100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    "Richard"

Correct way to repair a divot?

I fix them by sticking the divot tool into the edge of the ball mark and pushing the tool down on an angle to raise the grass under the ball mark but geoff told me it that rips the grass up from the roots under the divot. He sticks the divot tool into the ground at the edge of the ball mark and pulls the grass into the divot. I saw Mpare doing something different (not sure what he was doing). It looked like he was sticking the divot tool into the ball mark and twisting a few times. In each case they padded it down with the putter. Is there a correct way to fix the green? Minimize the dammage you do to the green when fixing the ball mark?

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    The idea is to push the roots and stems back into the center of the "pitch mark" Both methods you saw Geoff and Mpare doing work. Your method is not the best.

A "divot" us the dollar bill scraping your iron gouges out of the fairway. Retrieve it and put it back on courses with clay base. On sand base courses (top notch) you should fill the divot with sand/seed mix.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    From your description I think Geoff was pushing the grass into the divot, which is correct.

You never want to "lift" the ground under a ball mark because it creates an air pocket under the grass which kills it.

You always want to put the tool on the outside of the mark and push move it towards the center. After you're done you tap it down with the putter.

"Richard"
    Thats another thing, I tried to make a "divot" with my wedge today and it didn't work. I hit down on the ball more with my wedge trying to take out grass after I hit my ball and my club just bounced back up. The only time I can take a divot is when I chunk it or when its wet... any pointers mr. matchplay champion of the world?

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I don't do swing tips. That's for someone far more quallified than me. See a CPGA pro, or ask BC Mist!

"Richard"
    PM'ed him, lets see what he comes back with

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    Thats another thing, I tried to make a "divot" with my wedge today and it didn't work. I hit down on the ball more with my wedge trying to take out grass after I hit my ball and my club just bounced back up. The only time I can take a divot is when I chunk it or when its wet... any pointers mr. matchplay champion of the world?
    ThoTho, play courses that actually use the irrigation system in the fairways
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

"Richard"
    I play whatever my friends want me to play. I don't really have much choice when it comes to course selection. I've played a ton of golf the last two weeks. Tomorrow is one of my last rounds... I don't imagine getting more than 10 rounds in. Will try to play courses of my choice for the next 10 rounds. What courses do you recommend?

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    FYI, here are instructions from the golf course superindents.

http://www.gcsaa.org/resources/facts/ballmarks.asp

Thread Information