without ever taking the time to at least read the rules? Heck if it were my living it would be a top priority to know them well since my living depends on it. A stroke can cost these players tens of thousands of dollars!
    A rules official needs to know it by chapter and verse "Rule 12-4b covers this" but players knowing them "very well" should be mandatory to play as a pro. Could you get by not knowing the rules in any other sport?

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    Could you get by not knowing the rules in any other sport?
    Pro Football players seem to have problems with the Rules of Society....

thou shalt not kill another person
    thou shalt not drink and drive
    thou shalt not drive a motorcycle without a helment and a license
    etc., etc., etc.

"Richard"
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    How can anyone play a game for a living without ever taking the time to at least read the rules? Heck if it were my living it would be a top priority to know them well since my living depends on it. A stroke can cost these players tens of thousands of dollars!
    A rules official needs to know it by chapter and verse "Rule 12-4b covers this" but players knowing them "very well" should be mandatory to play as a pro. Could you get by not knowing the rules in any other sport?
    Dan, I can't think of another sport where there are so many rules and so many different places and ways the rules can be applied. That would be like asking the players to know what is in the new CBA. By the same logic, how can you play a sport and not even know the agreement between your union and the owners inside out? Its a bit much to ask. The rules of hockey are easy, there are only a handful of penatlies the refs can call. You can read the rules book for golf inside out and you will be put in a situation the following day where you still have no clue what to do.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar

Read the rules

She should have complete knowledge of the rules, I mean if she knows the rules she can argue/discuss rulings with officials and sometimes end up getting better decisions. Her approach is immature for a pro player but probably in line with her age. Does he need to run in front of her and look at every possible infraction and then ask if she knows the rule on it? Get a grip. How can the caddy save her if she refuses to immerse herself in her sport. Golf is more than looking pretty and swinging the clubs.

Here is a pointer, get her a caddy who can also help her with her hair, earings and outfits and that would free up time for her to read the rules.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    You can read the rules book for golf inside out and you will be put in a situation the following day where you still have no clue what to do.
    I agree to a point Richard but if you have read the rules you are at the very least capable of discussing a situation with a rules official and even contesting what they are saying to you. When you are confident in what you know you will argue to get your way. Michelle was unable to argue because she did not have the forethought to go ask her caddy or an official about the leaf. If she has not realised that this is the bigtime then she will learn the hard way. When you loose a major by a stroke or two and you look back at a penalty like this and the grief it caused, open the rule book, read it, get opinions on it, know it, love it, be the rule book, sorry Chevy.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

3 Wood Maverick is on a distinguished road
    I know every season in the CFL, some american players have problems with some of the rules, most likely because they did not completly read the difference between american football and canadian football. Pleading non-guilty because "I didn't know" will NEVER cut it, I know, I tried with the cop that pulled me over the other day...

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    All I can say about rules, scorecards etc is this
    Remember Roberto De Vicenzo & Bob Goalby in the 1968 Masters? Roberto knew the rules too. Cost him a Green Jacket. "What a stupid I am" he said afterwards.

Miss Wie had better learn the rules, or at least have a vaque idea of them if she is going to play PRO GOLF for a living. She has been dinged twice for rules violations in the past 12 months.

Sorry, being SIXTEEN does not excuse her this time. If this is the reason the caddy was fired then he is far better off on someone elses bag anyways.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Thread Information