CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!

How far off am I???

Was wondering how much these irons are off from generally accepted industry standard lengths?

All measurements are approx. I don't have the proper clubmaker measuring device.

3 iron: 38.25"
    4 iron: 37.75"
    5 iron: 37.25"
    6 iron: 36.75"
    7 iron: 36"
    8 iron: 35.75"
    9 iron: 34.75"
    PW: iron: 34.75"

And like I said, there could easily be a variance of 1/8" or so. Just trying to get a general idea. Thanks.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

If anyone wants to confirm, I've done some research and it looks like I'm .5-.75" of an inch off on some irons. Should be interesting out on the course. Can you say "club up by two".
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Caddy KickerOfElves is on a distinguished road KickerOfElves's Avatar
    Depends on what you consider "standard". You are correct, depending on which OEM's clubs you are looking at, you are .5" to .75" too short.

Some OEMs say a 37.75" 5i with the grip on, some say 37.75" before the grip goes on, and some say 38" final length.

So those are a club to a club and a half shorter than you might be used to. Since they are different clubheads and shafts than you have played before, your mileage may vary. Figure out your 150yd club and determine your lengths from it.

Sweet, thanks man.

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    So, what brand are there Geoff?
    Proud member of the 2009 Ryder Cup winning team

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Kicker of Elves is right. They're about 1/2" short. In fact they are exactly the length of my Tourstages and I built them purposely to be that way.
    The lofts haven't changed so at most you'll be 1/2 a clublength shorter at that length and you may lose no distance at all due to your freakishly long arms .

Quote Originally Posted by rezadue
    So, what brand are there Geoff?
    I can't say Rez, you'll have to do some snooping around the website to find out. I acquired them in a trade yesterday. But if you look in the right spot you'll find your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Masson
    Kicker of Elves is right. They're about 1/2" short. In fact they are exactly the length of my Tourstages and I built them purposely to be that way.
    The lofts haven't changed so at most you'll be 1/2 a clublength shorter at that length and you may lose no distance at all due to your freakishly long arms .
    That's what I thought. Thanks for the replies all.

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    Boo!

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    I can't say Rez, you'll have to do some snooping around the website to find out. I acquired them in a trade yesterday. But if you look in the right spot you'll find your answer.
    Proud member of the 2009 Ryder Cup winning team

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Who's going to start the deathwatch on the 845Ms that Geoff is about to start playing?

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent
    Who's going to start the deathwatch on the 845Ms that Geoff is about to start playing?
    Already started mine. I sent him a PM at 6 this morning to put me first in line on them.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    I was at one of the hospitals in London this morning and the entrance door reminded me of Geoff's golf bag. That door was a non stop revolving model. Around and around it went, non stop!

I see you are a "Blade Man" now, let us know how that works out!
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    Was wondering how much these irons are off from generally accepted industry standard lengths?

All measurements are approx. I don't have the proper clubmaker measuring device.

3 iron: 38.25"
    4 iron: 37.75"
    5 iron: 37.25"
    6 iron: 36.75"
    7 iron: 36"
    8 iron: 35.75"
    9 iron: 34.75"
    PW: iron: 34.75"

And like I said, there could easily be a variance of 1/8" or so. Just trying to get a general idea. Thanks.
    Here are some "standard" measurements Geoff. You can use this as a guide. This is from Clubmaker.Net. Hope this helps.

http://www.clubmaker.net/golf_club_length_specs.htm

Shaft Length:
    Shaft length is measured from the top of the grip straight down the shaft to the sole of the club head. The length effects distance, accuracy and swing plane. Thus, shaft length is both a matter of personal fit and individual performance preference. Changing the length of the club has three major effects:
    1. Increasing or decreasing the shaft length changes the length of the swing arc, just as changing the radius of circle changes its circumference. As long as a player swings at the same tempo and is strong enough to handle a longer club, a longer shaft will give more club head speed and distance.
    2. Changing shaft length changes the plane of the golfer's swing. The golf swing takes place on a plane formed by the golfer's shoulders and the ball at address. When a longer golf club is used, the golfer must stand further from the ball. Thus the plane is "flatter," or closer to horizontal. When a shorter club is used the golfer must stand closer to the ball and the plane is more "upright" or vertical. Generally an upright swing is more accurate since the club face is aligned with the target for a longer time in the swing. A flatter swing, However is more powerful for many players.
    3. The longer shaft changes the position of the club head at impact. Because the golfer is standing further from the ball. The heal of the club head will move downward and the toe will move upward.
    http://www.bestbuygolfsupply.com/customfitting.asp
    Last edited by The Saint; 07-18-2006 at 08:12 AM.
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    We have gone over this before . There is no, I repeat, NO INDUSTRY STANDARD for lenght!!! Clubmakers use a benchmark standard where, a 5 iron, that measures 37.5", has a shaft that weighs120 grs.,a head that weighs 257grs, a grip that weighs 50grs. and a lie of 60* will come out to D0 swingweight.

P.S I think you knew I would be chimming in on this one

Quote Originally Posted by downhillslider
    We have gone over this before . There is no, I repeat, NO INDUSTRY STANDARD for lenght!!! Clubmakers use a benchmark standard where, a 5 iron, that measures 37.5", has a shaft that weighs120 grs.,a head that weighs 257grs, a grip that weighs 50grs. and a lie of 60* will come out to D0 swingweight.

P.S I think you knew I would be chimming in on this one

That's what I meant. I just gave the condensed version. And yes, I knew you'd have something to say about that.

Thread Information