100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar

Slope and rating

Just curious. Until this year I haven't really paid too much attention to the slope or rating of the course. These are the courses I've played;

Northern Bear - 75.6 / 138 from the tips (7352 yards) Best score (73)
    Jagare Ridge - 74.1 / 140 from the tips (6801 yards) Best score (77)
    The Ranch - 71.8 / 133 from the tips (6506 yards) Best score (76)
    Cougar Creek - 73.3 / 140 from the tips (6847 yards) Best score(71)

The only courses I've played more than once are Northern Bear and The Ranch.

Now, I'm wondering who comes up with these slopes and ratings and how they compare to slopes or ratings for courses in Ottawa that you guys play?

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Each regional golf association has a course rating commitee which determines the rating and slope according to the guidelines set out by the RCGA.

The course rating is a measure of difficulty for the scratch golfer and slope is the measure of difficulty for the bogey golfer. Both scratch and bogey golfer have definitions.

The rating/slope is determined primarily on distance, but the commitee also factors in things such as elevation, wind, hazards, green size/contours, etc. I'm pretty sure they cover the basic guidelines in the handicapping section of the RCGA website.

Those ratings/slopes are on the tough side. There are a few courses in the area which get close to numbers from the very back tees but most of the tough ones here compare to "The Ranch".

It's also worth noting that rating/slope are often debated by course members. Usually to say that their course should be rated higher.

So is it on the conservative side when they rate these courses? Or do you think that they rate them harder than they usually are?

"Richard"
    the rating is based on average scores by scratch players from what I understood. I could be wrong, as I usually am these days when it comes to this stupid game

Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    the rating is based on average scores by scratch players from what I understood. I could be wrong, as I usually am these days when it comes to this stupid game
    You're wrong again Depe.

http://rcga.org/english/Handicapping/course.asp

Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer
    So is it on the conservative side when they rate these courses? Or do you think that they rate them harder than they usually are?
    Most of the courses around here seem to be pretty accurate.

I've also managed to play a bunch of courses on the Top 100 You Can Play list, which usually have quite high ratings/slopes like the other courses on your list and they're generally pretty accurately rated as well IMHO.

I think where most of the confusion comes from is that most people don't understand how rating/slope are defined. For example, a scratch golfer is defined (for men) as someone who can hit a driver 250 yards and hit a 450 yard hole in two.

Golf Nut nice_lag is on a distinguished road
    I'm on the road right now so I'll give you an elaborate answer after the weekend. I've rated a few courses in Ontario so I'll let you in on the process when I have more time.
    nice_lag
    Almonte

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent
    You're wrong again Depe.

Is that strike 3 yet?
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Most of the courses around here seem to be pretty accurate.

I've also managed to play a bunch of courses on the Top 100 You Can Play list, which usually have quite high ratings/slopes like the other courses on your list and they're generally pretty accurately rated as well IMHO.

I think where most of the confusion comes from is that most people don't understand how rating/slope are defined. For example, a scratch golfer is defined (for men) as someone who can hit a driver 250 yards and hit a 450 yard hole in two.
    WOW! I would imagine that process might be changed in the near future. I think players with 10 to 15 handicaps can hit a 450 yard hole in two.

Quote Originally Posted by nice_lag
    I'm on the road right now so I'll give you an elaborate answer after the weekend. I've rated a few courses in Ontario so I'll let you in on the process when I have more time.
    Thanks. I'm looking forward to it.

"Richard"
    Obviously... basically whatever I say just do the op. haha

Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer
    WOW! I would imagine that process might be changed in the near future. I think players with 10 to 15 handicaps can hit a 450 yard hole in two.
    Other than a few of the good players that I play with, the vast majority of the people I play with are capable of consistenly hitting two shots 450 yards.

Some can do it with their best two shots, but most people greatly over estimate how far they hit the ball and 250 yards off the tee would be very good for them.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Each regional golf association has a course rating commitee which determines the rating and slope according to the guidelines set out by the RCGA.

The course rating is a measure of difficulty for the scratch golfer and slope is the measure of difficulty for the bogey golfer. Both scratch and bogey golfer have definitions.

The rating/slope is determined primarily on distance, but the commitee also factors in things such as elevation, wind, hazards, green size/contours, etc. I'm pretty sure they cover the basic guidelines in the handicapping section of the RCGA website.
    Scratch Golfer = is a player who can play to a course handicap of 0 on any and all rated courses. He can hit his tee shots an average of 250 yards and can reach a 470 yard hole in 2 strokes.

Bogey Golfer = has a course handicap of 20 on a course of standard difficulty, can hit his tee shots an average of 200 yards and reach a 370 yard hole in 2 strokes.

Slope = a measurement of relative difficulty for players who are not scratch compared to the RCGA Course Rating(for scratch players) The slope is the difference between the bogey rating and the RCGA Course Rating. Lowest slope rating is 55, highest is 155.

90% of the course/slope rating is based on DISTANCE, 10% for all the other factors combined.

Must be getting old, I was sure it was 450 yards for the scratch golfer.

Thread Information