100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar

Grip Replacment Opinions

Since I have improved last few years, and no longer have the 'death grip of steel'. I was thinking of moving from my current fave, the reliable old golf pride Tour Velvets. (yeah their not flashy but I always seem to come back to them).

I was thinking new decades, since I like tour velvet, but kinda want to try cords. Or do I go all the way?
    Thoughts?
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Preference dude, its all preference. What feels good to you might not feel good to another.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    Preference dude, its all preference. What feels good to you might not feel good to another.
    I agree. But I have sometimes found using a grip for awhile changes initial opinion. Example, got golfpride softies a few yrs back, loved the soft feel, that is until first round in rain.
    Then I felt like I had a greased banana in my hands.
    For cord, some people love them, but I am a bit afraid I will tear my hands apart. Thats why I thought the half and half new decades. Hoping to hear if someone has used them and what they are like longterm, in rain, etc.
    Especially if they can tell me what they have used/similar to me in past.
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

Known entity lms is on a distinguished road lms's Avatar
    I have the gp new decade multicompound grips on one set of clubs, and I have the gp dual durometer cords on another. I like both. I have fairly soft hands as I do most of my work on a keyboard, and neither are doing any damage to my hands.

As Geoff said, everyone will have a different opinion. I would suggest getting a few you think you might like and try them before committing to doing your whole set.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    When you switch to cord you will tear your hands apart! Then you will have a 3 week reminder not to grip the club so tight. The decades are really nice but at almost $8 a grip they are expensive. I'm looking at the Grip One Tacki Mac or Shapiro, they are about the same as the GP's but a lot less.

Quote Originally Posted by dbleber
    When you switch to cord you will tear your hands apart! Then you will have a 3 week reminder not to grip the club so tight. The decades are really nice but at almost $8 a grip they are expensive. I'm looking at the Grip One Tacki Mac or Shapiro, they are about the same as the GP's but a lot less.
    Since lessons have taught me to gradually get softer in grip that might not be such a bad thing. Thanks for info.
    I am getting the grips this week, for half price plus $1 install each, that is why rather than on just a few, want to get full set all same grip.
    The new decades if I got them, would be $6 (reg 11.95).

ps
    Thanks for info LMS.

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    Try the lambkin crosline black classic,not overly expensive,like 2.30 each.
    They come in cord as well.
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I'll second covanant's vote for the Lamkin.

I play the Lamkin crossline cord and they're actually quite soft. I don't wear a glove unless it's raining or 10000% humidity and never get blisters.

3 Wood mcnorth is on a distinguished road mcnorth's Avatar
    I have lamkin crossline black on all my irons and wedges. Very nice grip. I like gp tour velvet also - its on all my woods incidentally - so if our preferences mesh you'll like the crossline black.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/FONT]

Need a Caddy rgk5 is on a distinguished road rgk5's Avatar
    Hee, hee. Shapiro is really the Sharpro, a fine alternative to the New Decade that comes in midsize as well.

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    I have the GP V-55 corded on my other set of clubs which I used all the time until I got my 695CB's and I never once cut up my hands. You don't have to try and choke the club with your grip. I never had an issue with them nor with them cutting up gloves as much as I thought they would.

I have the New Decades on my set now and I love them. They are good in really high heat when your hands might sweat a bit, and I used them the other night in drizzle without any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer
    I have the GP V-55 corded on my other set of clubs which I used all the time until I got my 695CB's and I never once cut up my hands. You don't have to try and choke the club with your grip. I never had an issue with them nor with them cutting up gloves as much as I thought they would.

I have the New Decades on my set now and I love them. They are good in really high heat when your hands might sweat a bit, and I used them the other night in drizzle without any issues.
    My number one concern for new grips is sweaty hands. Sounds like a good choice. Thanks for your feedback.

Caddy knickers is on a distinguished road knickers's Avatar
    I have the gripone dual density on my hogans, there great. In my opinion theres no need to spend the money for the golf pride. They feel the same as the golf pride as I have them on my adams irons. very easy to install as well.

Thread Information