100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Lob Wedge kennedyk is on a distinguished road

shaft suggestion

I'm new to the club customization area of golf. I'm buying a driver and i want to switch the reg shaft to a stiff shaft. I had my club head speed tested at 100 mph. I'd want a mid-high trajectory. I'm looking in the $50-75 range and it has to be 0.350". What shats would the experts of the forum suggest?

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I'm going to beat BCMist to the punch on this one.

Unfortunately, there's no right answer to this because there is no consistency in what one manufacturer calls stiff.

Also, depending on what your swing is like, hard transition vs smooth transition, etc. two "stiff" shafts with different bend profiles will react/feel completely differently.

Ultimately you need try a few different ones and see what works best for you.

Lob Wedge kennedyk is on a distinguished road
    k, thanks a lot. I'll go out and do that soon.

Known entity lms is on a distinguished road lms's Avatar
    A starting point that accepts your swing speed, desired trajectory, etc. can be found here (for some shafts).

http://www.golfsmithcanada.com/shaft_selector.php

You could also go by Golfworks and see if they can help you select one. The gd purple ice was on sale last time I was in there for not too much more than your upper limit - I have one and like it. I suspect BCMist may know of a less expensive but good alternative.

Just because your driver head is 0.350 doesn't mean you can't use a 0.335 shaft. If you plan on experimenting with different shafts, I would not buy a .350 shaft as you can't use it in a 0.335 head. If you buy a .335 shaft, you can use it in either head by using a shim.

3 Wood mcnorth is on a distinguished road mcnorth's Avatar
    If you get the opportunity to go to one of those retailer demo days take it.
    A rep from Callaway was here at the course/range twice this year and Callaway has the demo drivers that they can quickly screw and unscrew shafts into. I was able to test three different shafts in regular and stiff flexes for each shaft model. I actually ended up getting a shaft I tried sorta "on a lark" and was quite surprised by the performance differences and how what I though I needed wasn't what I really needed. Without that experience I'd be probably 20 yards shorter than I am now and ballooning the ball something awful. Very interesting experience that provided immediate feedback.
    The retailer also had Ben Hogan, Cobra, and other products available but the FT3 Callaway driver with the quick fit was terrific for comparing shafts.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/FONT]

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    To make it more confusing... the shaft is only part of it. You can try a various number of shafts with different properties i.e. weight, length. bend points..etc in the same head and compare the difference for your swing... BUT.. put the same shaft you demoed in a different head and it all changes again because you have different length of bores, centre of gravity.. face angle..etc.. ... sorry
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by kennedyk
    I'm new to the club customization area of golf. I'm buying a driver and i want to switch the reg shaft to a stiff shaft.
    Why? What is a regular shaft? What is a stiff shaft?

Regardless of your swing speed, if the transition from your backswing to downswing is (1) smooth, (2) medium or (3) fast, a shaft that is (1) butt soft, (2) butt medium, (3) butt stiff, would work best for you.

If your wrsit kock release is (1) early, (2) mid, or (3) late, then a shaft that is (1) tip soft, (2) tip stiff, (3) tip stiff again is best for you. Until this information is known, combined with your 100 mph swing speed, selecting a shaft because it says "stiff" is a waste of time and especially money, and is one reason why so many golfers keep changing shafts.

For example: My swing speed matches yours. My transition is 2 and my wrist kock release is also 2. Examples of shafts that fit that combination are: Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 S, Graphite Design YS-6 S, UST V-2 S. I mention these as I have tried them all, they all perform identically, with slightly different feels and all are less than $100. If you were a 2/2 in those two areas, there are dozens of shafts within your swing speed range, that would be OK for you.

Knowing if you were a 1,2 or 3 in the areas mentioned would help.

I don't mind being beaten to the punch. This time!!!

Thread Information