CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Of course there are people interested in long drive contests, the same way there are people interested in wrestling, strong man contests, the world logging championships, http://www.worldloggers.com/, and fishing shows on television. With millions of people in the world, there will always be someone to sell a product to.

The point I was trying to make earlier is that a long drive during a golf match is cool, but for the most part not very exciting, unless there is some risk involved, e.g. a narrow landing area, or water close by, but that would go for any tee shot. On some courses, a long drive that is inaccurate is less desirable than a short drive that is accurate. I would much rather be hitting a 200 yard approach than hitting my second shot back out the fairway from behind some trees, or trying to pound a 170 yard iron from the deep rough, and the stuff the pros play out of is deep, as I found out last December in Palm Desert.

mr shank, as you pointed out, only those interested in golf would be excited by a golfer sinking a 40 double breaking putt. But those watching a golf match do understand this or they wouldn't be watching! I know guys who love to play golf, but can't stand to watch it because they say it is boring. And to some degree it is. When you watch golf, the first couple of days are dedicated to the popular players, unless someone does something extraordinary. The last couple of days, the leaders get followed around, unless of course someone does something special. There may not be anything exciting going on, but we get to watch the leaders.

P.S. There is a putting championship...

http://www.wgv.com/golf/pc_championships.html
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    Originally posted by mr shank
    Apparently many others disagree or long drive contests wouldn't exist.
    Long drive contests exists because the sponsors (titleist, taylor made etc.) make them exist...not because they have a tremendous amount of viewers. Have you ever seen 5,000 people at a driving contest? Nope. It's a sponsors way of showing there equipment.

Birdie mr shank is on a distinguished road
    Originally posted by em69
    Long drive contests exists because the sponsors (titleist, taylor made etc.) make them exist...not because they have a tremendous amount of viewers. Have you ever seen 5,000 people at a driving contest? Nope. It's a sponsors way of showing there equipment.

- since putting is soooooooooo much more exciting than driving, why do the equipment makers not hold long putt competions to show their stuff?

Thread Information