100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Go Habs Go!!!!
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Known entity Mattchew is on a distinguished road Mattchew's Avatar
    Just have to make 1 comment....it drives me crazy when leaf fans say how they have better goaltending for this year....Raycroft....he had the second worst goals against average last year....I dont care about was a former rookie of the year...the guy let in 100 goals in 30 games!

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    They do have the potential to have much better goaltending this year though. Its not a sure thing, but they have improved their talent pool at the goalie position, which is all you can hope to do. Agreed, Raycroft might not turn out, but it is a vast improvement over their situation at the end of last year. And no, i don't like the leafs...in fact I hate them...its LEAVES damnit.

the only smart thing the leafs did this year was get rid of Aki Berg.......career +/- of -12....that will make a difference......

and getting Peca, Kubina, and Gill, and brining in a coach who will give their young talent the ice time it needs to excel

Caddy knickers is on a distinguished road knickers's Avatar
    [quote=

Toronto u guys absolutly no nothing about hockey if most of u's are placing them second behind Ottawa, what did they had Kubina-Peca-Raycroft, what have these guys proved, absolutly nothing except for Peca who is a solid 3rd line centre, defensive role only, where will the offense come from, as much as Lindros -Allison suck they still added some punch to Toronto's offensive stats from last year, where will the offense come from.

I to am a little bias, but also im realistic unlike certain Ottawa fans that rely on dumbass Garioch from the sun for info.[/quote]

Come on."who did toronto add". How can you say that when montreal has add very little in the offseason. Samsonov needs a great player with him, ie. Thorton. Montreal dosnt have that.

Good call on the Garioch thing though. Anyone remember his reports from the olympics. All he could talk about was the food.

Kovalev and Samsonov are great together. They played on the same line in the Olympics. Speed, agility and great scoring ability.

Pitching Wedge lngdrvcantputt is on a distinguished road
    thats why u dont argue with a Sens fan about hockey cause they know nothing about hockey, even with the lost of Zednik and Bulis, Montreal is still faster then your Senators buddy, Huet didnt collapse last year, they lost every game by 1 goal, 2-1 2-1 3-2, u need to score more to win, and thats exactly what we got in Samsonov, someone to complete Kovalev.

Huet unproven, expalin to me what Gerber proved last year, i agree Huet's unproven but you guys may have to rely on good ol Emery to pull u through the year again.

Ottawa's offence is now like Montreal's, u better hope the rookies come through again this year or Ottawa's in trouble, it's ok guys just like the Renegades you'll realize that Ottawa as a so-so team and you'll all stop going to the games, and they'll slowly vanish to Hamilton.

By the way your points were stupid and baseless, at least im realistic, may i remind u that Ottawa lost the season series against Montreal last year, oohhh no, and its gonna happen again, and obviously u dont realize that Montreal currently as probably one of the best coaching staffs in the league Carbonneau-Muller-Jarvis-Melanson-Gainey, bet u, u cant name the assistants and goalie coach in Ottawa without going to the website noob.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf
    ottawa's scoring will come from the exact same place as last year - their forwards are virtually idenctical. They had no havlat last year at the beginning - he was injured early, came back for a few, got injured again.

Their goaltending is much improved. Even when hasek was in, he was not spectacular.

Their defence is worse than it was, but its still one of the more solid defence cores.

Montreal is in trouble. Huet had one good season so far (Jim Carey anyone?) and to top it off, left off on a terrible note last year. He may recover, he may not. Aebisher is still an unproven goalie - no playoff success, mediocre during the year.

Montreal may have prospects, but their team for next year doesn't look good - that is after all the topic of this thread. Weak on defense, and have lost quite a bit of speed up front in zednik and bulis. Samsanov is a good addition, but Rebeiro is still a liability out there. The Habs need a few years.

3 Wood Maverick is on a distinguished road
    Grow up.

1st of all, im a Habs fan.
    • Emery is not "old" and has tremendous potential to become a solid starter.
    • Samsonov is not the "savior".
    • The Sens will not dissapear in Hamilton and wishing for the dismise of any canadian team make me ashamed that you are a Habs fan.
    • The season serie vs Ottawa was 4-3-0-1 (lost in shootout). We did NOT win the serie, Ottawa got 4 wins just like us.

Quote Originally Posted by lngdrvcantputt
    thats why u dont argue with a Sens fan about hockey cause they know nothing about hockey, even with the lost of Zednik and Bulis, Montreal is still faster then your Senators buddy, Huet didnt collapse last year, they lost every game by 1 goal, 2-1 2-1 3-2, u need to score more to win, and thats exactly what we got in Samsonov, someone to complete Kovalev.

Huet unproven, expalin to me what Gerber proved last year, i agree Huet's unproven but you guys may have to rely on good ol Emery to pull u through the year again.

Ottawa's offence is now like Montreal's, u better hope the rookies come through again this year or Ottawa's in trouble, it's ok guys just like the Renegades you'll realize that Ottawa as a so-so team and you'll all stop going to the games, and they'll slowly vanish to Hamilton.

By the way your points were stupid and baseless, at least im realistic, may i remind u that Ottawa lost the season series against Montreal last year, oohhh no, and its gonna happen again, and obviously u dont realize that Montreal currently as probably one of the best coaching staffs in the league Carbonneau-Muller-Jarvis-Melanson-Gainey, bet u, u cant name the assistants and goalie coach in Ottawa without going to the website noob.

First of all, I never said the Canadiens are slower than Ottawa - Montreal is definitely the faster team. But at the same time, they are slower than they were last year. They lost 3 speedy wingers and replaced them with 1.

Huet may not have collapsed last year, but he let in a softie to lose the series. Can anyone say Ron Tugnutt? That's the kind of play that will either make a player much stronger in the future, or be a big blow to their ego - it remains to be seen what it is for Huet.

Gerber last year proved he can be a really solid goalie during the regular season. He has not yet proven himself during the playoffs, but I'd say he needs a chance to do so when healthy before he can be counted out. Goaltending is definitely Ottawa's biggest question mark, but I still like our goaltending situation more than many teams, including Montreal.

So-so defence? We still have one of the top 3 defence corps in the league. Redden, Phillips (one of the most underrated D-men in the league), Corvo, Meszaros (+34 is pretty damn good buddy).

Explain to me how you came to the conclusion that with Carbonneau, a rookie head coach, who has never seen an NHL game as a head coach, the Canadiens have one of the better coaching staffs. Now, I'm not trying to say that he is going to be a bad coach, but before you start kissing the guy's feet, you should probably let him coach a few games.

I'm glad you think my points are stupid and baseless. It makes it all the more satisfying when I come up with solid facts to prove you wrong. Cheers for the ego boost.

u guys are too funny,

first off Ottawa will only be as godd as the fans will let them be, let me explain: how many franchises as Ottawa lost over the years?
    How many times did the Senators almost go bankcrupt before Melnyk took over?
    How many Renegades/Roughriders franchises have we gone through over the years?
    Where are the Lynx going?

To answer your question i dont hate the Senators i hate the Sens fans. Six guys for the Senators know me on a first name basis and have all given me tickets to the games, by dealing with them at the dealership i work at.

To clarify a few things; guys read before u write back stupid comments,

a) i said so-so team, not so-so defence, im talking about the team in general, you'll see this year, they'll be average like the rest of the conference and the whole city will want to crucify Muckler, and attendance may suffer, unlike Montreal 10 losing seasons straight, and ten years of sold out hockey.

b) "old Emery", i said good "ol" Emery, wich he proved absolutly useless, put him behind a normal defence, normal offense, he doesnt stand a chance, last two years Ottawa's had a very powerfull team on defence and offence.

c)Samsonov = savior, when did i say that i said he would compliment Kovalev, meaning finally Kovalev as a worthy winger to play with, sure Ribeiro is still a big ??, but hey guys he's talking power skating lessons over the summer, Ribeiro as lots of talent but not enough heart.

d) Season series = because of the O.T lost Montreal got that extra point meaning 1 extra point = won series for Montreal, and to be honest i never thought about it that way until Gary Galley was talling up Ottawa's year and individual series, and mentioned Montreal took the series.

e) Gerber solid during season, as far as i know Huet too was solid during the season, sure that goal was weak, it happens to the best of them, remember Roy flash that glove save against the Wings in 1999, drop the puck in the crease, and gets scored on to lose, happens to best of em, i agree its left to be seen how he bounces from that, im very confident with is poise Huet will be back strong. If it all fails Abiescher will be ready to assume the role, and dont say Aebischer asnt proven anything, he's never finished a season with a GAA higher then 3.00 and a save% below .900 and thats playing in the west where there's way more scoring, i would put my money on Abby over Gerber anyday, and im sure many sports anylist would agree.

f) bulis-zednik = zednik one move wonder towards the right boards, circle the net and lose the puck, that guy as never been the same since getting clotheslined by MacLean in the playoffs against the Bruins a few years ago, sure Zednik had speed but could never use it. Bulis had a great vision but could never finish the plays, and he couldnt pass, Bulis was great on defence, but again no consistency.Johnson i've been told is probably as fast as Bulis but with tons more grit, and thats what Montreal was missing, along with a playing partner for Kovalev.

So in final, Montreal will be the surprise team this year, how can u guys not agree that team chemistry isnt at the fore front of success, and i reiterate again that is why Ottawa was so hot off the start last year, they had same team as previous years, now Ottawa as to start somewhat fresh again, sure there's lots of potential for success, just like in Montreal lots of potential for success just all the pieces need to fit, and i see the pieces fitting nicely in Montreal this year.

Again what did u prove on your useless rant, hows you ego now
    i wish they had a pic of a guy puking cause thats what i feel like doing right now, u know one of the sports mags. out of Toronto as Montreal finishing 12th in the conference, and another sports mag. out of Detroit as them finishing 6th, your probably only reading the one out of Toronto, where Garioch put is blob, psst. u must be really gulable to stand by those guys predictions if thats what your basing your "facts" on.

u guys are too funny,

first off Ottawa will only be as godd as the fans will let them be, let me explain: how many franchises as Ottawa lost over the years?

To answer your question i dont hate the Senators i hate the Sens fans. Six guys for the Senators know me on a first name basis and have all given me tickets to the games, by dealing with them at the dealership i work at.

a) i said so-so team, not so-so defence, im talking about the team in general, you'll see this year, they'll be average like the rest of the conference and the whole city will want to crucify Muckler, and attendance may suffer, unlike Montreal 10 losing seasons straight, and ten years of sold out hockey.

b) "old Emery", i said good "ol" Emery, wich he proved absolutly useless, put him behind a normal defence, normal offense, he doesnt stand a chance, last two years Ottawa's had a very powerfull team on defence and offence.

c)Samsonov = savior, when did i say that i said he would compliment Kovalev, meaning finally Kovalev as a worthy winger to play with, sure Ribeiro is still a big ??, but hey guys he's talking power skating lessons over the summer, Ribeiro as lots of talent but not enough heart.

d) Season series = because of the O.T lost Montreal got that extra point meaning 1 extra point = won series for Montreal, and to be honest i never thought about it that way until Gary Galley was talling up Ottawa's year and individual series, and mentioned Montreal took the series.

e) Gerber solid during season, as far as i know Huet too was solid during the season, sure that goal was weak, it happens to the best of them, remember Roy flash that glove save against the Wings in 1999, drop the puck in the crease, and gets scored on to lose, happens to best of em, i agree its left to be seen how he bounces from that, im very confident with is poise Huet will be back strong. If it all fails Abiescher will be ready to assume the role, and dont say Aebischer asnt proven anything, he's never finished a season with a GAA higher then 3.00 and a save% below .900 and thats playing in the west where there's way more scoring, i would put my money on Abby over Gerber anyday, and im sure many sports anylist would agree.

f) bulis-zednik = zednik one move wonder towards the right boards, circle the net and lose the puck, that guy as never been the same since getting clotheslined by MacLean in the playoffs against the Bruins a few years ago, sure Zednik had speed but could never use it. Bulis had a great vision but could never finish the plays, and he couldnt pass, Bulis was great on defence, but again no consistency.Johnson i've been told is probably as fast as Bulis but with tons more grit, and thats what Montreal was missing, along with a playing partner for Kovalev.

So in final, Montreal will be the surprise team this year, how can u guys not agree that team chemistry isnt at the fore front of success, and i reiterate again that is why Ottawa was so hot off the start last year, they had same team as previous years, now Ottawa as to start somewhat fresh again, sure there's lots of potential for success, just like in Montreal lots of potential for success just all the pieces need to fit, and i see the pieces fitting nicely in Montreal this year.

i wish they had a pic of a guy puking cause thats what i feel like doing right now, u know one of the sports mags. out of Toronto as Montreal finishing 12th in the conference, and another sports mag. out of Detroit as them finishing 6th, your probably only reading the one out of Toronto, where Garioch put is blob, psst. u must be really gulable to stand by those guys predictions if thats what your basing your "facts" on.

Get someone to teach you about hockey and come back and talk about it. By then Montreal may have a good team.
    Last edited by Big Johnny69; 08-29-2006 at 10:07 AM.

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    Go Habs Go
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

First of all, I never said the Canadiens are slower than Ottawa - Montreal is definitely the faster team. But at the same time, they are slower than they were last year. They lost 3 speedy wingers and replaced them with 1.

Huet may not have collapsed last year, but he let in a softie to lose the series. Can anyone say Ron Tugnutt? That's the kind of play that will either make a player much stronger in the future, or be a big blow to their ego - it remains to be seen what it is for Huet.

Gerber last year proved he can be a really solid goalie during the regular season. He has not yet proven himself during the playoffs, but I'd say he needs a chance to do so when healthy before he can be counted out. Goaltending is definitely Ottawa's biggest question mark, but I still like our goaltending situation more than many teams, including Montreal.
    Huet was 1st in save %, 4th in goal against, 3rd in shutouts in the league last year. If he did not prove himself I don’t know what will.

Gerber was 17th in save %, 18th in goal against and 12th in shutouts in the league. All that with a better team defensively and offensively.

Huet did not let a week goal go in on the series winning OT goal. Rivet tipped the shot from Stillman. Cant blame the goalie for that.

[quote=mberube]Huet was 1st in save %, 4th in goal against, 3rd in shutouts in the league last year. If he did not prove himself I don’t know what will.quote]

Unfortunatly more than one season.

I love it when canadains fans say things about sens fans....this comming from a fan that boos his team when they dont score on the powerplay....then boo national anthems....then dont show up to games when there team has no chance of making the playoffs.....oh wait.....not sure if sens fans wont do that too...we havent been in that situation in so long! p.s. dont forget about the expos!

Quote Originally Posted by knickers
    Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    Huet was 1st in save %, 4th in goal against, 3rd in shutouts in the league last year. If he did not prove himself I don’t know what will.
    Unfortunatly more than one season.
    Did Gerber prove himself in more then one season? Check the stats and let me know.
    Last edited by mberube; 08-28-2006 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattchew
    I love it when canadains fans say things about sens fans....this comming from a fan that boos his team when they dont score on the powerplay....then boo national anthems....then dont show up to games when there team has no chance of making the playoffs.....oh wait.....not sure if sens fans wont do that too...we havent been in that situation in so long! p.s. dont forget about the expos!
    You have no clue what you are talking about. The Montreal Canadians have the best attendance in the league every year. They “we” are the best hockey fans in the NHL. Fans boo in certain situation because they know hockey and disapprove what they see. Unbelievable ambiance in MTL. Have you ever been to a Sens game. It’s boring as hell. Nobody cheers. When they play the Habs or the leafs, the only thing you can hear are the habs or leaf fans cheering. Pathetic…

As for booing the USA anthem, well that a political issue and wont get in to that.

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    You have no clue what you are talking about. The Montreal Canadians have the best attendance in the league every year. They “we” are the best hockey fans in the NHL. Fans boo in certain situation because they know hockey and disapprove what they see. Unbelievable ambiance in MTL. Have you ever been to a Sens game. It’s boring as hell. Nobody cheers. When they play the Habs or the leafs, the only thing you can hear are the habs or leaf fans cheering. Pathetic…

As for booing the USA anthem, well that a political issue and wont get in to that.

Well said.
    Mattchew,
    1000 idiot fans boo an anthem,and the whole team and the other 20.000 fans take the rap.
    Get your facts straight dude!
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

Huet did not let a week goal go in on the series winning OT goal. Rivet tipped the shot from Stillman. Cant blame the goalie for that.
    This explanation is CRAP. I have played goalie before, and that does not throw you off. It throws you off when the puck is tipped half way to the goal, NOT when it is tipped directly off the players stick. I love Don Cherry, but anyone who wants to give me that "he tipped it, he tipped it" crap can forget it. That is pretty much the only thing I disagree with Cherry on, but I disagree vehemently. It is going the same direction the whole way, and should be easily stoppable...enough said.

u guys are too funny,

I had a nice long response written, but either the forum or my computer ate it.

So-so defence - Ok, I misread that one - I made a mistake there. BUT, I still disagree with your so-so team statement. Ottawa has one of the top defensive units in the league, a virtually unchanged group of forwards (that performed extremely well last year), and a goalie situation that, while not perfect, is a very solid 1-2 combination.

Ottawa has made very few changes up front - will have SUPERB chemistry - this is, according to you, the most important aspect of a successful team, so ottawa is golden in that category.

You seem to be insinuating that the addition of Samsonov will fix montreal's faltering offence - one successful tandem does NOT make a successful team.

Zednik is a one move wonder....so is Ribeiro...his one move is called (wait for it folks)...THE TURNOVER. Just like you said, by losing Bulis they have lost a speedy, solid defensive player - someone they sorely need with their gaps on defence.

Garrioch? Don't insult me - I don't read any of that crap. I'm intelligent enough to come to my own conclusions about hockey without having to pay 6 bucks for some fat chump to spout crap that makes no sense.

The Lynx? Ya, that was the fans fault - not the idiot who decided that Ottawa was a good baseball market....ya..that one was all the fans. I have to agree with whomever it was who said they were ashamed any habs fan would wish for a Canadian team to leave. Do I despise the Maple Leafs? Yes...but do I want to see them move to the States? Hell no.

Cough**Jim Carrey**Cough** Raycroft**Cough.

Listen. Huet has proven nothing. Nor has Gerber. As I have said, both goalies have a lot to prove, expecially when it comes to playoff performance. One good season followed by a playoff with no series win does NOT make a goalie. Both have enormous potential to be great goalies - there is no question of that. But potential does not always translate into results. Both goalies have a lot to prove.

This explanation is CRAP. I have played goalie before, and that does not throw you off. It throws you off when the puck is tipped half way to the goal, NOT when it is tipped directly off the players stick. I love Don Cherry, but anyone who wants to give me that "he tipped it, he tipped it" crap can forget it. That is pretty much the only thing I disagree with Cherry on, but I disagree vehemently. It is going the same direction the whole way, and should be easily stoppable...enough said.
    You are a god you played goalie before thus making you an expert on the subject. I guess nobody has played hockey competitively here…

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    You are a god you played goalie before thus making you an expert on the subject. I guess nobody has played hockey competitively here…
    But playing competitive hockey alone does not make you an expert on goaltending either.

I am not going to get into this with anyone, but I did see the play in question and I agree that it was a weak goal. The puck was tipped almost instantly. Sure things happen fast at the NHL level, but a goalie should make that save when the puck is tipped that soon after the shot and from that far out.

On a side note, I can see where this thread might be heading. I know there are some die hard fans out there who take things personally when their team is criticized, but lets keep it civil gentleman. Nothing wrong with a good discussion, and at least that way we can find out who the Leaf fans are so we can razz them later in the season.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    at least that way we can find out who the Leaf fans are so we can razz them later in the season.
    You mean Leaf fans are automatically shot on site or at least perma-banned?!?

No, just like teasing them. My dad has been a Leafs fan for as long as I can remember. So when they struggle I like to poke a little more fun just to get him going a bit. So why not do it here as well....
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

3 Wood Maverick is on a distinguished road
    I was at the last Montral game in Ottawa last season and all the Habs fans were up cheering while the few Sens fans were complaining that we were "too loud". I even saw a 40 years old Sens fan throwing popcorn at a 15-16 years old because he would stand up when the Habs had a good chance, he almost got into a fight with him.

I also saw the arena empty itself with 10 minutes to go cause the Habs were leading, what fans?

u know whats sad about your comment i was at the last playoff game in Montreal and at the last game in Ottawa, sure people were disapointed in Montreal after that goal, but almost 90% of the people stay'd and called out Huet for 10 minutes, and cheering the team on, that's a proud moment as a fan, in Ottawa people booed left 10 mins before the game was over, people yelling, swearing, calling out players it was absolutly rediculous. Montreal fans are a little harsh at times, but loyalty is never a question, and remember most of them are quebecers, i dont know if you know french people have a way of telling you what they think whether u like it or not. And what are you talking about people not showing up, look at the attendance stats big guy, even in the last ten years Montreal struggled they still had the best attenddance record in the league.
    quote:
    Get someone to teach you about hockey and come back and talk about it. By then Montreal may have a good team.

ive been to every arena in Canada to watch Montreal, ive been to Buffalo twice, to Long Island and Boston to watch Montreal play, teach me about hockey im 23yrs. old and i'll put up my hockey knowledge to yours anyday

quote:
    p.s. dont forget about the expos!

Listen Mattchew, you've obiously never been to Montreal, the Stade was built in Old Montreal where transit sucks, access to stadium is horrible, i remember we use to have half season tickets back in the day and my parents would always complain about how long it took to get out of the city after a ballgame, it was just a mess.
    Also the overhead the owners were paying on the stade, the renovations that were needed, and the taxes they had to pay every year killed them. The Senators are complaining that 3million a year in taxes is too much, how bout 12 million for the Canadiens every year, and how bout $15 million a year at the time for the expos, u can blame the Quebec government for being stuborn idiots on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattchew
    Last edited by Big Johnny69; 08-29-2006 at 10:10 AM.

Last warning folks. I had to make a few edits to some of these replies. If you want to talk hockey that's cool, but enough with the personal attacks. Anymore and we shut this thread down.

GO HABS GO!!!

Thread Information