CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Got My Card zoic is on a distinguished road zoic's Avatar

Dear Marshall - we like it in ....

I have to pass this on, it was kind of irritating really, but I missed my chance to have my say, since I did not get it at first.

Played today at Loch March with Wilster and psniddy. Arriving on the 10th tee after finishing the front 9 we look out and begin discussing how far to the water.

Marshall looks over and says, that 210 guys (he meant 2:10). I replied OK, thank you, since thought he meant to the water. I was sure it was 250, but I already knew I was using a 5W either way, straight and safe.
    Marshall looks at me a little funny after a reply and says "we like in 2". Again, misunderstanding I thought he meant they ilke it if people go for the far fairway in two, not trying for it one, since the other guys were talking about trying to drive it. At this point I am thinking why is this guy trying to tell me how to play me game anyway, so I just smile and say sure.

So we hit, and moving on Wilster starts talking about the Marshall's comment, at which point I realize that he meant time as in "we like it if you finish the 9 in 2 hours. !!???

So if only I would have not misunderstood, I simply would have replied something like, well the green fees are $65, but we like it at $50 hahahahaha

Hello, anyone home?
    [COLOR=DarkRed]"Friends don't let friends use Internet Explorer"

[/COLOR]Kevin

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Oh and by the way , no one was behind us or in front of us , i timed our 18 at just over 4 hrs.
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar

Crap

He could have just as well said that you were behind the recommended time but that it was not a problem but if you saw another group in the next few holes catching up to pick up the pace.

I rather hear a marshall be on top of the pace than do absolutuely nothing about slow play. At least you know where to go when it is busy, this marshall will likely be on top of any slow players.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Caddy jmr73 is on a distinguished road jmr73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas
    I rather hear a marshall be on top of the pace than do absolutuely nothing about slow play. At least you know where to go when it is busy, this marshall will likely be on top of any slow players.
    I agree. Too many people think that no one is behind us so I can play as slow as I want. Problem is that by the time the group behind catches up it is too late. Worry about the group in front and keeping up with them and not the one behind.

The other problem is people that think I paid my $65 so I can take as long as I want. 2:10 when the pace should be 2:00 does not seem like much but an extra 20 minutes to a round can really mess things up for the whole day.

I am glad to hear the marshall in question was doing his job.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jmr73
    I agree. Too many people think that no one is behind us so I can play as slow as I want. Problem is that by the time the group behind catches up it is too late. Worry about the group in front and keeping up with them and not the one behind.

The other problem is people that think I paid my $65 so I can take as long as I want. 2:10 when the pace should be 2:00 does not seem like much but an extra 20 minutes to a round can really mess things up for the whole day.

I am glad to hear the marshall in question was doing his job.
    First of all , we weren't playing slow
    Second , we've all played golf before and we know how the game works
    Third, if they want us to play in 2 hrs per side that's fine , but let us know before hand ,and don't hit us with a snidey remark after 9 for no apparent reason.
    "Doing his job" maybe , but not doing it very well!
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

In the Zone psniddy is on a distinguished road
    Funny but there was no group in front to keep u to and th group that was behind us had last been seen 2 holes behind.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Marshalling is a thankless job.

It does not sound like he was being rude. Just letting you know about the standard at Loch March. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    OH OH--here we go again--as far as I am concerned the marshall should have kept his mouth shut---there was no need to say anything as there was no one in front and more importantly---NO ONE IN BACK---sometimes you give someone authority and they think they are "god"--give me a break! Like "wilster" said -we know how the game works--you get in a rythm and you play--any regulation course: carts or walking for a foursome 4hrs20 to 4hrs40--just my opinion.

5 Iron Rick is on a distinguished road
    there's nothing wrong with playing a 9 at loch march in 2:10. That's a good pace and it's not exactly an easy course. Normally I find the marshals there quite good so that seems a little weird especially with no one behind you. Maybe he was having a bad day.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    OH OH--here we go again--as far as I am concerned the Marshall should have kept his mouth shut
    Perhaps that's true, I wasn't there. On the other hand how many times do we hear complaints that the Marshall's do nothing but hawk balls? From the description given there was a misunderstanding. All the Marshall said was "we like in 2" I guess you thought that was overly aggressive on his part.

Dan, you make an excellent point, and I am sorry if I caused the pot to be stirred. I am probably one of the fastest ready golf players out there, so I continually wait with patience for slow players round after round. Perhaps that left me a tad sensitive, since I am not seeing many marshalls speak up when there actually is slow play.

[/COLOR]Kevin

I was not there either--all I was saying was that "why did he have to say anything at all?" obviously he was trying to display his authority. For "me" personally, playing at the proper rate of play I dont need someone watching over my shoulder; and quite frankly it does imtimidate some people. If you have read me before you know I hate unnecessary slow play---there are decent marshalls and there are those looking for free golf--I think we can all judge.

Sorry I jumped Kevin--you are exactly right. I did not want to stir the pot either--too bad I am a slow typer.

NP, I guess it is expected to hear stories leaning towards negative usually. We had a push from a marshall golfing in the heavy rain a few weeks back. We were standing in the pouring rain, waiting for the group to clear the green, and he says we are falling behind. Crazy man, left a burr in my bonnet I think.

One thing to report the positive, at Manderley I felt like a king, and we had some good friendly conversation with the marshalls at many points. They have a good bunch there, always friendly and helpful. When it is slow, it is slow, they try their best to let you know in advance, and I suspect they prod some of the slower players to pick it up from time to time, comes with territory.

[/COLOR]Kevin

Caddy jmr73 is on a distinguished road jmr73's Avatar
    Why is it that golfers take such offence to the marshall asking you to pick up the pace. Just play a little quicker. It is his job to get you moving quicker if you are behind. Whether it is 10 minutes or 1 minute behind pace. It does not sound that he was rude to you. Just that he stated you were 10 min. off the clock.

Quote Originally Posted by zoic
    One thing to report the positive, at Manderley I felt like a king, and we had some good friendly conversation with the marshalls at many points. They have a good bunch there, always friendly and helpful. When it is slow, it is slow, they try their best to let you know in advance, and I suspect they prod some of the slower players to pick it up from time to time, comes with territory.
    Who cares about friendly conversation with the marshalls if you are playing a 6 hour round. I would ask him to stop talking to me and fix the problem. I don't want him to let me know it is slow... I can tell that myself. Fix the problem!
    Last edited by jmr73; 07-21-2006 at 06:58 PM.

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jmr73
    Why is it that golfers take such offence to the marshall asking you to pick up the pace. Just play a little quicker.
    Because slow players do not thnik that they are slow....that's why... they think they think they are fast.. slow players are slow for a reason :: they do not know how to play quicker. Unless someone tells them they will never speed up. Trust me....

In the Zone psniddy is on a distinguished road
    AS far as the marshaling went today I don't think it was so much what was said but the timimg and tone of the comment. I like marshalls who say if you are playing slow even if it's not holding up play but he had plenty of oppertunity before we got to the tee. We passed him going to the 10th didn't stop in for anything at the half way house. Why wait until we are on the tee ready to shoot before he says anything?

Driver Adska is on a distinguished road
    That guy is a total clown if he gave you a comment for playing in 2:10.

At our course, anything under 2:15 is considered perfect playing pace for 9 holes. Were you guys walking or riding? I walked in a foursome at Loch Marchon Thursday, and we finished in 4:15. I would have laughed in the guys face if they would have said anything to us.

That being said, anything over 4:30 is completely unacceptable... It's a very fine line with pace of play.

3 Iron whatsup is on a distinguished road
    I had the same problem at Loch March (love the course BTW). We were a twosome and it must have been a slow day at the course because when we teed off there was no one in front of us. We get to the second hole (we both pared the 1st hole) and the marshall is hanging out by the green. My buddy lands it 10 feet from the pin and I manage to hit the green. The marshall drives over to us as we were walking up to the green, I thought he was going to congratulate my buddy on a nice shot, instead, he stops us and says "make sure you guys keep a good pace today". Is the comment offensive...no, his job is to keep a good pace on the course. Is his comment neccessary.....absolutely not . For the next couple of holes it burned us that he made that comment, especially to a twosome. Now when someone asks me if Loch March is a good course, this is the first thing that comes to mind even though it is a great course, great staff and I never have had a problem there before. I will be going back because I completely understand that it is just one marshall but I agree that some marshalls may just need to understand where the fine line is.

3 Wood cruxradio is on a distinguished road
    Telling a twosome to "keep good pace today" is stupidity.
    4:20 round is perfectly fine and normal.. particular for a 4some!

Like they say--one bad apple; or in this case "one bad marshall sure makes for a lousey posse"

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    I'll add a little humour to this thread...

We were on the 6th green at Cloverdale yesterday and a player was lining up his putt. There was a marshall sitting in his cart up the hill on the side of the fairway, probably 100 yards away looking down at us. So, it is a nice and quiet, birds are chirping and then suddenly, out of nowhere, the marshall let's a out big fart.

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cruxradio
    Telling a twosome to "keep good pace today" is stupidity.
    4:20 round is perfectly fine and normal.. particular for a 4some!
    For Loch March, it's fantastic!! It usually takes nearly 5 hours on weekends. I'm glad their Marshalls are stepping up.

I've played it alone (walking) in 2:45 a couple of years ago. Very early morning start - best time I've had there.

Thread Information