100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar

If you are a terrible putter.

I have had a lot of difficulty with my putting, trying many different stances, strokes, look at hole, keep eyes fixed, round shoulders, straight back, left had low, etc. etc. etc. Never could get comfortable over the ball. Until!!! I changed the lie angle on my putter. The putter feels light in my hands now so that I can swing back and through without pressure points in any area causing me to manipulate the putter to fit me rather than the other way round. I am still not a great putter but I am definately getting better a lot faster now that I am not fighting my putter.

So if you feel at all the way I did, then maybe check your lie angle. For me I found that if I bent over until I felt really comfortable with my arms relaxed, and the putter shaft aiming straight up through my arms, I let the club naturally swing above ground level and noticed that the heel was up, so I had it adjusted so that it was flat and now it feels really great.

I don't really know if this will work for different strokes etc. but it has really helped me so I wanted to let anyone know who it might help because this is very rarely addressed by a club fitter.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    The corollary to this is check the length of your putter.

Many people are playing with putters that are too long, belly putters not-withstanding.

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    Yes, mine was shortened quite a lot but but the lie angle was never adjusted.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent
    The corollary to this is check the length of your putter.

Many people are playing with putters that are too long, belly putters not-withstanding.
    Interesting that you say that. I've always used 35" putters but tihs year have been putting horribly. Friends I play with noticed the toe was very upright and the putter was a long way out from my body.
    I was going to cut my putter down but just as an experiment borrowed my wife's putter out of her bag to try. It was 33". Been two weeks now and she's not getting it back . I peeled the Ladies' shaft label off it .
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Thread Information