100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    "Richard"

Can someone tell me what the big deal is with scotty cameron putters??

what is the big deal? I've been to golftown and tried pretty much every scotty that they have. While to proshop guys are working on my clubs I hit putts. After years of searching for a putter I finally settled on a Voodoo daddy belly putter and if and when they make it illegal I already know I'm going to the STX with the green insert... Not trolling or trying to upset any of your scotty nuts but other than it looking pretty or knowing you have a $400 putter in your hands... do you actually find it to be the best putter out there for you? Are you actually going to putt better with that scotty than a $100 yes putter you buy on ebay?

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    I've mentioned this in another thread before. It's more to say they actually own one than anything in my opinion. I've tried them all too and nothing rolls better than a Yes C-Groove.

"Richard"
    yeah, I think its in your head man. Cameron putters are just putters. How can they be any better than something else? What is the dif between a studio and a Ping anser? Not much IMO

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Hype and marketing.

"Richard"
    If I had to pick a putter without trying it.. it wouldn't be a cameron. It would be a C-groove putter for sure.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    This is like the third thread (at least) about this. They're expensive, get over it!

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Putters are very personal.I had a Scottie for a couple of rounds and did not care for it.
    Its all about feel, how confident you are over the ball and a 400.00 dollar Scottie will not make a differance if you are putting well and we all know how long that lasts,then what ever you have in your hands is the putter for you.

"Richard"
    I know this is the 3rd thread.. I started the other two

Good point, maybe its the fact that its a $400 putter that makes people confident at address

Quote Originally Posted by dbleber
    This is like the third thread (at least) about this. They're expensive, get over it!

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    agreed with dbleber.. find the other threads.. we have been down this road..
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

"Richard"
    I think the other threads were about why are camerons so expensive. This thread is about the actually putters, not the price.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    I know this is the 3rd thread.. I started the other two

No surprise there! You know there isn't a special prize for having a high thread count, it won't take any strokes off you game. Scotties are nice putters, so are Yes putters. Putt with what you want, the technology in an anser style putter is not the greatest no matter the name but people like the feel. I'm pretty sure that this was also mentioned in the other threads..............

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent
    Hype and marketing.
    Actually,i have never seen a magazine or t.v ad for Scotty Cameron putters?
    Anybody?
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

Quote Originally Posted by covanant
    Actually,i have never seen a magazine or t.v ad for Scotty Cameron putters?
    Anybody?
    Never. I guess they market on Ebay.

I would think their tour pressence does a decent job..

Quote Originally Posted by scottycameron
    I would think their tour pressence does a decent job..
    Perhaps....There aren't a lot of shots of the players putters where they can read what is in use though on tv. I'd say Ebay does a better job. If you are in the market for a putter and notice hundreds if not thousands of people selling them on Ebay, I'm pretty sure you're going to check one out out of curiosity.

"Richard"
    but there are thousands of everything on ebay... so that doesn't fly with me. here is my question then... is there anything that goes into a cameron putter that doesn't go into a oddessey, ping, callaway or whatever? cause if there isn't then a scotty is no better than anything else on the market and if you can get something else that does just as good of a job... then a scotty is just another putter but with a very infliated price

Lob Wedge cueball is on a distinguished road cueball's Avatar
    I have played the same Ping Anser putter since 1982 and recently moved to a Scotty Futura II and have picked a few strokes a round.

I got a Scotty partly because they are the number 1 putter on tour (everyone who plays ProV1's gets them for the same reason even if they could play as well with something cheaper) and partly because it felt good. I grew up in a family who owned a metal fab shop and I aprreciate where Scotty Cameron comes from and what it takes to make a putter like he makes.

To each there own, but they sell for upwards of $1500 on ebay and I have never seen an ad. They must be doing something right.

If I had the cash I would drive a Maybach too

just my thoughts
    Will
    Last edited by cueball; 07-26-2006 at 09:48 PM.

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    I use to play an Odyssey putter. It was a good putter. Played it for 4 years. 2 years ago I bought a Red X2 centre shaft. Paid $200 from a member on this site for a use (like new) putter.

I don't care what anybody says: "I know why people play Scotty Cameron". They are even better than what people say. Some of the people I play with will remark about the roll of the ball when I putt. Hitting your line is quite easy.

There is a Red X2 Scotty Cameron putter for sale on the Toronto Golf Nuts site for $150. So if you look you can find a quality putter for a reasonable price.

Golfer spend a lot more money on drivers (R7 for example) but very little on putter. For me they are both equally important. Why do so many tour player use Scotty Cameron putter. For the hype, I don't think so. It is because they are the best putters.

Good golfing... or good putting...

Lob Wedge cueball is on a distinguished road cueball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambokl
    Golfer spend a lot more money on drivers (R7 for example) but very little on putter. For me they are both equally important. Why do so many tour player use Scotty Cameron putter. For the hype, I don't think so. It is because they are the best putters.
    There is where a post should be centered around. $400 drivers or putters....which will make a bigger impact on your card. You hit a driver 10-14 times a round (or once in 72 holes if you want to win the British Open) but you hit your putter 28 to 36 times a round depending on the day and your game.

Where is the money better spent?

Will

I use to play an Odyssey putter. It was a good putter. Played it for 4 years. 2 years ago I bought a Red X2 centre shaft. Paid $200 from a member on this site for a use (like new) putter.

I don't care what anybody says: "I know why people play Scotty Cameron". They are even better than what people say. Some of the people I play with will remark about the roll of the ball when I putt. Hitting your line is quite easy.

There is a Red X2 Scotty Cameron putter for sale on the Toronto Golf Nuts site for $150. So if you look you can find a quality putter for a reasonable price.

Good golfing... or good putting...
    I don't even want to get into the "Tour players using them" because they are CUSTOM MADE for each player. They are NOT what you pick up off the shelf at GolfTown so your example is nullified by default. Perhaps you can say Cameron has the best custom shop for Tour players. I think that might be a more accurate statement.

Quote Originally Posted by cueball
    There is where a post should be centered around. $400 drivers or putters....which will make a bigger impact on your card. You hit a driver 10-14 times a round (or once in 72 holes if you want to win the British Open) but you hit your putter 28 to 36 times a round depending on the day and your game.

Where is the money better spent?

Will
    I'm pretty sure a lot of good putters could use a stick and be able to knock a putt in, that's where brand doesn't really matter.

You hit the ball OB or put yourself in a horrible situation from the get-go and one, your mindset for that hole is screwed, and two, you have to either hit three off the tee again, drop, lay up, or don't have a good look at the flag. I'm pretty sure crappy tee shots equate for more lost strokes than a putter does making a good driver which can cost a pretty penny more important than a putter in most cases.

EG,

I always argued that driving is probably the most important part of the game. But as you get better it becomes easier and you have bigger range of error. If the fairway is 40 yards wide I am confident I will hit the fairway.

When you are putting the margin error is like 0. The longer the putt the more precice you have to be.

I could probably drive with my 3 wood and my score would not change more. If I putt with a cheap putter, it would cost me 3 to 5 strokes a round.

Just my opinion...

PS: I still love long drives..... makes the game a lot easier. I love my R7...

CB,

I agree with you. That is why I buy used (like new) clubs and try to have the best.

R7 driver and SC putter...

EG,

I always argued that driving is probably the most important part of the game. But as you get better it becomes easier and you have bigger range of error. If the fairway is 40 yards wide I am confident I will hit the fairway.

When you are putting the margin error is like 0. The longer the putt the more precice you have to be.

I could probably drive with my 3 wood and my score would not change more. If I putt with a cheap putter, it would cost me 3 to 5 strokes a round.

Just my opinion...

PS: I still love long drives..... makes the game a lot easier. I love my R7...
    I still think no matter what, it's still the most important part of the game. Have a look at Mickelchoke. He couldn't hit his driver on the 18th and ended up in trouble. I'd probably wager people lose more strokes in general from a bad drive rather than a bad putt. I know my putting before this year was horrid but I could chip it close enough to be able to have a 2 footer instead of a long putt.

The putter doesn't make the golfer. I don't think if you putt with a $100 putter vs. a $400 putter you would lose 3 to 5 strokes a round. My buddy broke his putter the other day and putt with his driver and still made putts. He miss two or three that he might of made if he had his putter, but besides that, you can probably sink most 3 or 4 footers with a driver if you're already a good golfer.

CB,

I agree with you. That is why I buy used (like new) clubs and try to have the best.

R7 driver and SC putter...
    So those are the best in their respective categories why or says who?

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    I have a scotty mallet; I hate it.
    I have a Ping Anser 2i - I like it.
    I have a Scotty PP Somona ; I love it or hate it.

Sometimes I sink awesome 1 putts from far like a birdie I had today; but I also 4 putted a few times and a few 3 putts.

Frankly the best putting round I ever had was with the Ping; I just like the Ping (oddly enough) grip on my scotty and the length. I bought the Scotty the night after I putted awesome w/ my ping; I just saw it online and impulsively bought it. I've been using it ever since. In my opinion it doesn't matter what kind of putter you have once you get to a certain level of quality the rest is just skill.

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    I think the real reason Thotho started this thread was so he could see Edmonton golfer get all bent out of shape again and make it a personal vendetta to deter Scotty Cameron use for reasons unknown to all but himself???
    Last edited by dH; 07-26-2006 at 11:33 PM.

"Richard"
    No no, if I wnated to get people bent out of shape I would have started a tiger is the best golfer ever, or a micheele wie is the greatest golfer ever. I don't recall even seeing that other cameron thread until somene posted it. My only reason for posting this was to find out why people play cameron putters when I personally don't think there is anything special about it. Is it because they are a status symbol among golfers like the R7 driver is? Another question is, when you bought your cameron did you try all the putters that were similar to it in shape but only 1/2 the price?

I just can't tell the difference. To be completely honest, my set is what it is because people tell me on the range or at a course "nice sticks" and its a good feeling to have something other people don't have but might want for whatever reason. Its human nature. Sure, my RPM wood is nothing to write home about but the V2 shaft is a really topic started at the range. The adams 430q driver head gets a lot of looks and people are always asking me how it compares to the new r7 425 and I always say "much better, give it a rip if you like (if I've seen them hit a few balls already). Last year my set was a G5 driver, G5 3 and 5 wood, a cameron putter (red x) but then I came to my senses and said... what the hell am I doing? The 430Q is $100 on ebay, the adams fairway wood is only 20 bucks! hogan hybrids over the taylormade duals. I like my cheaper driver, fairway wood, putter, and hybrids more than there more expensive competitors. I had just started golfing and thought expensive was better, but that is obviously not the case. I had a 60 year old man mop the floor with me with the crappiest set (in toronto).

Anyway, enough about me. Are people who use camerons using them because it is actually the best putter out there for them? Just a question, I know some people boughtt hem because of he reasons mentioned about... I know I did that with many of my clubs. At some point I'm going to downgrade the Cg10s to something else and use the cash to take more lessons.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    . I had a 60 year old man mop the floor with me with the crappiest set (in toronto).
    Hey 'Dick' Have you ever beat anyone in a match in ANY city??? Looking forward to watching Bugsy and Little Brit show you what golf is all about

Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Thread Information