CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road

A Valuable Lesson Learned - Again!!

Played Greensmere black Tuesday and after 2 pars hooked a 6 iron left into the trees on #3, managed to make the fringe on the second and 4 putted for a triple!!!

What would your immediate reaction be? In my younger days (much younger) it would have been swearing and the banging or throwing of the putter. Mine was literally, "I'll be 1 over by 9 and even by 18." Actually, I was even by 9 and 1 under (71) by 18, by making birdies on 4,5,9 and 11, hitting 17 of 18 greens in regulation and not missing a shot. It was quite fun.

The key after the triple was returning to the use of a "Clear Key," a non-golf related, in my case a poem, thought, while I gripped, setup and swung. Doing so prevented my thinking about how I was going to swing, score, where the ball was going to go, the last shot, the triple on 3, or anything else, and allowed my subconscious golf swing to be used. My subconscious swing is the one I developed on the practice range by working on the appropriate drills and swing thoughts.

Interestingly, I explained the process to another golfer in the group, he tried it, and hit the ball much better than average after that. The only hiccup for him was when we played through a group on #10, while they were standing there watching. That anxiety overridded his clear key and produced a duck hook. At the end of the round though, he was smiling and very happy about how easy and relaxed his swing felt and how good his shots were, overall.

That triple was a wonderful reminder to me that you/I play best, when the mind is clear of swing wreckers like swing thoughts, anxiety, score, "think target," like stuff, and so on. The subconscious swing is obviously better than the conscious one, judging by the results.

www.clearkeygolf.com

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    Carey's a really good guy I had alot of email correspondance;I bought the book and I also paid for the "style test" which helped. Glad you mentioned it I was having mechanical problems so i kind of put the clearkey away for a while but I do make my best swings when I have a song or lyric in my head un golf related. It helps get rid of the "paralysis by analysis" because the golf swing is only as hard as you make it. That being said I can till quad bogey or par anygiven hole on any given day!

With my new swing I have to do the 32 ball rule a few times and it should be ok; thanks for reminding me I had kind forgotten about it as I originally was in contact w/ him a few months ago.

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    The only time to think is deciding what shot to make (and it should be a high percentage shot). After that, all you can do is swing the club to hit the ball, nothing more. Being a much inferior golfer than BC I can't even entertain thoughts about the score - like I am going to be able to "will" a better score!

I can get pretty ticked if I do something like BC did , but if I start to think "how I can get those strokes back", forget about it. My main focus has to be choosing the smart shot to hit and being confident in it. Then just go ahead an execute with no more thought. Unfortunately, I am not always able to do this (but it is getting better).

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    LOL! I think the #1 reason for making more mistakes or compounding them is trying that low precentage shot tha twill get back the shot you make a mistake on. If you just made an error the best bet is to take the percentage and get back on track... I find when I"m "Making up" I'm really "losing"

"Richard"
    I'm going to use that... my clear key will be a relgious hindu song

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Seems worth a shot. I always find myself singing a song in my head as I hit ( I actually tend to do it whenever I played sports). Its almost a habit with me - I played goalie for years in hockey, so when my team didn't suck, I had lots of time to chill out on my own in my end - I would find myself singing the whole game - often out loud. I do it pretty much whenever I play sports now. It seems that it might be a better idea, at least for golf, to pick one song or one lyric and repeat that over and over.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by byerxa
    The only time to think is deciding what shot to make (and it should be a high percentage shot). After that, all you can do is swing the club to hit the ball, nothing more. Being a much inferior golfer than BC I can't even entertain thoughts about the score - like I am going to be able to "will" a better score!

I can get pretty ticked if I do something like BC did , but if I start to think "how I can get those strokes back", forget about it. My main focus has to be choosing the smart shot to hit and being confident in it. Then just go ahead an execute with no more thought. Unfortunately, I am not always able to do this (but it is getting better).
    Jeepers!! Lanny Wadkins can will the ball into the hole. Why can't you?

Both you an dH have discovered one of the "secrets" to better golf and I hope you have continued success with this kind of approach.

Those that persist in using "swing thoughts" have less chance of success and those who think it's the clubs -

Got My Card zoic is on a distinguished road zoic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf
    It seems that it might be a better idea, at least for golf, to pick one song or one lyric and repeat that over and over.
    LOL, yeah as long as it not Phil Collins, ..... "I missed again" .....

[COLOR=DarkRed]"Friends don't let friends use Internet Explorer"

[/COLOR]Kevin

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    I'm going to use that... my clear key will be a relgious hindu song
    you better be praying the way you swing

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    The exact same thing happenned to me tonight. I wasn't doing too bad when I put at least 3 balls into the drink (i may have repressed the 4th) on the 4th at Champlain. I got really upset and ended up shooting a 49, oh wait my story is a little different lol.

Thread Information