100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    "Richard"
    Dan, in your case you would get relief then... only the player can tell if its free relief or not. I wouldn't... and I wouldn't lie or cheat just to get relief... I think that is what it comes down to

If there was no ribbon on the tree who would and who wouldn't try a left handed shot? not me

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Any logical shot is reasonable, regardless of the player's skill. If that were not the case then chipping over a pond to a tucked pin would be unreasonable for a lot of people.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    From the sound of it I still think the guy got relief from the wrong tree. Any chance you can get a pic of that spot on the course and show where the ball was before the drop Codfodder?
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Lob Wedge Codfodder is on a distinguished road Codfodder's Avatar

Pic

I am just sick enough to take a Pic on Sunday when I am there.

Will post..............but only if someone tells me what "tho.tho" means.

[I][COLOR=royalblue]"95% of the putts that don't make it to the hole.............won't go in"[/COLOR][/I]

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Codfodder
    I am just sick enough to take a Pic on Sunday when I am there.

Will post..............but only if someone tells me what "tho.tho" means.

ahem, just think of one of his other nicknames 'Dick' and that will be a big clue
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    If the player is going to take relief because their left handed shot is interfered with, they should be obliged to take the next shot left handed. If you're not going to do it that way, then a penalty should be applied. I know that may not be the rule, but is ridiculous for a player to be able to take a drop because their swing is reasonably interefered with, and then, after taking the drop, taking a completely different swing.

This is one of those things that, as a competitor, always pisses me off about golf. There are so many little loopholes and silly rules that get in teh way of true competition. (and yes, I know I've just opened a whole bag of worms and my head will likely get bitten off by about half the forum members )

1 Iron Tanglegrip is on a distinguished road Tanglegrip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf
    If the player is going to take relief because their left handed shot is interfered with, they should be obliged to take the next shot left handed.
    I can see your argument but there are often situations where the ROG provides choices that help or hinder a competitor. In this case the local rule is there to protect the course so you have to ask;

Is hitting it left handed a legitimate shot for the 2 HCP - Yes
    Does the ribboned tree come into play - Yes
    Is relief allowed under this circumstance - Yes

Relief is then granted. Once relief is taken the above conditions no longer apply and the competitor may then hit his shot any way he choses. There is no right or wrong, only the ROG.

Quote Originally Posted by jonf
    This is one of those things that, as a competitor, always pisses me off about golf. There are so many little loopholes and silly rules that get in teh way of true competition. (and yes, I know I've just opened a whole bag of worms and my head will likely get bitten off by about half the forum members )
    I believe that there are far too many rules in the game of golf. SILLY rules. The 2 stroke penalty on Stadler for putting a towel under his knee so he wouldn't get wet/dirty when hitting a shot from under a tree was assenine

Having to hit out of some inconsiderate 'golfers' divot, not being allowed to fix a spike mark on the green, not being allowed to wear shorts, not being allowed to ground your club in a hazzard, not being allowed to knock a twig off a branch while practicing your swing, not being able to move a bush or branch out of your way WITH YOUR HANDS but can 'BACK INTO IT to bend it back..... useless, stupid, bureaucratic, game slowing......

Hmmmmmm, he found one of my only hot buttons!!! OK, deeeeeeep breath, take a sip of coffee, puff on the smoke, play the calming music, call my yoga instructor and get my blood pressure medication!

Now that could be an interesting and hotly debated thread that would probably get locked down in about 1.5 seconds!

GRRRRRRRRR..... the SILLY rules of golf rule their ugly head once again! I don't have the details but I just heard a snippit on the golf channel that Mishele Wie was penalized 2 strokes for brushing a clump of 'heather' that was behind her ball in a bunker! NOW GIVE ME A BREAK!

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    By moving the clump of heather out of the way with her backswing she improved her lie on the forward stroke. The heather (actually a piece of the rivetted turf from the face of the bubker) would have prevented a clean stroke at the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by AAA
    By moving the clump of heather out of the way with her backswing she improved her lie on the forward stroke. The heather (actually a piece of the rivetted turf from the face of the bubker) would have prevented a clean stroke at the ball.

Yup, I realize that but in my mind that is still silly BS. I know there are plenty of 'golf purists' out there that believe in all the rules that have been written.

However I am a believer that the game itself is hard enough without some of the idiot rules that exist. It is time to update the rules and stop the silliness.....

a 1/16th of an inch thick towel for god sakes.......

Par Kiwi battler is on a distinguished road
    if stadler cut the towel in half , took off his shoelaces and tied each half piece of towel to his legs so as to act as knee patches .....he'd be making a fashion statement ?

if he was hitting 1 handed while resting on the right hand ,and had put a glove on his right hand he'd be imitating Micheal Jackson ?

No common sense ! where did he gain any advantage...stupid rules nit picking

Thread Information