CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hottest ball

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar

Question Hottest ball

After Phil's claim yesterday about outdriving Tiger what is in your honest opinion the best ball out there distance wise?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/gol...phil_tiger_ap/
    Last edited by Chieflongtee; 02-06-2003 at 08:21 AM.

Sand Wedge RU418 is on a distinguished road

Question Hottest Ball

No question. It's always going to be the ball that you can hit the farthest on a given day.
    Tee it up, knock it down the middle.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar

Lightbulb given day

I am getting a taste of my own medicine here.
    I meant Titleist ProV, Pinnacle, Topflite etc..

Hopelessly Addicted fireice is on a distinguished road fireice's Avatar
    ProV just look at http://www.titleist.com/ and see there record in 2003 these guys are hitting it longer, setting up better scoring, and lots of wins.

I Just Won't Leave big easy is on a distinguished road

Thumbs up

Personally, I do prefer the ProV* instead of the normal ProV. My personal experience is that it makes really a difference. I tend to hit the ball with a better flight (especially off my driver). With the normal ProV, it has the tendancy to "balloon" a little bit more. Off my irons, I don't see much difference and the spin on the green is almost the same.

The biggest challenge with new balls is around the greens. I was used to play balls like Titleist Professional, Tour Balata or Tour Prestige before (very soft balls). Chipping was easier on short lob shots coming out from the side of the green. But, I have to admit that with new ProV*, on longer chip shot (30 feet with a 9 or 8 iron), the reaction of the ball is "truer" (not surprised by a big stop after two or three bounces).

The only problem is that they are a little bit pricey. High end balls cost about 60-70$/dozen. But, it worth any dollars because I found other ball really inconsistent in tems of distance off the irons. A 10 yards difference can put you in a lot of trouble (too long or too short).

Hottest balls: Hogan, Titleit ProV*, Maxfli Revolution (both normal or solid), Strata Professional and Callaway Rule 35 (blue).

For André: Pinnacle Extra Extra Distance... just kidding!

8 Iron RobC is on a distinguished road
    The ProVs carry really well but as you say they're pricy. I've found the Titleist NXTs (For some reason I seem to get more distance from the Tour model than from the Distance model) a good combination of price/performance ($40 new a dozen, or pretty cheap in used but mint condition at www.knetgolf.com.) Once you've hit these lower compression balls, you'll find they carry well, and stop faster if you can't put backspin on the ball with a short iron. Makes it next to impossible to use the older style, harder balls. Now a question: XL2000s are really hard. Has anyone tried the XL3000?

Sand Wedge RU418 is on a distinguished road

Thumbs up XL3000

For the price, one of the better balls.

There are 4 models I think. I had a lot of distance from the Extra Long and it didn't seem to be a rock to hit and putt.
    Tee it up, knock it down the middle.

8 Iron Pops is on a distinguished road Pops's Avatar

Hottest balls

For the price I like the strata professional distance. Best all round for distance without sacrificing too much feel around the green.
    Around $34/Doz

Andru

Wait and see

Hold on it's too early to tell. Wait till the stats come out at the end of the golf season. Titleist stats are misleading. They are by far the most played ball on tour(Which in itself is not misleading).

It's the percentage of players playing titleist who have gained vs. the percentage of say, nike or strata players who have.

It's not helping Brad Faxon

I play the regular Pro V1. The longest ball I played last summer was the Nike TA DD. Awesome. I wish it had a little more spin.

Cheers

Lob Wedge lazzal is on a distinguished road

"Best" ball??

For a slow to medium swinger, apparently the multi-layer ball is the best one to use---I am not sure which one's those are, but here is an article about balls--

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.bs-sports.co.jp/english/s...of_ball_7.html
    lazzal

Thread Information