100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar

Wie Fires Caddy...Sort of

I am suprised (unless I missed a thread) that there is no talk on here of Michelle Wie firing her caddy.
    Actually I say sort of, as no 'Wie' family member, michelle included, actually told him. It was her agent.
    Kinda reminds me of similar tact I read about in the star.
    A uk employee was off sick, and got her termination via a text msg on cell phone.
    Michelles caddy was stopped after british open at airport and told not to bother flying to her next event.
    Guess its his fault she doesn't want to read the rules of golf either.
    Pathetic on her and her family.
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkhark
    Actually I say sort of, as no 'Wie' family member, michelle included, actually told him. It was her agent.
    What an agent does, the principal is deemed to have done. Therefore, if the agent was working for her, then she fired the caddy. The fact that an agent gave the bad news is irrelevant, legally.

To expect a 16-year-old to be able to tell someone, in person, that their services are no longer required is perhaps asking a bit much.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkshooter
    To expect a 16-year-old to be able to tell someone, in person, that their services are no longer required is perhaps asking a bit much.
    Then she shouldn't be playing pro golf.
    She can't have it both ways, asking for a break because she's "just a kid" while at the same time accepting endorsements and sponsors exemptions.
    Her "gaff" in the bunker and suseqent non-calling of the penalty on herself, as we all know, is not the first rules violation she has incurred, and then claimed ignorance of the rules.
    The thing that really got my goat was this :

Wie said she had no plans to read the Rules of Golf now that she has been penalized twice in less than a year.
    "Well, they're not actually great reading material," she said.

What nerve, she has no clue how lucky she is. In my books she's a cheater, plain and simple.

"Richard"
    cheater?? When did she cheat?? SHe didn't drop properly and was dq'ed, no cheating there. As for the rules, shouldn't the caddy know them as well? Finally, why is she lucky? She has worked hard on her golf game to get to where she is... is tiger lucky?

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    I am not sure I would call her a cheat. She is certainly behaving like an irresponsible 16 year old. This as well as comments like: I played well except for some bad drives, irons, wedges and putts" she made from an earlier tournament convince me of that.

Her handlers are the people who should be fired, not her caddie!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons
    Then she shouldn't be playing pro golf.
    She can't have it both ways, asking for a break because she's "just a kid" while at the same time accepting endorsements and sponsors exemptions.
    Her "gaff" in the bunker and suseqent non-calling of the penalty on herself, as we all know, is not the first rules violation she has incurred, and then claimed ignorance of the rules.
    The thing that really got my goat was this :

Wie said she had no plans to read the Rules of Golf now that she has been penalized twice in less than a year.
    "Well, they're not actually great reading material," she said.

What nerve, she has no clue how lucky she is. In my books she's a cheater, plain and simple.
    Proud member of the 2009 Ryder Cup winning team

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    cheater?? When did she cheat?? SHe didn't drop properly and was dq'ed, no cheating there.
    The illegal drop she took gave her a better line - AND she was DQ'd because the guy from SI raised the issue, she did not call this on herself. The most recent, hitting somethinig on your backswing in a bunker and not calling yourself is ridiculous. I'll bet 90% of the people posting on this forum would know what the ruling was.
    IMO she knew exaclty what she was doing both times, but she's getting yet ANOTHER break because she's a 16 year old girl.
    As far as being lucky: #1 Tiger has nothing to do with Michelle Wie, not sure why you threw that in there. Woods doesn't win because he's lucky, and Wie just doesn't win, so that point is moot.

Why is she lucky? Because:

The product of an intelligent and well-educated family... father, who had a Ph.D. in aeronautics. Bo, a successful realtor and former Korean amateur golf champion, met B.J. in Los Angeles in 1987, and they married soonafter. The couple moved to Honolulu in 1988 and welcomed Michelle into the world following year.

it wasn't Michelle's good planning that she was born into a succesful family that happened to live in Hawaii - this is lucky.

but wait, there's more:

Michelle was starting sixth grade at the Punahou School (the top private school on the island of Oahu)

Do you think she provided funds for her own tuition? I don't, thus making her lucky that her parents could afford to send her to a private school.

Over the next year, Michelle sprouted almost six inches to six feet tall

The result of her good planning and practice? Nope, just lucky to have good genes.

Michelle also formed a productive partnership with Gary Gilchrist, a swing doctor stationed at the David Leadbetter Junior Golf Academy in Florida.

Anyone on this forum been to Leadbetters Jr Academy? If so, you're lucky.Wie is lucky to have had the privileges she has had this far in life. It's more than most get in a lifetime.
    Last edited by Shivas Irons; 08-09-2006 at 01:46 PM.

Pitching Wedge Go4daPin is on a distinguished road
    The illegal drop she took gave her a better line - AND she was DQ'd because the guy from SI raised the issue, she did not call this on herself. The most recent, hitting somethinig on your backswing in a bunker and not calling yourself is ridiculous. I'll bet 90% of the people posting on this forum would know what the ruling was.
    IMO she knew exaclty what she was doing both times, but she's getting yet ANOTHER break because she's a 16 year old girl.
    As far as being lucky: #1 Tiger has nothing to do with Michelle Wie, not sure why you threw that in there. Woods doesn't win because he's lucky, and Wie just doesn't win, so that point is moot.

The product of an intelligent and well-educated family... father, who had a Ph.D. in aeronautics. Bo, a successful realtor and former Korean amateur golf champion, met B.J. in Los Angeles in 1987, and they married soonafter. The couple moved to Honolulu in 1988 and welcomed Michelle into the world following year.

it wasn't Michelle's good planning that she was born into a succesful family that happened to live in Hawaii - this is lucky.

but wait, there's more:

Michelle was starting sixth grade at the Punahou School (the top private school on the island of Oahu)

Do you think she provided funds for her own tuition? I don't, thus making her lucky that her parents could afford to send her to a private school.

The result of her good planning and practice? Nope, just lucky to have good genes.

Michelle also formed a productive partnership with Gary Gilchrist, a swing doctor stationed at the David Leadbetter Junior Golf Academy in Florida.

Anyone on this forum been to Leadbetters Jr Academy? If so, you're lucky.Wie is lucky to have had the privileges she has had this far in life. It's more than most get in a lifetime.

I hope you feel good about yourself ragging on a 16yr old. You must be a Morgan Pressel fan!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    I agree with the wrong drop thing. I'd be willing to give her a bit of slack on the bunker issue. It was definitely a violation, but it's not like she was purposely grounding her club.

As far as the rest goes, her "people" are sending her the wrong signals by telling her that she's "entititled", and that she can get favourable treatment by just batting her eyelashes and making a pouty-face. If this keeps up she's going to continue to get chewed up and spit out by the rest of the pros around her. One thing's for sure, they're trying to make a living at this, and if they're forced to choose between a decent paycheque and Kraft Dinner they'll stick a knife in her back and keep walking.

I know she's only 16, but if you want to play with the big dogs, it's time to start growing up and get off the Puppy Chow.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Quote Originally Posted by Go4daPin

I hope you feel good about yourself ragging on a 16yr old. You must be a Morgan Pressel fan!
    I'm not ragging on a 16 yr old, I'm ragging on a professional golfer.
    Also, I can be reasonably sure Wie isn't reading this forum. Having said that, I stand by my post, she deserves to be ragged upon.

I do agree her "handlers" need to do a much better job.

"Richard"
    Tigers dad put a club in his hand when he was a one year old, tigers dad was in the army or something and raised him to have good values, be respectful and have a good worth ethic and was able to motivate him... Without tigers dad supporting him, introducing him to golf tiger is no one. Man that tiger is one lucky cat. I supposed SOME nba players are lucky they are so tall and lucky that growing up they didn't have enough money to play anything else other than basketball (court-free, ball $10). It being the sport of choice to keep the kids out of gangs (I've heard this story many times in the NBA and I'm not generalizing, I just can't remember their names). Tyson is lucky he has mental problems and wants to kill people, lance armstrong is lucky that he has a crazy lung capacity and his blood can carry more oxegen than 99% of the rest of the people on the planet. I don't believe in luck. For every 1 michelle wie (family, money, athletic ability) there are 10,000 16 year olds who are getting preg, doing drunks, getting into cat fights, drinking and so on. There are a lot of privleged people out there who do nothing with their lives

"Richard"
    I'm not ragging on a 16 yr old, I'm ragging on a professional golfer.
    Also, I can be reasonably sure Wie isn't reading this forum. Having said that, I stand by my post, she deserves to be ragged upon.

I do agree her "handlers" need to do a much better job.
    There is nothing wrong with ragging on michele wie. She is a professional athelete and when she turned pro her life came under a microscope. Everything she says and does will be picked apart by me, you, announcers and everyone else. Its the life she chose I just like deffending her because I'm a big fan of hers. As for her cheating... Its only cheating if you get caught and I guess she did

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    As for her cheating... Its only cheating if you get caught...
    There's something seriously wrong with that statement.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

"Richard"
    hahaha, you've never heard that before? They use it all the time when talking about baseball and steriods

hahaha, you've never heard that before? They use it all the time when talking about baseball and steriods
    Oh yeah, I've heard it thousands of times. I was talking about what the statement means. It's unfortunate that this is the way things are going now in the pro sports and business worlds.

... Its only cheating if you get caught
    I agree, it's like speeding.

"In Kingston everything's legal man as long as you don't get caught."

The Headstones.

"Richard"
    I'm an honest person when it comes to golf. I remember on the first hole of my match with dan when I went to set up for my put, I was on the fringe but on an upslope and before I could ground my club behind my ball to line it up the ball moved a little. I told him and mpare and they said its not a stoke or something like that. The only time I lie is when I drunk and I tell a girl at a club that I think she is beautiful

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    10,000 16 year olds who are getting preg, doing drunks
    Are they getting pregnant because they are doing drunks? I'm sure you meant drugs...but it was funny the way it was written.

My two cents: Michelle Wie is not the only pro golfer who does not know the rules. This has come up many many times in the PGA as well. I think firing her caddy was a little premature and maybe immature.

"Richard"
    LOL,thats hilarious... I should really re read and spell check my posts but why bother.. but I guess I got lucky and it still make sense

introducing him to golf tiger is no one. Man that tiger is one lucky cat.
    Yes he is lucky to have the parents he does.

I supposed SOME nba players are lucky they are so tall
    Yes, like no-talent Shaq? He didn't grow to 7 feet from sheer hard work.

There are a lot of privleged people out there who do nothing with their lives
    Can't dispute that.

"Richard"
    I see where you are coming from but my thing is that to say shaq has no talent and he is only good because he is 7 feet tall is a little silly. The guy hits the gym (well he used to) pretty hard. Even though you can't tell by his shooting, he does work on his shot and his inside game. Size matters but it isn't everything (insert fundonny joke here)

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    Well if I was in Michelle's position, I wish. Then I think that I, or my handlers, should make sure that the caddy she has is really well versed with the rules. The caddy is the only other one there on her side, and should be an excellent second defence against anything like that happening. She is young and has a lot of stuff to contend with and needs someone knowledgeable to help guide her.

Quote Originally Posted by little brit
    Well if I was in Michelle's position, I wish. Then I think that I, or my handlers, should make sure that the caddy she has is really well versed with the rules. The caddy is the only other one there on her side, and should be an excellent second defence against anything like that happening. She is young and has a lot of stuff to contend with and needs someone knowledgeable to help guide her.
    Sorry little brit, that's a cop out. If I'm going in for surgery I don't want the doctor asking the nurse which instruments to use. The player is ultimately responsible for their own actions. The "handlers" are there to help deal with the stuff away from the course. If Michelle didn't know the rules, it's her own fault for not being prepared and/or lazy. There's a reason they have rules officials out there...

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    From another website, this is a recent SI article about this very topic. Very interesting read for sure.

http://www.feedrollpro.com/openlink....com/&title=Wie article from SI.com
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    From another website, this is a recent SI article about this very topic. Very interesting read for sure.
    Surprise, surprise... I wonder if she knows Paris Hilton. "Daddy, I want him fired! And then I want you to kill everyone who looks at me the wrong way, and then I want you to buy Argentina for me, and then..."

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Hello! This guy caddie for Julie Inkster and unless I'm wrong won four majors with her!!!! He knows his stuff. Inkster is ticked that the little Wie clan took her caddy right in the middle of the season (she doesn't blame him because they gave him an ultimatum). Wie and the family = the Lindros family back in the day
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar
    Am I missing something on the bunker back swing hitting debris. How would her caddy know? He can't see that.
    Thats up to her to notice and admit.

Should before every shot, her caddy tell her all the wrong things she could do that could be infractions. Silly.
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge
    Sorry little brit, that's a cop out. If I'm going in for surgery I don't want the doctor asking the nurse which instruments to use. The player is ultimately responsible for their own actions. The "handlers" are there to help deal with the stuff away from the course. If Michelle didn't know the rules, it's her own fault for not being prepared and/or lazy. There's a reason they have rules officials out there...
    O.K. after reading the article it certainly sounds like after being a caddie for Juli Inkster the caddie is very experienced. It also sounds like if he says something then there will be eruptions. I still maintain my view that a caddy should be a second line defence though. Your analagy with nurses and doctors is a good one I think. Caddies often recommend a different club use and help the pros line up their putts, nurses often catch doctors in errors too, would you really prefer the nurse to say nothing when they see the doctor make a mistake? We are all human and we all make mistakes, but in the end she is still the pro and her word goes. They have to be a team and if she isn't prepared to accept this valueable help with respect then she will have problem.
    Last edited by little brit; 08-09-2006 at 06:53 PM.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar

but wait, there's more:

I'm sorry, but this is the most ridiculous post I have read on here in a long time. Let me first point out that I am not a Wie fan. That said...what the hell are you talking about.

By your theory, anyone who is born into a well educated family and the product of a good home life is lucky and does not deserve credit for the good things they do (only blame for the bad). Anyone who gets where they are partially because of their genes is simply lucky, and does not deserve credit for the good things they do (only blame for the bad). Anyone who has the opportunity to go to David Leadbetter's Academy is lucky and does not deserve credit for the fact that it is THEM swinging the golf club and not David Leadbetter.

Private school? You call mentioning Tiger irrelevant. What on earth does private school have to do with her golfing ability?

Don't think that I'm trying to say she isn't lucky. Obviously Michelle Wie is lucky...as is Tiger Woods. As are most people. Any time something good happens to anyone you could call it luck. Michelle Wie has been lucky to get the chances she has, but she has made the most of them. Is she lucky to have an incredible golf swing? Maybe she is, but does she not still deserve the credit for that swing? She's the one hitting the ball. You can't tell me that if you went to private school and had an ideal home life and went to David Leadbetter' Academy you would be a pro golfer.

While we're at this, why don't we all jump on this train, and bash everyone who has gotten where they are at least partially due to fortunate circumstances and the contributions of others. Damn Tiger Woods and his good genes, great home life, and College Scholarships. Damn Wayne Gretzky and his incredible hockey playing ability. Damn Bill Gates and his intelligence. I think you see where I'm going with this.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Fired her caddy and dropped 5 spots in the Rolex Rankings. All in one week. TRAUMATTIC,
    LIKE I DID NOT SEE THAT COMING, YOU KNOW THAT'S JUST A BAD BOUNCE IN THE RANKINGS.
    DID NOT KNOW YOU COULD NOT TOUCH THE SAND OR LOOSE IMPEDIMENTS IN THE BUNKER ON YOUR BACK SWING. NO NEED TO READ THE RULE BOOk, TOO BORING.
    DADDY CAN CADDY SAVES SOME $$$$$

NEW ROLEX LADIES WORLD RANKINGS
    http://146.145.120.3/default.asp?c=t...-golf-rank.htm
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum
    Fired her caddy and dropped 5 spots in the Rolex Rankings. All in one week. TRAUMATTIC,

LIKE I DID NOT SEE THAT COMING, YOU KNOW THAT'S JUST A BAD BOUNCE IN THE RANKINGS.
    DID NOT KNOW YOU COULD NOT TOUCH THE SAND OR LOOSE IMPEDIMENTS IN THE BUNKER ON YOUR BACK SWING. NO NEED TO READ THE RULE BOOk, TOO BORING.
    DADDY CAN CADDY SAVES SOME $$$$$

NEW ROLEX LADIES WORLD RANKINGS
    http://146.145.120.3/default.asp?c=t...-golf-rank.htm
    I just looked at the rankings. I don't understand how someone with 17 events can be compared to golfers with high 40's and 50's for event numbers. It makes no sense.

Thread Information