CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    "Richard"

Banning belly putters

"When I poked a little, he said that he has a very good friend and source close to the USGA, which said that they are quietly but strongly making a firm push to have no putters longer than a pitching wedge by 2008."

Got this off google after searching to see if they were banning belly putters. I LOVE MY BELLY PUTTER! I've been putting great with it the last few days. Is it true??? Can they really ban a belly putter? And if the above is true, since I onlu carry 13 clubs can I not just carry a 45" pitching wedge so my belly putter is shorter than my pictching wedge?

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    U.S.G.A. has the right to change rules if they wish. They did it with the driver COR and MOI and size.
    They have that right. However Canada is not under the authority of the U.S.G.A. so unless the R.G.G.A. changes its ruling on putters the belly wand will stand. However you can just about bet whatever the U.S.G.A. does that Canada will follow.
    Somehow I don't think carrying a 45" wedge would qualify you to carry a belly putter thotho. Better start practicing with the regular length putter. Just in case!
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    The trick is to get really, really fat so 35" works just fine. Let's see the USGA mandate that!

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spackler
    The trick is to get really, really fat so 35" works just fine. Let's see the USGA mandate that!
    Now that I think about it a bit, that might not help you in your quest to play around with the women of OttawaGolf.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    As Golfbum stated the various governing bodies can ban anything they like.

Right now there is limit on the length of clubs (48" measured a very specific way).

If they do end up restricting the putter it would just be limited to specific length. They could also make a rule that prohibits you from using your body (belly or chest) as an anchor point during a stroke.

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum
    However Canada is not under the authority of the U.S.G.A. so unless the R.G.G.A. changes its ruling on putters the belly wand will stand. However you can just about bet whatever the U.S.G.A. does that Canada will follow.
    The RCGA doesn't actually make the rules. It contributes significantly to the discussions between the R&A and USGA who jointly make the Rules. They licence the RCGA to publish the rules in Canada. The RCGA administers and oversees the Rules of Golf and Amateur Status in Canada.

http://www.rcga.org/english/Rules/rules.asp

Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar
    I have always thought, that since you can 'anchor' it against your midsection it should be outlawed. Leads to less technique.
    If continuing to allow a belly putter, you might as well allow a chest harness to attach the handle to, and let it swing from there.
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

Albatross TourIQ is on a distinguished road TourIQ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkhark
    I have always thought, that since you can 'anchor' it against your midsection it should be outlawed. Leads to less technique.
    If continuing to allow a belly putter, you might as well allow a chest harness to attach the handle to, and let it swing from there.
    I think it would be GREAT to outlaw the belly putters since they are anchored to the body. Then lets see what game some pro's and amateurs really have
    It would put the end to a few careers. My vote is to make them illegal!
    Kind regards, Harry

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I personally couldn't care less. I've tried one before and anything over 15' is a complete crapshoot for me. Not sure if it will even get there let alone stay online. I don't ever plan on owning one, so a ruling, if and when it happens, really means nothing to me.

Although "Richard" did make some clutch putts with that belly putter during our match and at those times in particular I had wished they were banned.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar
    How many pros actually use a belly putter? I doubt this would have an effect on very many golfers.
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

Thread Information