100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar

Where can I get some wood cut?

I just bought a couple IKEA tables for my new kitchen and I need to shave about 1-5/8" off the top of each so that I can attach them together and fit them in a space in the kitchen.

I thought I could just take them to Home Depot and get them cut, but that evil place wont make two simple cuts for me because I didnt purchase the wood there. Somethign about not being able to replace it if they screw up. B.S.

If anybody knows of a place where I can just take the tops (which are quite small) to and have them shave off a strip of each please let me know, it doesnt even have to be the cleanest laser cut, I can always just get some sandpaper and smooth it out a bit.

Thanks
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

None of you lads know where I can get this done?

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Well if it doesn't have to be the cleanest cut, bring it on over and I'll break out the hack saw.

JK buddy, wish I could help you out. I'm sure someone will eventually chime in.

What about Rona or a Home Hardware type store?
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I have to ask, why not just cut the legs?

Taking that much off the top, assuming I understand what you want to do, would actually be kind of hard to do.

Sand Wedge Rando is on a distinguished road
    Bring it over and i can rip it on my table saw.

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent

Taking that much off the top, assuming I understand what you want to do, would actually be kind of hard to do.
    Nevermind. Reading comprehension is low today and I just figured out what you need done.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    Well if it doesn't have to be the cleanest cut, bring it on over and I'll break out the hack saw.

What about Rona or a Home Hardware type store?
    Well I was going to use a handsaw, but i figured to get my hand steady enough, I'd probably need a 12pack, but that raises other issues such as "Colouring inside the Lines"

But I was at Home Depot and they wouldn't do it for me. I guess I could just call Rona and Home Hardware to see if they'd do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent

Its not the height, its the width. They aren't even really tables, I'm not sure what they would be called, maybe serving carts or something. I have about 36" to play with and each of the carts are about 19-5/8" wide, so I want to trim each down to 18" wide, then I'm just going to put the top on flush with the side of the legs and bolt both of the carts together so that if I ever want to I can take them apart quite easily.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    How did I miss this thread?

Use a straight edge and a handsaw you big wuss.

Take a pencil & mark a line with the straight edge (the side of one of your many empty cases of beer will do) then take the handsaw, pointy part of the blade towards the wood you want to cut, and draw it back and forth, following the line, until you're done. If the saw is dull, or not fine-toothed, a little more sanding will be required.

If you are unable to do this, I will no longer take any of your putting advice of "take the putter straight back on the line" ever again!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba
    How did I miss this thread?

Use a straight edge and a handsaw you big wuss.

Take a pencil & mark a line with the straight edge (the side of one of your many empty cases of beer will do) then take the handsaw, pointy part of the blade towards the wood you want to cut, and draw it back and forth, following the line, until you're done. If the saw is dull, or not fine-toothed, a little more sanding will be required.

If you are unable to do this, I will no longer take any of your putting advice of "take the putter straight back on the line" ever again!!
    Excellent trash talk. When are you guys playing your match again?

I was thinking the same thing.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Known entity lms is on a distinguished road lms's Avatar
    I have a saw and will do this for you if you can't find someone closer to you (I live on highway 7 near the Canadian).

Blahhh...blah...blah
    See I was going to take it easy on you in our match, but now I'm just going to spank you like the dirty little school-girl you are!

Quote Originally Posted by lms
    I have a saw and will do this for you if you can't find someone closer to you (I live on highway 7 near the Canadian).
    Thanks for the offer, I may just have to take you up on that.

Hoolio is the trash talking king, I'm just trying to keep up

I was trying to think up something clever involving "sawing him off" in our match, but I couldn't come up with anything witty.

Maybe : "Im going to saw you off 2 up, 1 and 5/8ths...." nope, its just not coming to me...

Don't think you want to saw him off Sak. In match play that means you tied the hole(at least that what it means to me and my buddies). You just want to flat out beat him.

I'd be happy to saw him off on every hole, I get strokes!

True, very true. Whenever you guys decide to play lmk. Maybe I'll join you.

This is so far off topic, but we were actually thinking of Mountain Creek someday next week (I'm on holidays)

Nice! I can play any day except Friday. LMK would gladly join you guys.

Team Match Play Champ 2009 geronamo is on a distinguished road
    Let me know when and maybe I'll join also. Would like to see that match.

I just want to see hoolio drive the green on the 8th hole again without cutting the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by geronamo
    Let me know when and maybe I'll join also. Would like to see that match.
    Will keep you advised. And I wanted to send a big congrats out to ya on your 7th post. Trying to keep your post count in line with your handicap I see.

FINALLY: I visited the nice people at Rona tonight and they were kind enough to take the 4 seconds to cut the wood for me. Mission Complete.

See, you listen to me and things get done. So here's one for you, "GO BEAT SAKURABA!" Now lets see if that works as well.

PS I want to play with you guys if you do the MC thing. Please, pretty please?

Well I'm supposed to go to Montreal for a meeting next Thursday, so I think that would be a good day to play. Its like getting ice cream and then dipping it in fudge!

I'll discuss it with the Sak, but really our match is just a mere formality, so the only reason I would take his input on courses and dates would be for the sake of his children. They need to see their daddy sometime.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Well, if you wipe the floor with him the way you say you will, he should have plenty of time to spend with his kids. The shaming you put him through will send him into seclusion for at least a couple weeks.

But then...imagine the shame you'll go through if you lose, especially after all this trash talking.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Well, keep me informed. If you play Thurs I'm in. But I'd recommend playing in the morning, if not the round could get long and I don't think you want to keep daddy away from the kids too long now do you?

Quote Originally Posted by jonf
    But then...imagine the shame you'll go through if you lose, especially after all this trash talking.
    Don't worry, I'm hedging by bets by mocking myself in private. I feel no shame, and that has gotten me into some trouble in the past. But that is neither here nor there.

I'm all over Mountain Creek next Thursday, any time of day.

I'd be happy to have Geoff join us, and Geronimo (Is that Jason or Kevin??!) 'Cause he knows I have it in me to beat the Bob Villa of Centretown.

PM me all you want! Maybe we could make 2 times if there is that much interest.

no replies

I'm all over Mountain Creek next Thursday, any time of day.

I'd be happy to have Geoff join us, and Geronimo (Is that Jason or Kevin??!) 'Cause he knows I have it in me to beat the Bob Villa of Centretown.

PM me all you want! Maybe we could make 2 times if there is that much interest.
    Ok my quip about Hoolio being the "Bob Villa of Centretown" go no laughs!? I really thought I zinged him there...

guess I'm not as funny as I thought.

Thread Information