CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road

My Rant For The Week---DIVOTS

Ok this might not pertain to you, but it pertains to a lot of golfers in general.
    How many times have you hit the perfect driver, long & straight and walked to your ball to find it in an old DIVOT?

I had that happen to me on Saturday and I was hacked. My course is a public course and divots and ball marks are every where.

I asked our Super if he would mind if I went around and filled in divots today. It gave me something to do since I am not back to work yet. Total time was 2 hours, a good investment into my future tee shots!

Well it took 3/4's of a GRABAGE CAN of top soil and seed to fill in the divots on 12 holes (there is 6 par 3's on this course) That is a lot of top soil when you are talking about filling in just divots.

Why do golfers not replace divots? I mean come on folks you stood there and swung at the ball and took the divot out with your iron. Why not walk a few feet, pick it up and out it back down? Is it because you think it will not regrow? Well it will if you replace it right then and there. Or is it simply because you are too lazy and think "Well I won't have to worry, my ball won't end up here again" Duhhhhhhhhhh, it was there this time around wasn't it? Could it not be there during your next round? Or if it is do you just say "I ain't playing out of some jerks old divot" and then you tip it?

Then there is the golfer who takes 4 practice swings, and takes a pelt out each time. Then hits the shot and away they go down the fairway, leaving 5 DIVOTS behind them. I saw that a couple of times today, and I just knew what had happened there.

What you might not realize is this, if that divot is left untouched sooner or later weeds will sprout from it. Trust me, I saw many spots on the fairways today that had weeds, and I could tell that is where an old divot was. The Super said the same thing, weeds grow in the old unfilled divots.

You might think every course has the funds to pay someone to drive around and fill divots three times a week. Well guess what folks, most do not.

So take the time to replace your divots. If you are in a cart that is equipped with the little seed bucket, USE IT.

Show some respect for the course, and your fellow golfers. It really is not a big deal to replace a divot, or repair your ball mark, and a couple of others while you are at it.

Ok that is my rant for the week, I feel better now
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Got My Card zoic is on a distinguished road zoic's Avatar
    Good post, it is sad to see people walk away from a small carpet instead of replacing it.

I do not take a divot as a rule, so I definitely do not play it out of one.

Tippit
    [COLOR=DarkRed]"Friends don't let friends use Internet Explorer"

[/COLOR]Kevin

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Courses should recruit volunteers from their membership to cruise around & fix ball marks & divots. I'd do it occasionally if asked. Especially if they'd give me a cart & a beer!

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I once fixed 23 pitch marks at Manderley on N3 while we hung out with no place to go and nobody behind us. My personal best!

If only more GF players cared!

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    I have a question to pose...what do you do when your divot disintegrates into many pieces (I never take one big slab...it always disintegrates on me). I always try to find the biggest bit (usually tends to fill about half the divot), but after that its next to impossible to properly fill the divot. What is the best way to deal with this type of divot?

4 Iron DewDuster is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf
    I have a question to pose...what do you do when your divot disintegrates into many pieces (I never take one big slab...it always disintegrates on me). I always try to find the biggest bit (usually tends to fill about half the divot), but after that its next to impossible to properly fill the divot. What is the best way to deal with this type of divot?
    If you have a pull cart or power cart, you should have a bottle of sand with you and just fill the divot with sand. Same thing if your divot is really shallow (no roots) replacing it is futile as it will just die anyways. If you carry, some courses actually have sand boxes out in the fairways. I have only seen this on rare occasions.

Another reason to replace divots, they damage the mowers.

Other than that, it's up to the course crew to fill in the divots that golfer have not replaced or filled in for whatever reason.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Okay...so then should I just leave it unfilled? What is best for the course? I carry and so I don't have the bottle of sand (and most of my divots are very shallow).

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    a) bring your own sand
    b) sak someone there for some sand
    c) don't bother doing anything
    d) start taking deeper divots and replace them.

Quote Originally Posted by dH
    a) bring your own sand
    b) sak someone there for some sand
    c) don't bother doing anything
    d) start taking deeper divots and replace them.
    I dunno if kicking someone in the junk is the best course of action.. j\k

I can agree with Rick.. We have a fair share of chops out there that don't care about the rules of golf, much less know the ettiquite of fixing ballmarks.. You did a good deed, Rick. Unlike Jon, I must admit I would have hit into you.

Like you said.. It takes SECONDS to get it done.. Take the effort!

I am going to rig something up for my cart to carry some soil/seed in, hang it off the cart.

Some of the divots I filled today looked like a bomb was dropped there. I mean some were 2-3 inches DEEP.

I can understand if your divot is shreaded and you can not replace it. But when you leave a BEAVER PELT laying a foot in front of where you hit that shot from, sorry there is no excuse for that.

At one time our club had a list of members posted on the members board, and every one of us had a green we were to fix ball marks on. You would be suprised how well that little program worked. New owners must have decided that was not a good idea.

I actually talked to our Super today about having a "MEMBERS WORK DAY AT THE COURSE" He said he was all for that, but most people would want to know what they are going to get out of it. Free beer, food, some would not do any work for free. I look at is this way. If we all volunteered one day a year towards course work it might help keep our dues down the following year. Plus it just helps make the course a better place to play golf at.

Bottom line is this: Show some pride in the courses you play, even if you are not a member. Show some pride as a golfer who really cares about the courses you play on. If someone sees you fixing ballmarks or divots then maybe they will follow along.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by M_Portiss
    I dunno if kicking someone in the junk is the best course of action.. j\k
    I think DH meant to Ask someone for some sand, not SAK someone Then again, maybe not

I can agree with Rick.. We have a fair share of chops out there that don't care about the rules of golf, much less know the ettiquite of fixing ballmarks.. You did a good deed, Rick. Unlike Jon, I must admit I would have hit into you.

Unlike Jon you would have been looking for a LOST BALL

Like you said.. It takes SECONDS to get it done.. Take the effort!

I think the bottom line here is, too many new golfers who have not been taught the ettiquite of the game. I am not saying all new golfers are like that, and I am not saying all experienced golfers are the greatest either. Just take the time to at least try to do something, that is all we ask.
    Last edited by Golfbum; 07-25-2006 at 04:15 PM.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    "golfbum" is right-take the time it might be habit forming. In the "good ole days" you would be surprised how often I used to adjust the reels on our mowers from the sand being ground between the blade and the ground plate; and this also happens on the greens when ball marks are not repaired properly. Lately there has been a lot of complaining in the forum concerning slow play, bad marshalls, poor conditions etc (and I am one)---perhaps if we saw this being done and informed people (politely) on what to do we might see a change.

Amateur BullDog is on a distinguished road BullDog's Avatar
    I always replace my divots. While I'm technically not a member at Mountain Creek, I play lots if not most of my golf there. Every time I come across a tee deck with a bucket of sand and seed, I spend the time waiting for the group ahead to clear filling up every divot I can. Most of the time I do this, if not playing with family, I'm (just about) ridiculed by those I play with. They don't get it. I always say that if every group that passed by that hole filled one divot, I wouldn't be needed anymore. They look at me quizzically.

What really irks me is the morons that use those buckets as cigarette butt disposal receptacles, broken tee holders or garbage cans.

Idiots.

6 Iron Rustydog is on a distinguished road

Divots

I'm glad this thread is taking place as I think it would not happen to the same extent 10 years ago. I'm appalled that people don't replace thier divots any more, even some I play with. I often replace some made by guys I'm playing with, or just replace divots as I'm walking to my next shot. It is quite sad, and not just a reflection of lazy golfers.

Got My Card zoic is on a distinguished road zoic's Avatar
    It is not just laziness, some people genuinely believe that it will not help, and it is better to fill it with sand only, I know a few like that myself. Unfortunately, they expect the course to do the filling in for them.
    [COLOR=DarkRed]"Friends don't let friends use Internet Explorer"

[/COLOR]Kevin

Here is a little trick I use for non divot repair people. If they take some sod out, I walk to the divot, pick it up and toss it back at their feet. They usually get the hint! For ball marks, fix theirs and say "I got your ball mark this time" Sooner or later they have to clue in to the big picture

Did you know that for years Jack Nicklaus tried to get the PGA and USGA to classify freshly filled divots as Ground Under Repair? Of course he did not get anywhere with that, but in fact he is correct. That ground has been repaired (OK maybe it hasn't) and he thought you should be entitled to relief.

Championship Cup Eldred is on a distinguished road Eldred's Avatar
    One of the course that been abused more by golfers is Stonebridge. Fresh divots the size of beaver tails were scatered like roadkills all over fairways.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I couldn't agree more with the sympathies expressed in this thread. There is no excuse - none whatsoever - for golfer not replacing their divots or repairing ball marks on the greens. The only reason for not doing so is ignorance or laziness. For the most part, anyone who has played even a few games of golf knows enough what his duties are on the course. Ignorance, then, is not a significant factor. Laziness or, better yet, callous disrgard for the course and its players is a big problem. For my part, I believe that fellow golfers should help rehabilitate those who fail to do that which is required of them. There are a number of ways to do this. Setting the right example is a good first step. Replacing one's divots and others (if time allows) is a good strategy. So too is fixing ball marks on the greens. This should be followed by gentle reminders to those who don't seem to get it. If that doesn't work, then I have found that more explicit statements of one's duties sometimes helps. Last, but not least, and only if all of the others fail to get results, tossing the divot back to the player while announcing: "Don't worry, I've got your divot. Here it is." usually works. The latter approach must be used carefully. I hit a fellow in the chest with his divot once. He wasn't amused, although I admit to experiencing a perverse pleasure in knowing that the damage he was causing to the course had come back to mar the beauty of his white golf shirt.

Birdie g8r is on a distinguished road
    Arent there some types of grass that will not grow back if you replace the divot?

You often see that dead beaver pelt so nicely placed back over a divot, but the grass never comes back...I also remember that some courses in Myrtle Beach ask you to NOT replace your divots and just use the sand/seed mixture instead b/c the grass won't grow back.

I Just Won't Leave big easy is on a distinguished road
    I'm not implying that there is no need to replace divots but I'm pretty sure I heard that the rule will change next year so that a player doesn't have to play from a divot (free drop). This is of course only relevant if you play summer rules. Did anybody else hear the same change to the rules?

1 Iron B Nation is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by g8r
    Arent there some types of grass that will not grow back if you replace the divot?

You often see that dead beaver pelt so nicely placed back over a divot, but the grass never comes back...I also remember that some courses in Myrtle Beach ask you to NOT replace your divots and just use the sand/seed mixture instead b/c the grass won't grow back.
    I've heard the same thing. When the divot is too shallow you are better off just using the sand seed mix if available.

I take a piece of ground with pretty much every shot. When I come in shallow though sometimes I'll just spray turf everywhere. Trying to replace your divot with multiple pieces of turf that has been scattered definitely does not help the course.

Also someone mentioned fixing "multiple" divots on the course, I would only recommend fixing your own divot. Putting a 1/2 dead pelt on top of some bare spot on the fairway won't help anything.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by g8r
    I also remember that some courses in Myrtle Beach ask you to NOT replace your divots and just use the sand/seed mixture instead b/c the grass won't grow back.
    There are many courses around Ottawa e.g. (Hunt Club , Rideauview) that also ask that you not replace divots and provide sand/seed filler.

Quote Originally Posted by big easy
    I'm pretty sure I heard that the rule will change next year so that a player doesn't have to play from a divot (free drop). This is of course only relevant if you play summer rules. Did anybody else hear the same change to the rules?
    I didn't hear anything about this but I'm all for it. Of all the dumb golf rules, this one is the dumbest.
    Last edited by Shivas Irons; 07-26-2006 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons
    There are many courses around Ottawa e.g. (Hunt Club , Rideauview) that also ask that you not replace divots and provide sand/seed filler.
    Don't know about Rideauview, but this is not true at Hunt Club. It is stated by the greenskeeper very clearly that if the divot still has roots, it should be replaced.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    A good friend worked on the grounds crew of a very exclusive club and they were told not to replace divots, just to fill them with sand. Actually the divots rarely bother me it's the ball marks that make me mental. I will say that there seems to be a significant decrease this year in ball marks that have to be repaired when I am on a green.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DewDuster
    Don't know about Rideauview, but this is not true at Hunt Club. It is stated by the greenskeeper very clearly that if the divot still has roots, it should be replaced.
    Repalce only divots with roots remaining? Uh...okay.
    Dewduster - every time I have played Hunt Club I have been given a sand/seed mixture and didn't receive a briefing from the greenskeeper before the round about divot replacement.
    When you play Hunt Club do you not get a seed/sand mixture ?

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    People who dont replace divitgs are the type that if there balls goes into a divot just remove it an say "it was in a divot"

Also how do you hit out of a divot if it's downhill and our ball si just in the back of the divot but in? I assume you have to hit down more I tried yesterday and caught the top of the ball it went dead left?

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Let me preface this with the comment that I am a firm believer in replacing your divots and repairing your ball marks on the green

But having said that, today's reality is that there are more and more 'occasional' golfers teeing it up for the first time and they have not been 'schooled' in the are of course maintenance. The courses that are especially bad for this are public courses or semi private that have a heavy fee clientel. This isn't an excuse and I am not saying I condone it, but it is reality.

When I play with an 'occasional' golfer, I do like golfbum and pick the beaver pelt up and throw it back to them with a comment like 'here, put this back and step on it just incase you are consistent and hit the same spot the next time you golf here'

Golf is not what it used to be. The so called 'Gentleman's Sport' has become a huge recreational activity for family and just about anyone. With the explosion of the sport, comes the negative aspect for the golf clubs, lower membershîp, high course maintenance and the competition with the multitude of courses vying for the limited golf $$$ available to be had.

Just my 2˘
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons
    Repalce only divots with roots remaining? Uh...okay.
    Dewduster - every time I have played Hunt Club I have been given a sand/seed mixture and didn't receive a briefing from the greenskeeper before the round about divot replacement.
    When you play Hunt Club do you not get a seed/sand mixture ?
    What I mean by roots, is if the divot is basically intact and not shallow or broken up.

Yes, I grab a bottle of sand/seed at the beginning of every round. Using sand is obviously better than doing nothing, but the preference is to replace the divot if possible.

Here's the wording directly from the greenskeeper in a recent newsletter.

"On a similar note, divots have a better chance from where they came than they do upside down in the middle of the fairway. Please replace your divot, if you have a see/soil bottle with you, top off the replaced divot if necessary."

Have you had a chance to play this season at the Hunt? It is in great shape.

Quote Originally Posted by DewDuster
    Have you had a chance to play this season at the Hunt? It is in great shape.
    I haven't played it yet this year, but my in-laws are members there and have also said it's in fantastic shape. Hopefully they'll bring me out soon!

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    A neat little trick is to drop your club at your divot hole before retrieving your divot. Those suckers can travel a long way at times and at least you'll know which hole will match up to your divotNeedless to say if it's raining use a tee to mark your divot hole not your club, crazy to get your grips wet!!!
    Last edited by ironmaster15213; 07-27-2006 at 03:36 PM.

Thread Information