100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    3 Wood lastplace is on a distinguished road
    Couldn't agree more with Edmonton Golfer. I've played all the Club link courses in this area, and they are OK at best. Haute Plains is the nicest, with both at Greyhawk being boring tracks. I'll take my 5,500 and go join a nice private club and spend the rest on green fees.

As it is, I'll keep my 1800.00 green fees, 400.00 bar tab and stay at Outaouais. 27 great holes.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer
    $5500/year!!?? HOLY!!! You can get a membership at Rivermead for less than that a year and play every other private course in the region with signing priviledges. Yes you do pay a green fee that goes onto your home club bill, but we're talking top end private course here.

I dunno...$5500 seems a lot even if you can play a few different courses. If you want to factor in gas to drive the 1.5 hours we can do that too at 1.115/litre. I just don't think it's worth it.
    The yearly dues are currently $2750 plus GST, RCGA, QGA, etc. $3000 is a rounded number. Now I'm not familiar with the dues at Rivermead, but a previous post has that around $4000. Now Greyhawk is cheaper than that by at least $1000 if the taxes and all of the various fees, RCGA, prize funds, etc, are included in the price. And I'm sure that there is a food and beverage expense at Rivermead, and I'm sure that it is at least as high as the $600 I am paying at Greayhawk. Now I'm still saving $1000 on the yearly expenses by being a member at Greyhawk. And I bet the initiation at Rivermead is not free, but lets say that it is. Now, I'm paying about $950/year for my initiation fees at Greyhawk, which I have a couple more years to pay and then no more, so my yearly dues right now are comparable to what I would be paying at Rivermead if there is no initiation.

So from the sounds of it, there are some courses in Montreal that Rivermead has reciprocal agreements with, and a couple here in Ottawa. Sounds similar to what Greyhawk can offer in the area. So currently they stack up the same in terms of $$$ and course availability at this current time for me. So lets compare the courses. Greyhawk has two very nice courses that get better every year. Being only a few years old, Greyhawk will grow into one of the best 36 hole tracks in the Ottawa area in just a few more years. Rivermead has been around since 1910, so obviously the course conditions are more mature, so Rivermead has the upper hand there. Rivermead does only have 18 holes though.

So let's move forward. In a couple more years when my initiation is paid off, Greyhawk all of a sudden becomes $1000 cheaper for me than if I was a member of Rivermead. Clublink will also be extending the number of courses in the Ottaw/Montreal areas, which will present me with more opportunities to play. Golf holidays are a no brainer with Clublink as I have privileges in the Muskokas at Lake Joseph, Rocky Crest and the Mark O'Meara course at Grandview as well as National Pines which is closer to Barrie. We have never had an issue getting on these courses at times we were happy with.

And for another $500 a year, I am a member of Clubcorp, which gets me playing privilege in golf courses all over the US and the world. In the past year through this, I have played Firestone twice in Ohio, 2 courses in San Antonio, one twice, and 3 in the Orlando area for cart fees only. Should I get to Dallas, there are 12 courses there, 5 in Palm Desert, and a bunch in Austin including Barton Creek. Clubcorp also owns Pinehurst and we get excellent deals there. On those course, I also get complementary high-end rentals, Callaway, TM, etc., so I don't even have to take my clubs with me.

For me Clublink was and is the club to join for my lifestyle and golf habits.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

7 Iron albatrossman is on a distinguished road
    I have nothing against Clublink, but the courses they own right now in Ottawa do not offer an equivalent golfing experience to the finer private clubs in town. Since I believe you have to play 2/3 of your games at your home course as a member of Clublink, this would cause me a problem. Personally, I would not fork out a large initiation to Clublink in anticipation of them buying other courses in the area. Business plans often do not come to pass. This is just my $0.02.

Club link does have some fine properties, just no outstanding ones in this area. Had they bought eagle creek when they had the chance, we might be talking. For those in Ottawa, Rivermead is my choice, for those south, Rideau View and east Camelot. Big $ to get in, but WOW are these nice to play.

For those with smaller budgets (see me) Emerald links and Outaouais are nice.

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by albatrossman
    I have nothing against Clublink, but the courses they own right now in Ottawa do not offer an equivalent golfing experience to the finer private clubs in town. Since I believe you have to play 2/3 of your games at your home course as a member of Clublink, this would cause me a problem. Personally, I would not fork out a large initiation to Clublink in anticipation of them buying other courses in the area. Business plans often do not come to pass. This is just my $0.02.
    Exactly my point. Well said.

Of course members of Clublink will defend their purchase to their hearts' content, but really, you can't compare Greyhawk to Rivermead.

It's good how it the Clublink membership works for business people who travel, but you can have games arranged at private courses by your head pro if you're a member of a private course in a different city. I've done it more than once.

Golf Nut pvs1313 is on a distinguished road pvs1313's Avatar
    to each his own!

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    I am with "lastplace"--I have no membership at any course but have played
    Outaouis
    Nation
    Casselview
    Le Sorcier
    Renfrew
    Arnprior
    Hammond
    Chateau Champlain
    Mont Pellier
    Mountain Creek
    and its only the end of July---mostly good conditions--reasonably priced and most of all you meet the greatest people---"my name is Big Mac and this is my club!" I will add more -trust me.
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Actually there is no requirement to play any of your rounds at your home club. And comparing Rivermead, Rideauview or the Hunt to Greyhawk is comparing apples and oranges. The other courses are established courses that have been around for decades. Give the Clublink courses in the area to mature.

EdmontonGolfer, as for getting yourself onto private courses abroad, what are you paying for that? Full guest fees at 100+ per round? My total cost for two rounds at Firestone was about $30.00, two cart fees.

I've never played the Outaouais, but you can keep Emerald Links, even when I was a public golfer, that track was close to last on the list of places where I wanted to play.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Caddy jmr73 is on a distinguished road jmr73's Avatar
    Since I believe you have to play 2/3 of your games at your home course as a member of Clublink, this would cause me a problem.
    Not true. 25% at your home course. 75% in your home area (to stop members in Toronto from joining a Gold course in Ottawa/Mtl and then never playing that course)... they really don't enforce this rule anyway unless someone is really abusing it. The whole point of Clublink is to allow you to play the other courses. They are not trying to limit that.

Of course members of Clublink will defend their purchase to their hearts' content, but really, you can't compare Greyhawk to Rivermead.
    I don't think anyone is comparing Rivermead to GH course to course. I don't know Rivermead but I am sure it is a much better course than either Talon or Predator. There is no doubt that some of the other top private courses are better than the clublink properties. However, the clublink courses in Ottawa are in the top 10% of the courses in Ottawa. The fact that a membership at GH is a value compared to Rivermead and you get free access to a variety of courses instead of playing the same one over and over again is a plus for me.

You mention that at Rivermead you could get access to other private courses after paying a guest fee. This is most likely also the case for any member at most private courses (including GH).

Ummm...The majority of people don't travel across the Province to play at the other courses like you do. What does Ottawa have to offer in the ways of ClubLink that's better than having a membership at Eagle Creek or a private course?
    People in the GTA drive 45-60 minutes to go to their home course. Although it is not something you would do every other day, driiving 90 minutes to play Fontainebleau or Le Maitre is easily something you can do every couple of weeks. I don't travel to Toronto on business, but I try to get to Toronto and/or the muskokas once a year. I was there a few weeks ago and played as much golf as I could in a few days. The guest fees alone in 4 days of golf would have cost me over $800...and these were some of the nicest courses I have ever played.

on edit...
    When you start mentioning courses like
    Montpellier
    Renfrew
    Arnprior
    Casselview
    Nation

It is not that far a stretch to include the Mtl area courses. I could play the two I mentioned every weekend if I wanted. At $100 a round it would not take very long to get my value from my membership.
    Last edited by jmr73; 07-31-2006 at 09:37 AM.

Lob Wedge joelouispepsi is on a distinguished road
    It takes me 50 miniutes to drive to Eagle Creek. It takes me 90 minutes to drive to fountaine bleu. Both are great courses, I play Fountaine blue for free.

Greyhawk has two of the best courses in the region. Not the "best" but in the top 10 for sure.

I play for free there, Kanata and Haute Plaines. I drive 90 minutes to Tremblant or Fountaine Blue. I play for free in Toronto.

Initiation at the premier courses is $75,000. I expect top notch quality at these courses. At Greyhawk, you can negotiate and I bet you can get your initation ifor $7500. 10% of the $75,000 courses. Plus, i play the premium courses either for free or at a huge discount.

Clublink is the man. If you want a membership, consider it seriously!

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby
    EdmontonGolfer, as for getting yourself onto private courses abroad, what are you paying for that? Full guest fees at 100+ per round? My total cost for two rounds at Firestone was about $30.00, two cart fees.
    Colby, just curious, aside from paying the fee, do you actually have to ride the carts?

I ask, because I hate riding.

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent
    Colby, just curious, aside from paying the fee, do you actually have to ride the carts?

I ask, because I hate riding.
    I'm not sure, I never asked because I don't really care either way.
    Colby

8 Iron MrMulligan is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by lastplace
    Couldn't agree more with Edmonton Golfer. I've played all the Club link courses in this area, and they are OK at best. Haute Plains is the nicest, with both at Greyhawk being boring tracks. I'll take my 5,500 and go join a nice private club and spend the rest on green fees.

As it is, I'll keep my 1800.00 green fees, 400.00 bar tab and stay at Outaouais. 27 great holes.
    You're not paying much more than a Clublink member does by playing at Outaouais. If you had a chance to play Fontainbleau and/or Le Maitre you would never doubt the value of your membership in Clublink. Clublink has also made it a priority to expand the roster of courses in Eastern Ontario and Western Quebec so you can expect even more options in the coming years (Although if they wanted to dump Haute Plaines it would be a great idea!!)

I just returned from TO and played a number of golf courses there. While playing Glen Abbey we called the Linkline and booked another tee time for Caledon Woods for the afternoon - had no problem booking times at all. In fact we played 4 straight days on two different courses each day. I didn't have to pay any extra fees at all (aside from a piddly $55 at Glen Abbey). How good is that? 4 days - 8 rounds at courses that exceed anything here in Ottawa and the only money I had to pay $55.

I travel to Le Maitre 4-5 times a year and spend three days in one of the condos that line the golf course. It costs me and my wife $235 for 3 nights at the condos and NOTHING for the golf. We play at least 4 rounds during our stay. I don't see where any other membership can even compare to what Clublink offers.

I haven't even discussed the courses available to us in the Muskokas.

You can join courses like Rivermead, Rideauview, Emerald Links etc if you want but in regards to bang for the buck Clublink is beyond reproach.

The only problem with ClubLink is their website - it is horrible and a waste of pixels!!

I played Le Maitre a few years ago and agree that it is a beautiful course. However, the facts of the case are that Ottawa Clublink members make the case for joining Clublink based on plans for better Ottawa courses in the future or courses that exist elsewhere (Mont Tremblant, Muskokas, Toronto). For those of us that want to enjoy playing a traditional top-quality private club in Ottawa now, Clublink is probably not the best option. As far as out-of-town golf, my club has arranged reciprocal agreements so I can play at least two other clubs that have hosted the Canadian Open, and I could probably play almost any private course in the country using contacts. (Most of the contacts have come through belonging to private clubs.) In summary, Clublink may be an interesting option for those that travel extensively to Toronto or own a cottage in the Laurentians or Muskokas. For the rest of us, a private course is probably a more sensible option.

I played Le Maitre a few years ago and agree that it is a beautiful course. However, the facts of the case are that Ottawa Clublink members make the case for joining Clublink based on plans for better Ottawa courses in the future or courses that exist elsewhere (Mont Tremblant, Muskokas, Toronto). For those of us that want to enjoy playing a traditional top-quality private club in Ottawa now, Clublink is probably not the best option. As far as out-of-town golf, my club has arranged reciprocal agreements so I can play at least two other clubs that have hosted the Canadian Open, and I could probably play almost any private course in the country using contacts. (Most of the contacts have come through belonging to private clubs.) In summary, Clublink may be an interesting option for those that travel extensively to Toronto or own a cottage in the Laurentians or Muskokas. For the rest of us, a private course is probably a more sensible option.
    100% agreed!

8 Iron MrMulligan is on a distinguished road
    I think you're missing the point. There are 4 Clublink course in OTTAWA that you can play that all rank in or near the top ten of the region. On top of that, the Greyhawk course has one of the top practice facilities around. Both Talon and Predator are fun courses to play and offer quite a challenge if you play beyond the white tees.

Why would you tie yourself into a membership that allows you to play only one golf course when you could be playing a minimum four? I never bought into Clublink because they have planned on doing anything in the future (although the speculation is quite fun) - I bought into it because of the four courses that they currently have.

The fact that Clublink members can travel and play golf is just a pure bonus.

It may sound like I would like eveyone to have a Clublink membership but truth be told I prefer the membership where it is. I can get pretty much any tee time I want at any of the 4 Ottawa courses and I wouldn't want that to be compromised at all.

Go purchase your membership at a public course and deal with the Sunday hackers who take 10 minutes to find a golf ball. I'll just deal with my sub 4 hour rounds...

Got My Card zoic is on a distinguished road zoic's Avatar
    LOL, I was a lifetime member of Dome Hill before it went bankrupt. I am not really missing the point, just missing the money. My point of joining EL would be 3 fold

1. Affordable on my paltry income (think pauper here)
    2. Less than a 20 minute drive
    3. I really like the course

I am self employed, so I can pretty much pick my tee times, and even a 4.5 hour round is not bad, it is 4.5 hours I got to spend exercising instead of keyboarding. I often play later in the day and get around in 3.5 hours.
    [COLOR=DarkRed]"Friends don't let friends use Internet Explorer"

[/COLOR]Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by zoic
    LOL, I was a lifetime member of Dome Hill before it went bankrupt. I am not really missing the point, just missing the money. My point of joining EL would be 3 fold

1. Affordable on my paltry income (think pauper here)
    2. Less than a 20 minute drive
    3. I really like the course

I am self employed, so I can pretty much pick my tee times, and even a 4.5 hour round is not bad, it is 4.5 hours I got to spend exercising instead of keyboarding. I often play later in the day and get around in 3.5 hours.
    I guess in your case then, this is the best club for you to be a member at. My buddy joined there this year, but actually just left and joined Carleton because he really did not like the atmosphere or service there (EL)

As long as you're happy there, that's all that matters.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMulligan
    I think you're missing the point. There are 4 Clublink course in OTTAWA that you can play that all rank in or near the top ten of the region. On top of that, the Greyhawk course has one of the top practice facilities around. Both Talon and Predator are fun courses to play and offer quite a challenge if you play beyond the white tees.

Why would you tie yourself into a membership that allows you to play only one golf course when you could be playing a minimum four? I never bought into Clublink because they have planned on doing anything in the future (although the speculation is quite fun) - I bought into it because of the four courses that they currently have.

The fact that Clublink members can travel and play golf is just a pure bonus.

It may sound like I would like eveyone to have a Clublink membership but truth be told I prefer the membership where it is. I can get pretty much any tee time I want at any of the 4 Ottawa courses and I wouldn't want that to be compromised at all.

Go purchase your membership at a public course and deal with the Sunday hackers who take 10 minutes to find a golf ball. I'll just deal with my sub 4 hour rounds...

I think it is you who is missing the point. Just because people are saying that ClubLink is not for them does not mean (a) that they think Clublink is a stupid idea (b) that Clublink is a rip off or (c) that you or anyone else is foolish for being a member.

Lots of people cannot afford the high fees of Clublink. Does that mean Clublink's fees are unreasonable? Of course not - their fees are fantastic, in most cases. But just because something is a good deal does not mean that everyone can afford it. So some choose to buy a membership at one course. Do they get the variety of Clublink? No, but they don't pay for it, either.

Is Clublink a great option? Yes, for some people it is. Is it perfect? No. So please stop implying that (a) Clublink is perfect (b) other people are stupid not to be a member, and (c) that membership at less expensive courses is inherently plebeian.

In the words of Bob Dylan "You go your way and I'll go mine" - no need to cut down those who disagree with you or find the Clublink prices unaffordable.

Fairway Junkie Michael is on a distinguished road
    It all boils down to personal choice and what you are comfortable with and can afford. Different strokes for different folks definitely applies here.

Quote Originally Posted by jonf
    I think it is you who is missing the point. Just because people are saying that ClubLink is not for them does not mean (a) that they think Clublink is a stupid idea (b) that Clublink is a rip off or (c) that you or anyone else is foolish for being a member.
    I don’t think he was implying that at all.

The comparisons on this thread are out of whack.

No local clublink member is stating that our courses are equal to the highest end courses. But they are up there in the top 10 or so. I would much rather have access to 4 out of the top 10-15 then to have access to 1 out of the top 3 to play over and over again.

These 4 courses also great conditions most of the time (talon is the only exception this year), great service, great practice facilities (at GH at least), have quick pace (don’t compare to semi-private).

As far as exclusively private courses Clublink is one of the cheapest. You cannot compare to a semi-private course.

Quote Originally Posted by jonf
    Lots of people cannot afford the high fees of Clublink.
    Granted. But most of the discussion on this thread is basically saying why would you join clublink when you could join a high end private course? So these people could afford the fees at Clublink.

I don’t really think it is a fair comparison comparing the two. I can afford $3000 annuals at Clublink but I could not afford the same at another course. Since if I had the same annual dues at Rivermead for example, I would end up playing other local courses ($$) since I could not stick to a single course over and over. I would end up paying green fees when I travel ($$). My $3000 golf budget would end up being $4500. With Clublink, I know how much I will spend in the year and this will allow me to play variety at home + travel to some of the best courses in the country.

Clublink is like the Costco of golf. You might pay a little more for that 10L bottle of Mayonnaise that most people could not possibly eat... but for those who do… what a value. You are buying in bulk and if you use it all up it is a good deal if not, you wasted your money. If you join and only play your course then it is probably not worth it. This year, I have played about 12-15 great courses at no extra fee. Had I paid the guest fees it would have cost me just over $2900 so far (I keep track of it). This pretty much means that the rest of the year is free golf.

Birdie EO26 is on a distinguished road
    Does clublink offer a payment plan for the iniation fee ?

Quote Originally Posted by EO26
    Does clublink offer a payment plan for the iniation fee ?
    Yes, 6 years interest free. If you are under 40 then you get up to 4 extra years.

39 y.o. = 7 yrs
    38 y.o. = 8 yrs
    37 y.o. = 9 yrs
    <= 36 = 10 yrs

I am glad that this discussion is evolving in a positive direction. I think many public course golfers get in the habit of playing a variety of courses because most of the public courses are interesting enough to play on a regular basis. I think it is important to differentiate the average courses from the few high-end courses that challenge all aspects of your game and that you never tire of playing because the course is set up differently every time you play it. Some of the elements that I look for in a course as a traditionalist are excellence in design, tight fairways, punishing rough, tough fairway and greenside bunkers that come into play, challenging (but not mickey mouse) greens, good practice facilities, and overall well manicured conditions. Perhaps these elements are only appealing to those individuals who are perfectionists, but I really love the challenge of trying to improve my game and score on a course that challenges all aspects of my game. For those of you who have a similar personality, I suggest you look into joining a private club like Royal Ottawa, Rivermead, Rideau View or Ottawa Hunt. On the other hand, if you are the type of person who gets bored easily. then the variety that Clublink offers may be appealing.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    I personally am definitely considering joing clublink next year.

JOhn , you shoudl look into joining now then, they usually give a nice reduced rate for the last few months ( or did when i joined few years back) and then you can spread your payment over another year ( well depending how old you are)

and why not enjoy it now if you can

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Well i'm twenty seven now so the prospect of the 12,500 dollar initation fee over ten years isn't bad at all really. So i'm going to consider it seriously.

John,

The have an Intermediate, or whatever it is called, program. You may qualify for 15 years...
    Colby

yes, call john bodden at kanata and he will run through the hole process for you and give yo the details. I think you would qualify for maybe 13 years, but not sure

john woudl know

I think if a person starts a thread asking "Best club to be a member at", I'm not sure that variety would be a number one concern here. If you want to be a member at a club, odds are you're interested in finding a course that you can play all the time and love. SO, this question doesn't imply, "please tell me which membership I can get that I can play all kinds of courses with.", it implies "which course can I play that is always in great shape, has great service and facilities, and that I won't get tired of."

I'm pretty sure most people would venture to a private course or a high end public one like Eagle Creek, Emerald Links, Stonebridge, or Outaouais so they have a great course that is always in awesome shape and they won't second guess their membership.

Clublink is a good membership for those public course goers that are interested in keeping variety in their game and playing more than one course all the time. Most people who are venturing into the club membership category, don't have variety on top of their list obviously.

Thread Information