100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road

News From The Open Championship

Shot-making the key to Hoylake's challenge

19-Jul-2006 17:19 (BST)

Shot-making and creativity will be the key to victory says defending champion Tiger Woods as The Open Championship returns to Royal Liverpool after a gap of 39 years. Dry and sunny conditions have produced hard, fast-running fairways burnished to pale gold, a scene reminiscent of the days when the Championship was last played here over the traditional links of Hoylake.

"We like hard, fast links conditions. I think this year we've got it in spades," said R&A Chief Executive Peter Dawson on the eve of the 135th Championship. "The course is pretty fiery, just as we would want it from a ball-running point of view. We are very confident that we will have a good links condition golf course tomorrow morning. From what I hear from the players they are very much looking forward to the challenge.

"The task of the greenkeepers over the past few days has been to maintain those conditions whilst not letting the extreme heat that we are experiencing do any kind of permanent damage to the course, and we are managing to achieve that quite nicely at the moment."

There is the possibility of rain overnight and for short periods tomorrow, but not enough to change the playing condition of the course.

Tiger Woods summed it up concisely: "Overall it's going to be a fantastic challenge to play a golf course this fast. We don't get a chance to do this very often, but when we do, it sure brings back shot-making and creativity into the game."

Phil Mickelson, current holder of the USPGA and Masters titles, has put in the longest practice stint of all the leading contenders and feels he knows Hoylake well. "The course is very firm and fast, like all the courses we play in the rotation," he said, but this is tighter. It's not as wide at the entrance to the greens. And that can be very challenging when the wind picks up. The greens are a lot more narrow, too."

One of Britain's leading prospects, Luke Donald, twice a winner on the US Tour, predicted: "If the weather stays like this you can make a few birdies. The course is playing very short right now, which makes it tricky because you're running through fairways into bunkers and into rough. But the rough isn't up to much. It's been so hot that it's withered away a little bit."

Colin Montgomerie, second-place finisher behind Tiger Woods last year at St Andrews, likes the prospect. "This is a very different this year. This is the driest links course we've ever come to... and this might suit some that doesn't suit others. But I tend to keep the ball fairly straight and that's the key around here."

The conditions have probably opened up the chance of victory to a greater number of players. The United States provides the largest contingent at Hoylake with 43 players starting out tomorrow. England provide a further 29 and the withdrawal of South Africa's Trevor Immelman because his wife gave premature birth to their first child, opened the door for Australian Andrew Buckle to step into the Championship, bringing his country's tally of players to 23.

Scotland's contribution is down to only four players, fewer than Wales, Sweden, Spain and Japan.

Because of the weather conditions The R&A are asking smokers to take particular care as the risk of fire is great. Two fire tenders will be positioned on the course while the dry weather continues. Spectators are also advised to use plenty of suncream and to wear suitable non-slip shoes
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Weir shot a nice score this morning.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Very impressive leaderboard, but man, Padraig, you're letting me down! And Poulter just hit a triple bogey killing his good round. Good rebound by Darren Clarke on the back 9. I really don't like the look of this course. Yucky. I like my fairways green.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    There's a guy named "Robert Rock" at -3 right now... GREAT NAME!!!
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Before anyone says anything--Yep---Tiger will win--all you have do do is look at his eyes. Duval played well-maybe a couple of yips: and dont forget "Mikey"

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    I agree 100% big_mac!

TIger woods playing golf is like Micheal Jordan playing basket ball and I"m the same watching either . Estatic! I love it when Tiger is on the top of the leader board or close. I think he's gonna win and I"ll definately be rooting for him. Watching Tiger win is very satisfying.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    I read this on a British sports web site , and being from the same country as this man , and the first day leader , i can honestly say i feel a little proud at the moment...

Darren Clarke has announced that he is to quit golf "for the forseeable future" after The Open to care for his seriously ill wife. After shooting a three-under-par 69 on day one at Hoylake, a score that places Clarke three shots behind fellow Ulsterman Graeme McDowell, the 37-year-old announced his decision to be with wife Heather, who is suffering from cancer.
    "I've got other more pressing things to worry about," Clarke revealed. "I'm going to finish off this week and then I won't play again for the forseeable future.
    "I have no plans to play further at the moment."
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

"Richard"
    THe man was hitting all the putts today! Long, short, birde, par, eagle. Its good to see him playing well and smart of him to take the driver out of the bag (so to speak) on a course with 10 holes that have OB stakes. The guy hits his 2 far enough anyway, no need to use a driver. He should take the driver out of the bag completely and just use the 3w. Carry an extra wedge or soemthing so he isn't temped to hit the driver and miss it like he did today. Lucky for him it was a hole that he could afford to miss on but still.. keep it in the fairway tiger and you will win this open hands down

Quote Originally Posted by dH
    I agree 100% big_mac!

TIger woods playing golf is like Micheal Jordan playing basket ball and I"m the same watching either . Estatic! I love it when Tiger is on the top of the leader board or close. I think he's gonna win and I"ll definately be rooting for him. Watching Tiger win is very satisfying.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilster
    Darren Clarke has announced that he is to quit golf "for the forseeable future" after The Open to care for his seriously ill wife. After shooting a three-under-par 69 on day one at Hoylake, a score that places Clarke three shots behind fellow Ulsterman Graeme McDowell, the 37-year-old announced his decision to be with wife Heather, who is suffering from cancer.
    From everything I've seen, Clarke's a really good guy.

His wife has been fighting cancer for several years now. He took some time off last year or the year before when she was undergoing treatment. Unfortunately this doesn't sound good.

Let's hope there is a positive outcome.

MattGrass
    Clarke is one of the classy guys I think. Good luck to him and his wife. Dont know what I would do in his shoes....

Aaron

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Has anyone else been admiring that lovely shade of brown Royal Liverpool has put on display this week? Geez, had to adjust the colour controls on my tv just to get a green to look green.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    Has anyone else been admiring that lovely shade of brown Royal Liverpool has put on display this week? Geez, had to adjust the colour controls on my tv just to get a green to look green.
    Looks good doesn't it Geoff? That course is in great shape for an Open Championsip. just the way the R&A wanted it. Too bad the wind is not blowing.
    I am glad I have early morning tee times on the weekend. Woods in leading now and it makes it easier for me to miss the telecasts when he is leading. If anyone else is leading after the 2nd round I will have to tape the 3rd!

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    Tiger is on the tear.. -7 through 17.. Could break the course record set earlier today by Dimarco with a bird on the last hole.. They have to be regreting choosing this course for the open.. -12 through 2 rounds..
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

What more can be said

Caddy SGH is on a distinguished road SGH's Avatar
    It's actually very boring to watch. Other than Tiger's eagle today, the coverage was downright unentertaining. The course looks ugly, the players are tearing it apart, and I haven't seen many of the 'fun' shots that are normally seen at an Open Championship. Without the win this is a major dissapointment.

Awesome stuff I cant' wait to see thsi weekend and I love the brownlook it's soooo oldschool links. Tiger!!!!!

Mike who?

I have to agree with SGH to some point--Tiger "will" win but what happened to coverage of Mike Weir--these American broadcasters only have a one-track mind. After Tigers exit this am the featured coverage did not even mention him

Caddy SGH is on a distinguished road SGH's Avatar
    ^^This is an ongoing issue. I can't understand why cutting to shots of Mickleson warming up is more important/entertaining than seeing a contender like Weir hit an approach shot. Frustrating indeed.

Will tomorrows match turn out to be the match of the century?

Quote Originally Posted by big mac
    Will tomorrows match turn out to be the match of the century?
    You would think that Woods and Garcia are both smart enough to not put themselves into a match play situation.

If they do, someone from behind them could blow by them and win the Claret Jug.

I would love to see Garcia win his first Major.

in reply to "golfbum"

I hear you but I think Tiger has really matured in his thinking--just look at what he did with only irons--this has turned into more of a game of chess than "drive for show and putt for dough"------you have to think too! --and I really respect your opinion---by the way good on you for the non smoking

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I'm a Mike Weir fan, but it is understandable why they wouldn't feature him. Today, he turned a 3 under round into a 1 over round by bogeying 4 of the last 7 holes. That kind of play won't get you much air time.

I have to agree with SGH to some point--Tiger "will" win but what happened to coverage of Mike Weir--these American broadcasters only have a one-track mind. After Tigers exit this am the featured coverage did not even mention him

Hes not featured b/c he's at -3 even WITH A 4 under he'd be 7 under still no where near the lead. Also unless your Canadian Mike Weir isn't a big attention draw so why show him when he's outta contention so some canadians can watch tghere boy? We're a pop of ~30,000 smaller than cali alone. If he was in the heat he'd be featured.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Other than the one hole, I don't think I've ever seen a better display of golf than what Tiger is doing today. Just awesome, he's placing the ball perfectly on the green, hitting fwys, his putting pace in incredible. What else can be said. Very impressive to say the least.

But how annoying are all those idiots with the camera phones? I bet the R&A ban them next year.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    Other than the one hole, I don't think I've ever seen a better display of golf than what Tiger is doing today. Just awesome, he's placing the ball perfectly on the green, hitting fwys, his putting pace in incredible. What else can be said. Very impressive to say the least.

But how annoying are all those idiots with the camera phones? I bet the R&A ban them next year.
    Anyone want to buy 3 drivers? I am hitting irons from now on!
    You are correct Geoff, as much as I am not a Tiger Fan. It was impressive, he had a plan in place and he followed it. Garcia melted again.

As I said Tiger would win---but lets not forget DiMarco and Ells are also good-and Sergio--it takes time for anyone to mature. Anyway we all have something to watch for the forseeable future--I am heading to the driving range!

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    As I said Tiger would win---but lets not forget DiMarco and Ells are also good-and Sergio--it takes time for anyone to mature. Anyway we all have something to watch for the forseeable future--I am heading to the driving range!
    Tiger played well but everyone else with the exception of Dimarco that were in the running going into the final round pretty much hooped it up. Not to mention Garcia looks like a complete tool in skin tight yellow pants.

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    i would buy those pants in a second mate! haha, and the matching shoes, so classy... too bad he didnt have the golf game to match.. i was gunning for him big time. but big ups to t-dubs on the win

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    btw... whats the deal with the camera phones... why would they ban them bro? they dont make any noise, and their great memories for the fans. no like those idiots with the acctual cameras that made tiger stop like 7 times during his round to tell them to stop... i had $15 that stevie would break another guys camera... we all remember the first time back a few years ago

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by starvingstudent
    btw... whats the deal with the camera phones... why would they ban them bro? they dont make any noise, and their great memories for the fans. no like those idiots with the acctual cameras that made tiger stop like 7 times during his round to tell them to stop... i had $15 that stevie would break another guys camera... we all remember the first time back a few years ago
    They were camera phones with the stupid 'click' noise turned on, not actual cameras. Cameras are banned, you were allowed to carry a cell phone.

Thread Information