CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer
    Are you still a member?
    I left after 17 years of membership at Outaouais and joined Rivermead in 1980. I enjoyed my time at Outaouais, made a lot of golfng friends there, some of whom I still play with almost every week, even 35 years later. Passed through Carleton G &YC (7 years), Mississippi (12 years) and now Greensmere(5 years). Time to settle down.

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    I left after 17 years of membership at Outaouais and joined Rivermead in 1980. I enjoyed my time at Outaouais, made a lot of golfng friends there, some of whom I still play with almost every week, even 35 years later. Passed through Carleton G &YC (7 years), Mississippi (12 years) and now Greensmere(5 years). Time to settle down.
    Very nice. Makes perfect sense too since you're so close to the course.

Championship Cup Eldred is on a distinguished road Eldred's Avatar
    What are other benefits for being a member at clubs? We were joined by a member at Outaouais last year, he mentioned there's the Wednesday men's league. You get assigned to play with different four-some every week, at the end of the year there's a major tournament and winners get cash or reduce annual fees etc. The gentleman mentioned he'll also get good deal for his daughter's wedding there. I guess it's more social activities than just golf.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldred
    What are other benefits for being a member at clubs? We were joined by a member at Outaouais last year, he mentioned there's the Wednesday men's league. You get assigned to play with different four-some every week, at the end of the year there's a major tournament and winners get cash or reduce annual fees etc. The gentleman mentioned he'll also get good deal for his daughter's wedding there. I guess it's more social activities than just golf.
    Many benefits, some of which you've mentioned. If you find a course you won't get bored of, being a member is a very good experience in general. The atmosphere is always great.

2 Iron up&down is on a distinguished road

I paid $12,500 for a lifetime membership at Greensmere. ....

I will pay NOTHING further till the day I die, and receive 50% discount on power carts and a 25% discount on Pro shop purchases and all food, for life. ......
    Greensmeere is a great deal. Johny Green's son offered me the package 2 yrs ago at $17,000 and i was seriously considering it. I'm not sure if the deal is still on but i'm happy were iam at Mississppi, it cost me nearly $5,000 (3K initiation) the 1st year, however, with the many inter-club tournaments and great competition I ain't complaining. The club championship's 1st round was held yesterday and the leader is 71, followed by 2 72's and a 73. thats good golf

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by up&down
    Greensmeere is a great deal. Johny Green's son offered me the package 2 yrs ago at $17,000 and i was seriously considering it. I'm not sure if the deal is still on but i'm happy were iam at Mississppi, it cost me nearly $5,000 (3K initiation) the 1st year, however, with the many inter-club tournaments and great competition I ain't complaining. The club championship's 1st round was held yesterday and the leader is 71, followed by 2 72's and a 73. thats good golf

Mississippi is an awesome club! If I weren't in the east end, I would play it much more often.
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Indio
    Mississippi is an awesome club! If I weren't in the east end, I would play it much more often.
    Ummmmm...Isn't Mississippi in the West End?

yes, Indio simply resides in the East End. From the East end, it can take 45 min to 60min to Carleton Place depending on where you live

Yup, it is in the West, I am in the East, thus doin't get to play it often....

Yup, it is in the West, I am in the East, thus doin't get to play it often....
    I guess that makes sense...I used to live int the East end and drive to Rivermead every day though....It's not that bad a drive to the far Wes though. Don't be lazy! All you have to do is steer and push the pedal.

4Iron
    Quote Originally Posted by up&down
    Did you forget to mention that that price is for two people?

Quote Originally Posted by 4Iron
    Did you forget to mention that that price is for two people?
    are you talking about the 17K lifetime membership for Greensmeere or 5K (3K initiation and 1.7K annual dues) for mississippi??

4Iron
    I understand that a single membership at Mississippi is only 945$ with additional fees and taxes totalling approximately 1458$ per year and the Initiation is considerably lower than what you have quoted. I guess once you add in your share, you come pretty close. After the first year, you have a pretty good deal, for such a quality course.

After the first year, you have a pretty good deal, for such a quality course.
    yes you are right. the annual membership is under $1,000 but after the clubhouse fee, food bill, club storage, taxes it adds up It's a good deal in my eyes and it's one of the best keeped clubs in the ottawa valley

I understand that a single membership at Mississippi is only 945$ with additional fees and taxes totalling approximately 1458$ per year and the Initiation is considerably lower than what you have quoted. I guess once you add in your share, you come pretty close. After the first year, you have a pretty good deal, for such a quality course.

Mississippi for under $1K??????????? Your kidding! Then it is well worth the drive from the East End in my opinion. That is on old fashion ma & pa taken care of tyoe of golf course! Too bad the old club house burned down cause it had character

Mississippi for under $1K??????????? Too bad the old club house burned down cause it had character
    after the fee's, your looking at around $1.7K..Sad they lost everthing (history) in the old clubhouse

Pitching Wedge LHSteve is on a distinguished road LHSteve's Avatar
    Interesting discussion.

Being a Clublink member my vote would be to join Clublink. I was able to transfer my membership from Greyhawk to a course in London. Had I joined the other course I was considering I would have lost my initiation. Now that I have moved to Southwest Ontario I have an incredible selection of courses to play at all within an hour and a half drive.
    Having played Mississippi though, if I lived in the west end that is where I would join.

9 Iron Bisch is on a distinguished road
    I'm in the under 30 age group, and just bought a house 10-15 minutes from GreyHawk. I've been considering the option of joining clublink at GH. How is this particular course after 4-5pm during the week for speed of play? I've typically been a member at courses that I can breeze around after work and hardly see any traffic at all. I guess if GH has great practice facilities (as mentioned here) and it's not busy later in the day it'd be a great spot for me.

Hybrid clankoffdatee is on a distinguished road
    Mississippi for under $1K??????????? Your kidding! Then it is well worth the drive from the East End in my opinion. That is on old fashion ma & pa taken care of tyoe of golf course! Too bad the old club house burned down cause it had character

We need a course( good conditions,not overcrowded,well managed reasonably priced) like this in the East end. Its a beautie.

Personally, I have yet to find a course that fits the bill. I can't afford to join a elite club right now as I have three little ones under 6 @ home and nothing in the mid range is close enough to home. I want a decent course that isn"t overwhelmed with tournaments and overbooked with green fees. I am not a believer in the Clublink thing so they are out.Is anyone a member @ Emerald?

Albatross Smoothie is on a distinguished road Smoothie's Avatar
    Is there a website for Mississippi? I haven't heard of it and its not on Ottawagolf. Also did a quick Google and I got nothing...

Got My Card zoic is on a distinguished road zoic's Avatar
    No website that I could find, I think they prefer low profile semi private status and probably see no need since they have no trouble filling tee times. That is one very difficult course to get booked on. My brother tries about every week, still trying like 3 years later, very tough to get tee times.
    [COLOR=DarkRed]"Friends don't let friends use Internet Explorer"

[/COLOR]Kevin

Caddy jmr73 is on a distinguished road jmr73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bisch
    I'm in the under 30 age group, and just bought a house 10-15 minutes from GreyHawk. I've been considering the option of joining clublink at GH. How is this particular course after 4-5pm during the week for speed of play? I've typically been a member at courses that I can breeze around after work and hardly see any traffic at all. I guess if GH has great practice facilities (as mentioned here) and it's not busy later in the day it'd be a great spot for me.
    GH is surprisingly quiet on most evenings during the week. Apart from Thursdays (men's night), head out at 5:30 and you have the courses to yourself most of the summer. Very easy to tee-off at 6pm and get 18 holes in.

Pitching Wedge ShagBag is on a distinguished road ShagBag's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zoic
    No website that I could find, I think they prefer low profile semi private status and probably see no need since they have no trouble filling tee times. That is one very difficult course to get booked on. My brother tries about every week, still trying like 3 years later, very tough to get tee times.

Zo, I believe the "Miss" has a policy of non member cannot book more than 48 hours in advance to allow members first opportunity to play.
    Mondays are a slack day, and you can usually get a good time. I believe there is also a Monday deal on now, I don't know what it is, but no matter what, it is worth it. You have to be quick, because soon they will start their fall major course improvements.
    If you want info on the course, you just have to inquire at the pro-shop. they are quite helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by zoic
    I played there a few years ago and it was really nice. I was very impressed with the conditions.

Playing Winter Rules RBAKER is on a distinguished road RBAKER's Avatar
    Join the Greyhawk- Clublink- Great 2 Courses on the property, plus you can play 2 others in the Ottawa area, 3 in Montreal and 20 in Toronto.
    Membership- GlenCairn Golf Club

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    Mississippi .... is on old fashion ma & pa taken care of tyoe of golf course! Too bad the old club house burned down cause it had character
    It did. Plus rats in the basement, raccoons in the kitchen, chipmunks and squirrels running over your feet while you ate and wiring not up to code.

Having been a member there for 12 years, Mississippi is an enjoyable course to play day in, day out. Bill Hudson is an excellent superintendent whose mindset is always, "What can I do to make the course better?" and that is reflected in the constant but subtle changes that take place there every year.

The course is no pushover as it demands accurate tee shots and combined with its small greens, missing them leaves you with many tough up and downs. Unfortunately, poa annua has taken over most of the greens and unless they are cut short, the greens are often bumpy making the 4' putts for par, tough makes.

For the competitive golfer there are a host of valley teams that can be made, in addition to the Intersectional teams. The St. Lawrence, Gordon Cup, Ashley, and at least 3 others, depending on your level of play.

bbad

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by jmr73 View Post
    GH is surprisingly quiet on most evenings during the week. Apart from Thursdays (men's night), head out at 5:30 and you have the courses to yourself most of the summer. Very easy to tee-off at 6pm and get 18 holes in.
    I go there all the time after 4pm and you can EASILY get in 18 (even 27 if you walk fast enough) in the summer.

Practice facilities are good (although there are some grumplings about Mondays from the members).

Saturday and Sundays after 1pm is pretty much a non-issue. For some reason, the members there don't seem to like to play at that time....Works great for the guys who want to play then....

Actually, GH just announced to the members that they are putting in a brandnew clubhouse (with storage if rumours are to be believed), so joining now would be a good thing. Also, they are also putting in some major overhauls of the drainage on both Talon and Predator, so this will be a GREAT thing.

Hope this helps,

Gap Wedge Titleist Rules is on a distinguished road Titleist Rules's Avatar
    For a "little" extra cash.....the Marshes has to be right up there for memberships. Use of all the facilities and GPS carts not to mention the best course in Ottawa......
    Driver!!!

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    I think you would get a few arguments against the Marshes being the best course in Ottawa. I would have trouble putting it in my top five personally.

Gap Wedge Titleist Rules is on a distinguished road Titleist Rules's Avatar
    Sure, just like there would be a dozen people who don't like the course you think is the best....can't please everyone............
    Driver!!!

Thread Information